What is the best way to carry concealed when you are out with your small children?

ang_c1977

What is the best way to carry concealed when you are out with your small children? My son may want me to pick him up at times and I'm concerned about carrying on my body while I am out with my child.

What do you suggest? What about carrying in a purse specifically designed for concealed carry? Where do you find these purses for sale?

Thank you,

Angie Anderson

A SmartCarry might work for you. Keeps the gun up front and down low, and doesn't require a belt. I've felt more comfortable holding my little ones (5 & 7) with my SmartCarry than with an IWB.

Off-body carry makes me nervous from a security standpoint. Too easy to leave it sitting somewhere.

Carrying concealed when out with a small child

What is the best way to carry concealed when you are out with your small children? My son may want me to pick him up at times and I'm concerned about carrying on my body while I am out with my child.

What do you suggest? What about carrying in a purse specifically designed for concealed carry? Where do you find these purses for sale?

Thank you,

Angie Anderson

Angie: what exactly are your concerns? Printing? Have the child feel the gun? Not being able to reach the gun if you are holding him?

There are purses for CCW available. Just Google "purses for CCW" and a bunch of sites will pop up like Gun Tot'n Mamas, Magills, etc. Like the previous poster, however, I am not a fan of off the body carry--too easy to have it purse-snatched or to leave it unattended (in a grocery cart, on the car seat next to you, etc).

I carry IWB with a thin Kahr MK9. I do a lot of bending and reaching throughout the day, and I have trained myself to automatically straighten my cover clothing (casual fit T-shirt, polo shirt, fleece top or jacket) when I get out of the car, finish lifting something or reaching for something, so no one has ever been the wiser that I am armed.

I have hugged and picked up children to carry them on the weak side hip, and no one has ever said anything so I do not think I have exposed the gun in doing so.

Please let us know what your exact concerns are so we can address them with our own recommendations or share our experiences with you.

As to carrying in your purse I would say to not do it. When someone targets you they will likely be going after your purse. If they do this there is a good chance that you will lose your firearm to the thief.

As to carrying with a baby you can check out Limalife on youtube. She has some great advise for women carrying.

I also am not a proponent of purse carry. I've heard it said that there are only two things a criminal wants from a woman and one is her purse. If your purse is stolen your defensive tool goes with it and you have armed a criminal. Here are a couple options for you.

looperlawenforcement.com

I got a carry purse at my favorite gun shop - it was really helpful to be able to take it over to the counter & see if a gun the size of mine would fit. It's a last resort, though, for reasons mentioned by others. If you get one with a lockable zipper (or get a tiny padlock that will fit through the zipper), it's good for storage & travel purposes too.

I carry appendix-IWB and picking up my kids hasn't been a problem. If I pick up a niece or nephew, I'll put them on the other hip to prevent any questions. I'm not worried about it safety-wise - if a 4yo can pick the gun out of my holster without my stopping them, I'd have no business carrying anything.

This same issue has been on my mind a lot lately, since I have a 1-year-old son. You didn't say how old your children are - so I'll tell you my experiences so far over the last year.

FYI - I generally carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 45 full size, strong side (right side for me) in a kydex holster on my belt. I usually wear a vest or similar open-front cover garment.

In the first few months after my son was born, we carried him everywhere in the car seat, the kind with the carry handle. I quickly realized that I had to carry the car seat in my left hand - otherwise my gun would be pointed right at him. I also realized that a better option was to use the stroller to which the car seat attached.

As he got past 6 months, we changed to a front-facing car seat that remained in the vehicles. Using the stroller continued to be the best option while armed. On the occasions when I would carry him in my arms (either at my chest or on my right side), he would sometimes kick my gun. Not a big deal since the gun is drop-safe and the holster has excellent retention, but it would still nearly stop my heart.

I quickly realized that when I carried him in my arms, it was best to shift him to my left side. In addition to keeping his little feet away from my gun, carrying him on the left side would allow me to put my body between him and the attacker, while also allowing me to access and draw my gun. I am attaching two photos to illustrate this. Yes, my little boy is in both photos.

Link RemovedLink Removed

Please note - the gun in the photos was verified unloaded by myself and my wife, chamber was flagged, and it was always pointed in a safe direction.

I would not recommend off-body carry such as a purse or fanny-pack, mainly because you need two hands to draw, and you want to have at least one hand free to manage your child / children, or to fend off an attacker while drawing.

I would definitely not recommend a shoulder holster. If you carry your child on your weak side your holster is obstructed. If you carry your child on your strong side, your shooting hand is occupied.

So, you need to think in terms of:

- Is my firearm drop-safe and impact-safe?
- Does my holster adequately guard the trigger against an accidental activation?
- Does my holster offer adequate retention against an unexpected grab or kick from a child?
- Does my method of carry allow for access and presentation while I am carrying or otherwise minding my child/children?
- What method of carrying or transporting my child will be most conducive to carrying a handgun as well?

In short - try to think about the whole picture, rather than just the method of carry.

Hope this helps!

Great post Phillip

One thing I want to add to Phillip's post is if you are carrying your child and you have to defend yourself you should be able to hit your target while firing with one hand.
Make sure your training invloves one handed practice as if you had your child in your arms, i.e. your body is angled so your child is the furthest from the threat. Just as Phillip depicts in his photos.

Waiting on my CWP to arrive by mail. The 60-day mark is tomorrow. I have a very active 6 & 2 year old. I'm a bit nervous to carry around them, but knowing the world we live in, I feel I need to. I guess time will put my mind @ ease.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back