What is good home defense ammo for SD9VE

forget the ammo, get a better gun! while that S&W may have an attractive price for a very few bucks more you can get a far better weapon.
then get yourself some training and knowledge.

not really interested in discussing what gun to get since I've ordered this one. I spent a good month reading reviews, looking at youtube videos on various guns and found the only negative thing mentioned about the SD9VE was that it didn't cost enough. Plus I already have a 4 inch Taurus 357 magnum revolver and will eventually get a22 rifle, shotgun, and maybe another smaller concealed gun to carry. I know - i shoulda got a s&W or ruger instead of the Taurus lol.

I'll be getting a S&W SD9VE this weekend. It will be my first 9 mm pistol, and I'm trying to decide what would be good ammo for home defense. I'm thinking hp that's subsonic so there's no loud sonic boom. Any suggestions on weight and/ or brand ?

Thanks!
Aside from the gun itself not being a quality piece, its heavy, not that accurate, feels like a hunk of iron, if your trying to run low power ammo through any 9mm, your going to most likely have trouble, because even if you can find 9mm ammo that does not have a sonic crack when fired, it probably wont operate the guns slide enough to rack in another rd so you will probably end up with a jam, now if you just want some ammo that's relatively safe to shoot inside, so as to avoid over penetration you can use any of the superlight weight self defence rds, Glasers, or DTRs, anything with a real lightweight bullit, but you will still have a sonic boom sound, and try to find a better gun, Glocks are fairly bullit proof, so to speak, and are real forgiveing to different ammo,

Hmmmmm... that's what i felt about the glock i rented. The sd9ve felt sexy, shot straignt and never misfired.... and it was $200 less expensive : )

Howdy indyyy,

There's nothing wrong with your pistol other than it has a heavy trigger pull. I know people that have one and others that have the .40cal version and have never had any problems out of them.

Any good name brand JHP bullet will work just fine for SD or HD.

I'm not a 9mm fan but I do prefer a 124gr/127gr +P or +P+ load over the 115gr or 147gr loads.

HTH

Paul

Read: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Watch:

Buy any Federal HST (HST not Hydra-Shok, Hydra-Shok is the old design), Speed Gold Dot, or Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty, and you will be fine. Buy enough ammo to make sure that the ammo cycles properly in your weapon from first to last round in your carry magazines. Also, ammo lasts for a long time and self defense ammo is often difficult to find at the right price.

Link Removed currently has Speer Gold Dot LE 115 gr for $0.50/round and Hornady Critical Duty LE 135 gr +P for $0.54/round. I would go with the Hornady Critical Duty LE 135 gr +P.

thanks paul. I've gathered the same from googling and talking with others and thought i'd ask in here as well. Until a few months ago I didn't know the difference between a hollow pt and regular ammo so I'm learning. It took a few weeks for me to choose between the SD9VE and M&P compact shield - shield is probably a better pistol but i opted for the 16 round mag since someone mentioned they may become illegal one day. But may wind up getting a shield later since it's smaller and easier to conceal.

The heavier trigger pull may be interesting - I'm a bit more used to a DA revolver so they may be similar in feel.

My vietnam vet friend also prefers 45 over 9 mm, but for me the 9 mm has enough of a kick - once i get used to it, who knows
maybe I'll try a 45. : )

Corbon DPX is what James Yeager uses. I have personally stayed away from this round as other rounds, like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Duty, have documented terminal ballistic capabilities based on the FBI standard, including barrier penetration capability. See for the Hornady Critical Duty data here: Link Removed

I was able to find the Hornady Critical Defense 135 grain that bofh recommended for a couple dollars less at https://www.ammunitiondepot.com . I compared the price to what cheaperthandirt is offering them for and it's a real bargain (ammunition depot $25 for 50 rounds, cheaper than dirt $20 for 25 rounds. Thanks bofh !

I have an sw9ve (not sd9ve) and I'd bet my life on it. The sd9ve is an improved model so you're doing fine. Though I have a Sig P250 40sw for SD my 9mm has Hornady 115 or 135 FTX standard pressure for backup.

Corbon DPX is what James Yeager uses. I have personally stayed away from this round as other rounds, like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Duty, have documented terminal ballistic capabilities based on the FBI standard, including barrier penetration capability. See for the Hornady Critical Duty data here: Link Removed

Realistically for me, if i have to shoot someone, it will be within 15 yards. I think for close quarter personal defense, a well placed shot is more critical than the ballistic characteristics. As part of my drill, i practice by starting from my draw, and fire two shots to center mass (starting from double action) and then place the 3rd shot in the T zone. Another reason I use CorBon DDPX is because its solid copper and lead free. I run through 2-300 rounds every other weekend, and i also use magtech clean range TMJ for most of my target practice as well. Dont need the additional lead exposure if i can help it.

I used to be very hung up on ballistic results, but one instructor told me knowing where to shoot could be more valuable then what to shoot with. Just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back