What firearm would you suggest as a my first carry gun?

JetStream7032

Hi all...I'm beginning the process of educating myself on all there is to know about concealed carry. I'm wondering if you all could suggest some options for my first carry gun? I currently own a S & W 1911 in .45 ACP and love to shoot it. However, it's much too large. I'd like to stay with .45 since that's what I currently handload. At this moment, I like the Springfield XD Mod 2. I like the compact size and love the "look" of the firearm.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

A .45 1911 is a good gun, but remember pistols are only weapons of last resort. You need to carry a rifle or shotgun, because the day when a biker gang shows up to kill you and sell your family into sexual slavery, you're going to want more than a pistol.

Welcome to the forum. (Just ignore Wild Dog.)

The best advice: go to a range that rents firearms and try them out. Also, read/watch actual Internet reviews, not the promotional pieces on typical gun Web sites and not the Internet gun expert videos where a guy shoots a single magazine through a clean gun and says it is great.

The look of a firearm is the last thing you should be concerned about. Does it work reliably? Can you shoot it well (i.e. accurate and fast)? Can you operate the firearm efficiently (i.e. placement of controls)? Can you find a holster for it? Does it come with extra magazines or can you buy some? How easy and cheap is it to replace worn-out parts? You can find a lot of information in forums that are specific to the manufacturer and handgun you are considering.

Also something to consider: consistency. You have a 1911 and now you are getting a striker-fired handgun with no manual safety. Train and regularly shoot the gun you are going to carry and relegate the other one to a safe queen (range gun only).

I agree with bofh, Take your time to look and shoot. Pick some up and handle, see what fits your hand. To be truthful there are a lot of weapons out there and not all are US made and even some of those are made in other countries. I own a Springfield XD 40 caliper, Taurus 40 Cal., Bersa 380 (all metal and only plastic in it is the grips) and a 357 revolver. Like you I loved the 45 Colt military but it was harder to conceal during the warm months. My problem is I like all of these I have and have fired all of them many times. I like the Taurus and Bersa cause they are single stack and fit my short fingers. But I can fire a double stack also. Go look around and if possible shoot a few rounds from many weapons (military still part of me after all these years) till you find what really talks to you and says buy me. Personally I like the 40 caliper cause it is close to the 45 caliper and yet falls between the 9 mm and 45 caliper. My thought anyway. I wouldn't trade any of the ones I have. Only buy more LOL.

I only carry single stacks as I don't like heavy carry pistols. So shield , XDS or Glock 43.

Single stack?!!! That simply won't do. You're what I call the walking dead, because you might as well be unarmed. A single stack is not going to protect you the day a rape-gang of teens high on PCP decide to come after you.

I also agree with bofh. Check out different models. Choose one that fits good for you and one you can hit the target with. Bigger isn't always better. Single stack is thinner and lighter then a double stack. Carry a gun that is comfortable for you to carry. Be aware of potential trouble spots. shopping centers, movie theaters, large gatherings of people..........

I just purchased a xds .45 for carry and I really like it so far. Have not put many rounds through it yet, but I have only heard good reviews on the durability of this gun. It is really comfortable on my belt.

Howdy,

Single stack?!!! That simply won't do. You're what I call the walking dead, because you might as well be unarmed. A single stack is not going to protect you the day a rape-gang of teens high on PCP decide to come after you.

Holy Batcrap!!

I've waited for over 25 years to be gang raped by an entire female high school cheerleader squad and so far it hasn't happened.

Sad but true.

Paul

P.S. There was that one time while I was in college and there was a high school cheerleader camp held there but that only involved two girls and not the entire squad.

You're right, function, grip and such are priority. I have a local gun shop that has guns to rent, but is so expensive. $15 for an hour and you have to buy thier ammo. But I guess spending $80 to try several out is better than $500 for a gun that's not the best fit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back