What do you guys bring with you when you instruct

dustwebbs

I'm a new firearms instructor I would like to know what equipment you guys carry. I'm a firearms instructor for the state of Ohio I teach shotgun and semi auto pistol. The bad thing is I only teach once a year unless they need me to teach at our academy which is few and far between.

Sent from my XT907 using USA Carry mobile app

Student packets (books, certificates, pamphlets), Marksman qualification program materials, FL pistol permit application pack, about 25 holsters for students to play with, a blue gun, a .22 caliber Browning Buckmark for students' firs shots, instructional posters and powerpoint presentation.

Depends on the class I'm giving what I bring out, but I got tired of dragging boxes and bags of things to the classroom at the gun club and now just have students come to my house. Then I can get out anything we need. I limit classes to just five students each, so it's not a problem.

For a basic pistol class, I have all of the materials listed in the NRA teacher's manual, as well as supplemental material I've developed over the years. The box of holsters comes out for the CC class. The one that involves the most materials is the "Personal Protection in the Home" class. Lots of stuff to simulate a "safe room," cover and concealment, and much more.

If you only give a class once a year, I do hope you are reviewing your teaching aids carefully, starting several days in advance. Best advice is to keep it as simple as possible. It is easy to wind up with too much stuff... I go through my tote boxes before each class the night before and set out only what I think I will actually need. The rest is there if I find I have to get it out, but most of the time the presentation of the basics is best kept simple.

I taught Edie Eagle last week to about 25 kids. While the majority of the kids were great I see why we're in trouble. One kid immediately tore-up his class materials because his dad made him take the class. Two others somehow got all their materials soaking wet. Another read the workbook and threw-it away. He then asked for another. Two others got into a shoving match over a chair. At the end of class there were materials all over the floor and tables. The winner was an 11-year-old who told me it's all B.S. He says I should be teaching him how to shoot burglars instead of gun safety. Still scratching my head.

Depends on the class I'm giving what I bring out, but I got tired of dragging boxes and bags of things to the classroom at the gun club and now just have students come to my house. Then I can get out anything we need. I limit classes to just five students each, so it's not a problem.

For a basic pistol class, I have all of the materials listed in the NRA teacher's manual, as well as supplemental material I've developed over the years. The box of holsters comes out for the CC class. The one that involves the most materials is the "Personal Protection in the Home" class. Lots of stuff to simulate a "safe room," cover and concealment, and much more.

If you only give a class once a year, I do hope you are reviewing your teaching aids carefully, starting several days in advance. Best advice is to keep it as simple as possible. It is easy to wind up with too much stuff... I go through my tote boxes before each class the night before and set out only what I think I will actually need. The rest is there if I find I have to get it out, but most of the time the presentation of the basics is best kept simple.

I never thought it a good idea to teach strangers in my home. You're showing them the inside of the house, the entrances, alarms, dogs, locations, etc.

Depends on the class for me too. I have separate tote boxes of specific equipment for each class. I also have a tote with extra eye & ear pro, belts, holsters, etc. and another for range equipment. A First Aid and Trauma kit. Individual folders of paperwork for each class containing outlines, handouts and release forms. A cooler full of water. Depending on where I'm teaching I may add a folding table, chairs, popup canopy, target stands, etc.

Depends on the course I am Instructing and the student experiance level. Now matter I always have: Trauma care kit, hearing protection, some eye protection, Range Bag (with cleaning kit, extra holsters, basic gunsmith kit, 2 staplers, staples, Targets), Camera, Target Stands, and few table's, Packets.

If I have access to a training classroom my tote with projector, power points, lesson plans, Dummy rounds, dummy pistol, rubber knife, dry erase boards, cleaning kit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back