What do I need to be legal in MA?

Vanquished

Blue State Conservative
Hey Everyone,
I'm having a little trouble understanding the laws in MA (go figure), I just moved back up here from SC and while I was in SC I purchased a Taurus .40 pistol...
In Massachusetts I'm just wondering what/how to get in order to legally be able to keep my gun on my property and I guess occasionally move it unloaded and secured in a vehicle (if I go to a range or whatever).
I see the all the LTC stuff in Massachusetts law and I wanted to know if I have to get a LTC or if there was something lesser I could get since I don't ever intend to carry it on me in public. The gun is for home protection and range shooting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
-Vanq

Hi Vanq

Here's the scoop. The LTC class A allows you to have large cap handguns, rifles. & shotguns. The LTC class B allows for non large cap handguns, large cap rifles & shotguns. The FID is for non large cap rifles & shotguns (no handguns). The requirements & cost are the same for all of them, so go for the LTC class A. Go for the class A & you'll be all set. The chief of police can put restricts on your license...or not. It depends on if he's pro-gun or not. You can as for "all lawful purposes" or "no restrctions". Those mean you can carry concealed if you want. Other than that it could say "employement", "sport", "target", "hunting".

You have to take a class from a certified MA State police instructor. I am one. Contact me via private message(?) And we can work something out. Good Luck!

Revolverboy

Hey Everyone,
I'm having a little trouble understanding the laws in MA (go figure), I just moved back up here from SC and while I was in SC I purchased a Taurus .40 pistol...
In Massachusetts I'm just wondering what/how to get in order to legally be able to keep my gun on my property and I guess occasionally move it unloaded and secured in a vehicle (if I go to a range or whatever).
I see the all the LTC stuff in Massachusetts law and I wanted to know if I have to get a LTC or if there was something lesser I could get since I don't ever intend to carry it on me in public. The gun is for home protection and range shooting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
-Vanq

When you moved into MA with guns, you started a 60 day clock from that date to get your permit. While there is a 60 day grace period, once that passes your technically in illegal possession of them, which is a felony. During that 60 days, they must remain locked up and not leave the house including the range. You would need an LTC-A as your .40 pistol is large capacity. As the other post says, there all the same price always apply for the LTC-A. Also NEVER tell them you just want it for home defense/range. Apply for a non-crippled permit. Many people misunderstand the LTC-B, it will control what guns you can own, more than you think.(ie: A Glock 19 with a 10rd mag is illegal, BECAUSE a 15 rd mag can be put into it!) Always go for LTC-A.

If you haven't you'll need to take the NRA safety course given by a MA State Police Certified instructor, apply to your local PD for the permit. Depending on where you live it could be a quick painless process or a long drawn out nightmare.

Hey,
So, i'll definitely go for a LTC A I guess.
I live in Wellesley MA,
Here are the requirements for Wellesley: Link Removed

Specifically the two letters from non-relatives and the letter of intent have me a bit worried. I'm assuming the letters of reference from non-relatives can be from friends?

And for the letter of intent, I still don't know what to say. I have the gun already so that is my main reason for getting a license up here and the other reasons are home defense and range shooting. Currently the gun is locked in a safe (and has not left the house since I've been in MA) and has been unloaded. Just don't know what to say since my work doesn't require it and I haven't received a threat on my life...

Thanks,
-Vanq

Also, I've read that I'm not required to tell them what firearms I already possess. Does that sound right?
-Vanq

(we'll see if my previous post with link to Wellesley MA requirements makes it up before this one)

EDIT: It's still in moderation, so without the link Wellesley requires 2 letters of reference from non-relatives, and the letter of intent. I still don't know what I'm supposed to say in the letter of intent. I've read elsewhere that I should use the term "for all lawful purposes" because I shouldn't have to give a reason. I read that the "hunting and target" restriction on the LTC-A also allows use of personal defense on your property so should I give that as the reason so as not to get denied or should I go the "all lawful purpose" route and if hope I don't get denied. Would it be more likely for them to issue a restricted LTC-A over a complete denial?

I have no criminal record or history of violence or anything like that.
Thanks,
-Vanq

For the 2 reference letter, they do need to state that those people think you're suitable to posses firearms. Don't use a lketter of recommendation from your work. For the other letter, I'd suggest everything that you're interested in doing with the gun & your previous experience, how long you've been shooting, that you used to hunt with your father when you were young and that you had the guns before you moved here. Don't be intimidated. "All lawful purposes" or "no restrictions" means that you can do anything legal with the fireamrs. Target shoot, need it for work, carry when hiking, carry concealed....whatever.

As snatale said, you're supposed to get the license 60 days after you move here. So get on it. And, no you do not need to tell them what you own. Its your perosnal belongings and you do not need to inform them. However, if you were to sell one to a MA resident, then you will start apaper trail for that gun.

Hey Everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know I applied for my LTC-A today in Wellesley, MA (green town). Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I'm granted the LTC.

As soon as I left the police department I realized that I forgot how I would find out if my application was approved or rejected, does anyone know how we're notified in MA?
Thanks,
-Vanq

Hey Everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know I applied for my LTC-A today in Wellesley, MA (green town). Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I'm granted the LTC.

As soon as I left the police department I realized that I forgot how I would find out if my application was approved or rejected, does anyone know how we're notified in MA?
Thanks,
-Vanq

If your not legally disqualified, you WILL get your LTC, the question is whether it will be restricted. Assuming you didn't say anything stupid that would make them restrict you, you shouldn't have any problems in Wellesley. Keep us up to date. If your denied, they will notify you by mail, Most PD's will call you when they get your LTC to tell you to pick it up. Per law they have 40 days to approve/deny you.....BUT it sometimes takes longer anyways. Again, Wellesley is a green town so it should go pretty smooth.

Thanks a bunch,
I sat in a room with one of the police officers as he filled out the form on the computer and asked me for my answers, I double checked to make sure everything was all correct so the stupid answer thing shouldn't be a problem. My reason letter may provide an area of trouble for an unrestricted LTC, I gave three reasons, I often take my elderly grandmother to her doctors appointments and she is unable to evade a threat should one arise, I like to go camping and hiking and having an LTC would aid in protecting against large animal attacks, and finally I said for home defense... I know a lot of people say not to mention home defense but it is a very important issue to me. I can't figure out why I wouldn't get an LTC at all, since Wellesley is a Green town, so I feel you're probably right, just a matter of restricted or not, I hope its unrestricted.

On another note, I think I know the answer to this but after looking at the MA law on this I now have no clue... My pistol has an 11 round clip (came from where it was 100% legal). My instructor told me that the MA limit is 10 rounds, looking on line it says "Large capacity feeding devices designed for handguns may be possessed only by persons holding a Class A license to carry. Ch. 140, § 131(a)"... So, did I misunderstand my instructor in that he was talking only about assault weapons not ever being able to have more than 10 rounds or is my pistol with 11 round clips still illegal even if I am granted my LTC-A?

Thanks a bunch!
-Vanq

Vanq,
Here's where it gets "tricky". It depenfs on that magazine. If it was made before Sept 13. 1994 then its ok to have. If it was made after that date its not ok to have. That's when the Assult Weapon Ban started. MA adpoted & made permanant the Clinton/AWB. So magazines made after that date, even if you have a LTC Class A where yiu can have hi cap mags, are illegal to have.

Now, how do you know when it was made? Good damnm question. A lot of times you can't. But if the gun model is newer then they weren't makeing them before 94 & you can't have it.

Vanq,
Here's where it gets "tricky". It depenfs on that magazine. If it was made before Sept 13. 1994 then its ok to have. If it was made after that date its not ok to have. That's when the Assult Weapon Ban started. MA adpoted & made permanant the Clinton/AWB. So magazines made after that date, even if you have a LTC Class A where yiu can have hi cap mags, are illegal to have.

It should be noted to the OP post ban mags are only illegal IF they are over 10rds. Which his is, but your wording makes it appear ALL post bans are illegal.

But if the gun model is newer then they weren't makeing them before 94 & you can't have it.

Not true. In most cases mfg's have 10rd mags for most guns thanks to stupid states like MA, as far as the gun model, that's irrelevant.

Thank you both for the help. The gun I have is a Taurus PT100, so it may or may not have been around before 1994(I know the 9mm version was), I think I understand what revolverboy was saying though, that if the gun wasn't made before '94 it means there are no pre-ban clips around, and thus in no way will an 11+ round magazine be legal. Because my gun was purchased new I'm fairly certain my magazines would have also been assembled post-ban, so I guess according to what you guys are saying (and what the instructor said I think) I will need to get new magazines even if my LTC-A is approved. Correct?

Just kind of sucks because magazines are expensive and it seems like such a waste for 1 round, and really 0 rounds since I never load 11 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I know I can purchase 10 rd clips for the PT100, actually when I purchased the gun I had the option of choosing a 10 or 11 round clip, I didn't think twice about it and chose the 11 round not realizing that clip size mattered depending on the state you lived in... Lessons learned I guess...

Thanks again for everything!
-Vanq

I think I understand what revolverboy was saying though, that if the gun wasn't made before '94 it means there are no pre-ban clips around

NO, it doesn't mean that at all! It MAY, but if that model (or mag more importantly) has been around you may find some! People do it all the time.

I'm fairly certain my magazines would have also been assembled post-ban, so I guess according to what you guys are saying (and what the instructor said I think) I will need to get new magazines even if my LTC-A is approved. Correct?

The mag only has to be pre-ban IF it's over 10rds. If it's a 10rd or less it can be post ban (new).

To simplify since it seems the mag law in MA is confusing you

For your 11rd mag to be legal it must be pre-ban
If you buy a 10rd mag for it it doesn't matter when it was made....Simple :) A quick google show there ARE 10rd mags available for your gun so no big deal. Much easier to just replace than hunt down pre-bans for it if they even exist. If you were being downsized from 16rds to 10, maybe I'd look harder but not worth it for 1rd. a 10rd mag still give you 11 total so your good.

Perhaps I wasn't clear on my responses but thats what I meant. when I said "that if the gun wasn't made before '94" I meant model...

I know that 10 round magazines are legal, my only question was regarding the 11 round magazines that I have

Thanks,
Vanq

Hey Everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know that I finally received my unrestricted LTC the other day.
Took 56 days for them to call me and say it was in. Not too long on the PD's part considering it was issued on the 19th (7 days before they called me but obviously with Christmas and a weekend included in that time-span).
Cheers!
-Vanq

Congrats! Finally on getting the license. The state says they will get the license in 40 days. 56 is not bad. You can & should contact Gun Owners Action Leage (goal.org) as they're looking for people who did not get their license in 40 days. They're fighting with the state about this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back