We need to get some regulations.

misunderstood

This past friday i went to a gas station to buy some lottery tickets. I sat in trick while old lady goes into buy. I pull up the store a different way then usual. While waiting patiently for my old lady to come out i notice in the window bottom corner of the glass is the no concealed handgun sign. On a window less than 2 percent of the customers see. No door or entrance on this wall. This sticker appears no where else on building. And according to nc law this sticker carries weight of law. I have shopped the store since opening. Never knew i was not allowed to carry concealed in store. We need some form of regulations on these stickers to prevent a unintentional criminal.

You need to be careful. There is an iPhone/iPod Touch app that shows locations that are not 2A friendly.
Other than the above, concealed means concealed.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Fortunately, in Kansas the sign must be:
within 12" of the door
at ALL public entrances
unobstructed
in good repair
4'-6' off grade level
no less than 6" diameter graphic

Any not meeting ALL those requirements are:

not enforceable and
probably a shop owner who knows that you know you can carry but their paranoid customers think no guns are around

It is enforcable, but is it safe??

This past friday i went to a gas station to buy some lottery tickets. I sat in trick while old lady goes into buy. I pull up the store a different way then usual. While waiting patiently for my old lady to come out i notice in the window bottom corner of the glass is the no concealed handgun sign. On a window less than 2 percent of the customers see. No door or entrance on this wall. This sticker appears no where else on building. And according to nc law this sticker carries weight of law. I have shopped the store since opening. Never knew i was not allowed to carry concealed in store. We need some form of regulations on these stickers to prevent a unintentional criminal.

To other Bloggers on this topic: Misunderstood is correct, in NC it IS an enforceable "gun free zone" if the store owner visibly posts it as such. The "visible" issue might be subjectively argued in this case, but that's not worth the real fight. This is one reason I prefer a pocket holster and a pistol(9mm Diamondback) that's small enough to carry that way. If I miss the sign at least my pistol isn't seen. Open carry might be the answer, but before I "kicked that dog" I'd want to research it further. In the meantime I tell the story owner that I won't be back because I don't feel safe in his little "gun free zone" store, and that I'll be sure my 2A suppoter friends are also aware of the risk they take when entering his store. I then tell my new favorite establishment why I switched to patronizing their store. ;-)

I'd carry openly then.

Problem is not that the store is against conceal problem is i didnt know because like 90 percent of the patrons that go in there dont see the sign. It is not on an entrance wall but a wall where no one walks. And i know some one that works for these chain stores and reason the sign is up of one of the cashiers see a gun and call cops they can say that have sign. Owner scared of beening sued. Everyone of his stores has them some where in a window. Owner doesn't care if i go back. Im just a drop on bucket. I think i need to write rep to get a bill started. Any ideas on regulations for these stickers. One on every entrance, 3-4 feet off ground, no less than six inches in diameter?

Write your reps and ask tha tin the absence of regulations detailing the posting of such signage, that legislation be passed for the same reason you mentioned. Un-intentional violation.

That fact that as a CCW holder you have been certified as one of the 'good guys' by passing criminal background checks; it'd be a shame to be 'converted' into one of the bad guys for not having sharper eyes.

Most states where a no gun sign is enforceable have guidelines as to size, location, the exact wording, and the cite relating to the applicable law. For example in WA a sign posted on the door of fast food place is not enforceable, but the signs leading to a bar restricted to patrons over 21 are. Don't ask your state to pass more laws, we already have way too many.

Nebraska law just says it must be "conspicuous". We tried this session with LB352 to get more details into the law but I don't think it made it out of the Judiciary Committee.

I'm pretty sure that if it isn't pretty close to the door that it wouldn't be enforced here especially if it can't even be seen as you approach the door. The problem is that once you know about it you are expected to comply.

GW store near here has a sign saying no CC so I asked the mgr about it and said that next time I'd be OC'ing. She shrugged her shoulders. So from then on....

Several months ago one of the clerks asked if I was a police officer. I said No and asked why. She mentioned my gun and said there's a sign. I 'splained to her that I OC.

She asked what concealed means. Had to splain that to her too. Not a problem since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back