Wax Bullets

jfisch

Resident Troll
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used/made wax bullets for practice? I know they're primarily used in revolvers, since they aren't strong enough to cycle a semi-auto, but was wondering if anyone had ever tried them with a semi-auto?

I used to shoot cowbiy fast draw, uses 45 long colt cartrige, a wax plug propelled with just a primer. (The cartrige us specially made for this). Ove never seen or heard of something like that in an auto. The wax gums up the barrel pretty fast so ckeaning is fairly constant.

I used to shoot cowbiy fast draw, uses 45 long colt cartrige, a wax plug propelled with just a primer. (The cartrige us specially made for this). Ove never seen or heard of something like that in an auto. The wax gums up the barrel pretty fast so ckeaning is fairly constant.

Yeah, I figured the wax would be hard on the barrel and probably other parts too.
I'm just wondering if making wax bullets is any cheaper than just reloading plinking ammo? Probably but only by a bit and you're not really getting the "full effect" of shooting with the lack of recoil and such. Time, money, and effort would probably be better spent on just reloading.
If I had a revolver I'd probably look into it more.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used/made wax bullets for practice? I know they're primarily used in revolvers, since they aren't strong enough to cycle a semi-auto, but was wondering if anyone had ever tried them with a semi-auto?

I know nothing of this but have to wonder how a wax bullet would hold up to hitting a feed ramp?

I know nothing of this but have to wonder how a wax bullet would hold up to hitting a feed ramp?

From what I've seen is that the wax is actually all the way in the casing up against the primer. It uses the primer to fire it only, no additional gun powder so the only thing hitting the feed ramp would be the edge of the casing. That might cause some wear on its own though.

Not wax, but Speer makes a plastic bullet that you push into one of their plastic cases. It also only uses a primer.
I use them in a revolver in the basement for practice. They wouldn't cycle an auto.

Not wax, but Speer makes a plastic bullet that you push into one of their plastic cases. It also only uses a primer.
I use them in a revolver in the basement for practice. They wouldn't cycle an auto.

Now that is cool. I might actually have to pick some of those up for some fun indoor plinking. How accurate are they?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back