Washington reciprocity with Kansas

cinsu

Greetings Washingtonians,

I recently sent the following to your Attorney General:

"I currently posses a Kansas concealed carry license. I will be travelling to your state in early August and was reading up on the Washington state laws on concealed carry reciprocity. I reviewed the 3 requirements of the Revised Code of Washington 9.41.073:
RCW 9.41.073 (1) (a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state...
On July 1, 2013 Kansas Senate Bill 21 modified Kansas statute 75-7c03 (c)(1) to read "Subject to the provisions of subsection (c) (2), a valid license or permit to carry concealed weapons, issued by another jurisdiction, shall be recognized by this state, but only while the holder is not a resident of Kansas."
R.C.W. 9.41.073 (1) (a) (i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age
K.S.A. 75-7c04 (a) "The attorney general shall not issue a license pursuant to this act if the applicant: (3) is less than 21 years of age."
R.C.W 9.41.073 (1) (a) (ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
K.S.A. 75-7c05 (d) "Each applicant shall be subject to a state and national criminal history records check which conforms to applicable federal standards, including an inquiry of the national instant criminal background check system for the purpose of verifying the identity of the applicant and whether the applicant has been convicted of any crime or has been the subject of any restraining order or any mental health related finding that would disqualify the applicant from holding a license under this act. The attorney general is authorized to use the information obtained from the state or national criminal history record check to determine the applicant's eligibility for such license."

This leads me to believe that a Kansas concealed carry license should be recognized in Washington however the reciprocity sections of the Washington Attorney General website and the Kansas Attorney General website do not yet reflect this.
R.C.W 9.41.073
RCW 9.41.073: Concealed pistol license ? Reciprocity.
Kansas SB 21
SB 21 | Bills and Resolutions | Kansas State Legislature
K.S.A. 75-7c04
Statute | Kansas State Legislature
K.S.A. 75-7c05
Statute | Kansas State Legislature

I received via email a nice typed letter on agency letterhead from an assistant AG stating "we do not have reciprocity with Kansas because Kansas has a training prerequisite. Because of this requirement, Kansas will not recognize Washington". Clearly she didn't read the part of my message or my references where it says Kansas recognizes ALL states.

I am contacting your forum to see if there are any organizations I can contact that have worked with the Washington AG in the past and can work with somebody that will actually read the entire message. The email I received was an attachment to a blank email from a no-reply address.

Thank you for your time and feel free to come visit Kansas, it isn't that bad!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back