Was I wrong

Mudhumper

I have a NC ccw permit. My best friends brother stole a very expensive ring and sold it to a known druggie. The guy wonted $60 dollars for it and my friend was going to go and ask for it back and pay him the $40 dollars that his brother sold it for. He lived in a bad trailer park so my friend asked me to go. Of course I always carry. My friend went to the door and I stayed on the gravel road in front of the trailer. He asked the guy if he had the ring the guy was drunk and said he had nothing for sale so my friend said he would just call the law because he knew he had it and wonted it back. As my friend was leaving the yard to call the law the guy looked at me and said hey fat boy what the ____ are you looking at I didn't say anything. I turned to walk to the car and the guy came off his porch pulled out a knife said he was going to cut me I still said nothing but pulled my shirt up as he got closer to be ready to pull my weapon. He backed off when he saw my gun, we called the law. The Sherriff would not even listen to us they were very harsh and said we were wrong. They took my weapon. They gave it back before they left with a lot of ragging that we were wrong. They made the druggie give the ring back for $40. They said I could be charged with terrorizing the public. Say if I had no weapon this guy was coming at me with a knife showing my weapon stopped the attack I think it would have been worse if I hadn't. Maybe we should have just called the sheriff to begin with but I still don't think we were wrong.

No disrespect but you put yourself in that position. He wouldn't have come at you if you weren't in front of his house. To the police you were looking for trouble. I know how the friend thing works but you can't put yourself in those positions with a CHL. Besides going to known drug dealers house in a bad trailer park. Might thank The Lord he didn't shoot you. Just my opinion

Wrong for going there, yes. Being ready with your gun was right. I just can't see agreeing to go where something bad is likely to happen when the cops can be called ahead of time.

Keep in mind... bad area. Cops will assume everyone who wants to go there is bad, so they're likely to give anyone there a hard time just to be on the safe side.

no, IMO you did nothing wrong. you were just there minding your business and watching a friend's back. he gave the guy a chance to give the ring back before the law got involved. you had every right to be there, and you did nothing wrong by showing the guy you were armed. i hope you were prepared to use lethal force to protect your self.

the deputies had no business disarming you either since you broke no laws. you can handle their preaching two ways. ignore them and go about your business or tell them to pound sand.

What exactly did I do wrong stand on a public access road which is my right and watch a discussion. There was other people standing around he didn't even know I was with my friend. He came at me for no reason. I walk down my neighborhood every day and if I look at someone standing in their yard and they don't like it, do they have the right to come at me with a knife. Maybe your right about my friend should have called the law but me standing on a public street gives no one the right to pull a weapon because someone looks their way and they don't like it. And to the guy that said (He wouldn't have come at you if you weren't in front of his house) So lets no one walk down the street because we might stop in front of someone's house and they might not like it. Yall have a right to your opinion that's why I posted because I would like to hear it, but instead of just saying you were wrong think about a reason and post that response. Your were wrong is good if you can tell someone why.

That is some real good advise. You must have a real good ed u ma k tion!!!!!!!! You think of that on your own?

What exactly did I do wrong stand on a public access road which is my right and watch a discussion. There was other people standing around he didn't even know I was with my friend. He came at me for no reason. I walk down my neighborhood every day and if I look at someone standing in their yard and they don't like it, do they have the right to come at me with a knife. Maybe your right about my friend should have called the law but me standing on a public street gives no one the right to pull a weapon because someone looks their way and they don't like it. And to the guy that said (He wouldn't have come at you if you weren't in front of his house) So lets no one walk down the street because we might stop in front of someone's house and they might not like it. Yall have a right to your opinion that's why I posted because I would like to hear it, but instead of just saying you were wrong think about a reason and post that response. Your were wrong is good if you can tell someone why.

You were about ready to accomplice buying stolen merchandise while being armed. You can twist it and turn it anyway you want, but your friend AND you went to a known drug dealers house to purchase a known stolen ring. At what point do you get a clue and say to yourself, "You know, this doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do."

You are very fortunate the police didn't arrest you and your friend for trying to buy known stolen merchandise. If you knew this guy had the ring and it was stolen, then why not call the cops and have it retrieved? That's how I would've backed up my friend. I would not have played the muscle side kick with him.

Now you make some lame excuse... "I was just standing on the road watching a discussion" Really? That's your defense for acting stupidly?

The title of your post is "Was I wrong", you've heard our answers, yet won't take ownership for what you did that was wrong. If that's the case, no one will be able to convince you of it.

But you didn't end up there just walking down the street. You went there with the intention of your friend confronting him. I'm not saying he was right in coming towards you but that could not have happened if you had not been there. If your friend had called the cops and they went there and found his property he would have eventually gotten it back. If your friend was going to confront anyone it should have been his own brother.

That is some real good advise. You must have a real good ed u ma k tion!!!!!!!! You think of that on your own?

It doesn't take much "ed u ma k tion" to know to not go knocking on known drug dealers' doors trying to make deals to buy stolen property whether or not you are carrying your gun. Although, that does take common sense, which some people seem to be lacking.

I find it REALLY odd that this guy came at you with a knife for no apparent reason other than you just being there. If he was mad at anybody I would have thought it was your friend who was on his way to call the cops on him. Are you sure you're telling us everything?

(you went to a known drug dealers house to purchase a known stolen ring) Can yall not read I said druggie not drug dealer!!!!! Purchase a stolen ring Yeah it had my friends name on it. How can you get in trouble for buying something that's yours. Here is how it is I went to the local Sherriff dept. and talked to the Sherriff. Because I wonted to know if I was wrong He said that he was the one that informed his deputy to give my gun back because I committed no crime. If someone has something on sale on craiges list you go to there house to purchase it just because they don't like the way you look doesn't give them the right to pull a knife. I guess I should have ask the expert first. Some of you are harsh and you don't even know the law. My friend could have filed a civil suet against his 14 year old brother and got the guy for purchasing stolen goods from a minor. But he didn't wont to get his brother in that kind of trouble. If a deputy makes a decision you feel is wrong ask for a supervisor or the Sherriff himself because they are not always right. They are no better than us!!!!!!!!! They are human Stand your ground fight for what's right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me that's like riding home from the bar with your friend while he drives drunk just in case he gets stopped and arrested, you will be there to take his car to his house for him.

(you went to a known drug dealers house to purchase a known stolen ring) Can yall not read I said druggie not drug dealer!!!!! Purchase a stolen ring Yeah it had my friends name on it. How can you get in trouble for buying something that's yours. Here is how it is I went to the local Sherriff dept. and talked to the Sherriff. Because I wonted to know if I was wrong He said that he was the one that informed his deputy to give my gun back because I committed no crime. If someone has something on sale on craiges list you go to there house to purchase it just because they don't like the way you look doesn't give them the right to pull a knife. I guess I should have ask the expert first. Some of you are harsh and you don't even know the law. My friend could have filed a civil suet against his 14 year old brother and got the guy for purchasing stolen goods from a minor. But he didn't wont to get his brother in that kind of trouble. If a deputy makes a decision you feel is wrong ask for a supervisor or the Sherriff himself because they are not always right. They are no better than us!!!!!!!!! They are human Stand your ground fight for what's right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you didn't want our opinions you shouldn't have asked for them. I'm done.

My error... the only thing I said wrong was drug dealer. Forgive my oversight, now let's pick apart your new defensive strategy. You weren't there to buy back something that was yours. It didn't belong to either of you two. Now if someone did have something on sale on Craig's List and you knew it was stolen, then I most definitely would have gone to LE to have them deal with it. Because now you have this druggie (see got it right this time) with both stolen merchandise and the intent to sell said stolen merchandise. The merchandise would be taken by the locals and your FRIEND, not you, not your friend's brother would have gotten it back. Also, neither of you would have paid out any cash for a stolen piece of property.

Now, I'm with Peggy, you were across the street minding your own business and had absolutely no interaction with this "druggie" at all. All of sudden out of the blue he ends the conversation with your friend and starts something with you, first asking "What are you looking at". This tells me that you really weren't minding your business while standing in the street. People don't out of the blue ask "Hey fat boy, what the ___ are you looking at" unless you were laying the stare down on him and trying to act intimidatingly.

I'm not going to pick apart semantics anymore. You asked if you were wrong, you didn't ask if you broke the law. Two completely different things. You were wrong to a) try to buy known stolen merchandise, b) to act as the muscle to back up your friend to a known drug user's trailer, c) to stare down the druggie while your friend confronted him.
Dude, you put yourself in this situation and it didn't play out well. You got lucky it didn't go worse than it did.

Most people that carry firearms try to fly under the radar and not put themselves in possibly explosive situations, like riding to drug user's trailer parks and buy stolen merchandise. We do this because we understand that we have a great responsibility because we carry firearms.

It didn't belong to either one of us? I said it was my friends. It was my friend that was their to give the money back that his brother had received. Not the brother. So it was one of ours property. We got it back with the $40 that the brother had gave him. Our original plan give him the money get ring back no one gets in trouble, just had to get the law involved. But we didn't have to have the brother in trouble with the law (just with his dad) I believe I can stare at who ever I wont and not fear that someone will kill me. Was the druggie willing to kill someone for staring at him maybe but hopefully he would have stopped his advancement. Was he ready to die for being stared at, no he was not. We made a decision to try to give the guy back his money to not get anyone in trouble. Good idea, Bad idea No law broken. Smart, not Smart no law broken. The suggestion was considered to call the law first. Tried to give everyone a easy way out with out getting into trouble. To my original question was I wrong was answered by the Sherriff with a apology. Maybe should have talked to the Sherriff and went that route first but I like the debate here and truly believe your all good people. Good opinion, Bad opinion, right or wrong, its yours to give keep giving it. Would I do it again. Well I would have maybe kepted my fat butt in the car unseen just in case my buddy needed me. Because for some reason he didn't like Fat Boys LOL Thanks for the debate

Wrong. It was something you did by choice, not because you had to. At the very least, in this state, I believe you could have been charged with brandishing and lost you ccw permit. What would you have done if the guy kept coming? Shot him? You'd like us to think so, apparently. You knew the situation and did not choose to avoid it. You and your buddy went about the whole thing wrong and were very lucky it wasn't worse.
You asked for answers and you got them. Just because you don't like the answers doesn't mean they are wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back