Want to take auto train Va to Fl with my gun

JayTea

I heard about the auto train from Va to Fl. Want to ride fron NY to VA and then get on the auto train with my motorcycle. Can I lock my gun in my saddlebags for the train trip?
I have a resident NY unrestricted and a non resident permit for UT ans FL.
Does anyone have experience doing this?

It looks like if you 'modify the plan' of how you want to do this, it is doable. They allow you to, so long as you follow their policies. Follow them to a T, and don't cut any corners and you will be fine. No different than checking a gun for flying.

There must be baggage handling at both ends of the trip. I would assume that Lorton and Sanford had it, but I would check.

We've actually done that trip on our motorcycles, but did not have FL permit then, so no guns. I'd be interested to see what Amtrack's regs are and how easy and/or hassle free it is.
We've always taken our bags as carry-on and I'm not sure I'd trust leaving the guns, even a small "vault" on the bikes. If you do go, book as early as possible and get a small sleeping car...it's well worth the money. That is, unless you like sleeping in an upright seat. The earlier you book, the cheaper the rate. We also prefer lower level in the sleeping cars, as they rock less, plus the bathrooms and showers are right there.
Have fun and let us know how it goes...we were thinking about a late fall trip.

I have done this twice form Boston to Fla with 4 large cases of all kinds of NFA stuff in addition to regular guns. Never had a problem.

I have done this twice form Boston to Fla with 4 large cases of all kinds of NFA stuff in addition to regular guns. Never had a problem.

you may have gotten away with transporting those items in violation of Amtrak regs without issues but telling people to violate laws or regs is not something I would do

We've taken the AutoTrain many times with both car and motorcycles, however I can't remember if they even do "checked baggage" since you typically leave all your belongings other than a carry-on bag in your vehicle. If traveling by car, I'm not sure this would be a problem declaring and leaving your firearms in locked cases in a locked trunk. The 'drivers' loading cars onto the train are in such a hurry and under time pressure to get loaded, there'd be little time to search for and find your weapons. In the case of motorcycles, especially like ours with 'soft' saddlebags, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaving my weapons in the saddlebags.

My suggestion would be to contact Amtrack and get answers IN WRITING, then figure out whether you want to take and secure your weapons, then have copies of that correspondence with you when you travel to show you've complied with what you have been told by Amtrack. Remember... the typical LEO will not know the intricacies of their own State firearms laws, and will have even less knowledge of Amtrack's regulations or policies. They will likely... arrest first, read the law later!

We've taken the AutoTrain many times with both car and motorcycles, however I can't remember if they even do "checked baggage" since you typically leave all your belongings other than a carry-on bag in your vehicle. If traveling by car, I'm not sure this would be a problem declaring and leaving your firearms in locked cases in a locked trunk.
while this is against Amtrak policies and regs, a don't ask don't tell policy would work, however I would never advocate breaking any laws or regs, YMMV

while this is against Amtrak policies and regs, a don't ask don't tell policy would work, however I would never advocate breaking any laws or regs, YMMV

I think the whole point of the original post was that they want take their trip...and their guns...legally. So, while a "don't ask, don't tell" policy might work, it also might not!
If not, where are you? In jail? In court in Virginia, Florida or somewhere in between? In the state that confiscated your weapons, trying to get them back? Back in NY trying to tell the judge why you should be able to keep your "unrestricted" pistol permit after arrest on weapons violations in another state? By the way, in some NY counties, it is harder to get an unrestricted (CCW) permit than a winning powerball ticket.

I think the whole point of the original post was that they want take their trip...and their guns...legally. So, while a "don't ask, don't tell" policy might work, it also might not!
If not, where are you? In jail? In court in Virginia, Florida or somewhere in between? In the state that confiscated your weapons, trying to get them back? Back in NY trying to tell the judge why you should be able to keep your "unrestricted" pistol permit after arrest on weapons violations in another state? By the way, in some NY counties, it is harder to get an unrestricted (CCW) permit than a winning powerball ticket.
thanks for your input, for your information, YMMV means YOUR MILEAGE MIGHT VARY, does that need additional explanation?

We have taken firearms on Amtrak in checked luggage a few times. All you have to do is to notify the attendants at the station that you wish to place a weapon in your luggage. They have "requirements" for you to do that, though and a form to fill out. Your weapon must be in a LOCKED hard-sided case INSIDE your luggage and separate from your ammo. So...seeing that they allow checked firearms, why would they care if your LOCKED weapon is in your car on the auto train? I would definitely LOCK it in a lockbox inside the car or even in that box inside your luggage--even in the car. I believe their main concern is NO weapons in your possession on board the passenger train. No idea about motorcycles! I think I'd be concerned about theft of my weapon in that case, though!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back