Wanna come for Easter dinner? Bring a bottle of wine? Please leave your gun at home!

Zimmo

That's the phone call from my sister, in a nutshell.
She also informed me I really pissed off my sister in law, because I stopped by to show my brother
the new Ruger SR 1911cmd I bought a couple of months ago. Yes it was concealed, holstered, loaded, and I safely removed the mag and unloaded the round from the chamber, before allowing my brother to look it over.
Lisa, Marks wife just kindof cringed and walked by us (outdoors) and into the house without saying a word. She had been photographing my dog as she sat in the front of my car.
My sister also informed me, that my other sister is adamantly against my coming on their property while carrying a gun...

Both of my sisters and their husbands, are deer hunters, and own many more guns than I do)) Also the husbands have a few pistols, but surely the ladies rule the roosts and are fearful I suppose because of children and grandchildren being at family gatherings.

Still it feels like a bit of undue mistrust and ignorance. So I think I will someday casually show some videos(online) to support
my conviction of being a proactive concealed carrier, and try reasonably to educate my family. Though I don't expect to convince them, that "everywhere"is the right place to be prepared for "anything" that might occur.

Anyone here experienced the family "gun-shunning"?

My family has always been around guns. My wife was not to keen on guns at first but she has came around. I finally got her to go to the range and she enjoyed it. But I do have friends who are not into guns. When I go to their homes I do not carry into their homes. As GB-boater said, "Their homes, their rules!"

Why don`t you just stay home on Easter, and tell your wife to go and have a good time with the rest of the sheeple. You just can`t fix stupid, so don`t lower your self to there level to make them feel better.

I have sister inlaw that is nuts, one of the most backward thinking people I'v ever known, however keeping to ourselves is not a problem, we live 800 miles from each other, also they live in NY, so any sort of casual visit would never happen, last time they were visiting us, we all went out, I was concealing then, and she did not know, anyways we are all eating talking and all of a sudden she freaks out, we did not know what happened, she spied a dude coming in with a Glock on his belt, and it was pretty clear he was no cop, and she starts in that guy has a gun, I hardly skipped a beat I barley looked up, she says maybe we better get out of here, and my wife starts telling me don't you dare, she knew what I was going to do, I couldn't help it, I said to my sis, if he starts anything I'l shoot him first, and I pull up my shirt and she sees my compact Kimber 1911 on my belt, she was so pissed, stomps out to the car, we sat there and finished our meal, 15-20 mins, we go out and shes standing by the car, I had the keys and it was hotter than dammit outside, we went home they got there stuff got in there car and left for home, this was in 06 or 07 and have not seen them since, and the way home from the restaurant, I just asked her one thing, now keep in mind if she had another way home thy would have taken it, anyways I asked her, just suppose some SOB, came in that restaurant and started takeing peoples money and jewelry and stuff, what exactly would you rather have in your hand, your cellphone or a gun....she never did answer me

Based on her mindset from your story, she would have felt safer having the bad guy stick his gun in her face and giving him the cell phone etc hoping he would then leave. Some people just feel safer as victims than they would trying to defend themselves.

I would probably tell her that I wouldn't be there, because I don't go into places where I will be unable to protect myself and my family.
My situation is completely different. We're invited to spend Easter with one of my Sons. Everyone carries openly if they so desire at his place in the country. Nearly everyone in the family has carry license. We always go out back and set up some targets and fire off some rounds. Everything we have gets its turn on the firing line. Safety is paramount, and everyone that wants to gets to shoot. My 14 year old great granddaughter is the best shot in the family with their .22 rifle.

Stay home for Easter. Even if you don't carry to the bash, guns will likely be brought-up the instant you walk in the door. Boom. Big argument ensues. Easter ruined.

I stay away from non-enlightened people. I had to deal with many idiots (two threatened to kill me) over 18 years working for a retailer. The retailer eliminated my position with a pitiful severance, as part of downsizing.

Frankly, I don't want uneducated idiots around me. The proliferation of stupid rising in our society, politician and citizen alike, makes me shake my head in disgust.

I just want idiots to leave me alone. This may sound elitist or narcissistic, but walk the last 18 years in my shoes, and everyone will understand.

Yeah, I wouldn't go. Don't want to make anyone angry, especially me!

I haven't had that problem, though, as my anti-gun relatives live in California, where I can't bring guns anyway.

When I go to family's homes that I know do not like my firearms, I make sure I am concealed. I don't bring them up; they don't ask.

As long as it is out of sight, it is out of their mind... you know, kind of like a small child. Therefore, why would I ever talk to them about it?

Their house their rules and rights. Your choice but I would decline same as I do for businesses that are anti gun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That's the phone call from my sister, in a nutshell.
She also informed me I really pissed off my sister in law, because I stopped by to show my brother
the new Ruger SR 1911cmd I bought a couple of months ago. Yes it was concealed, holstered, loaded, and I safely removed the mag and unloaded the round from the chamber, before allowing my brother to look it over.
Lisa, Marks wife just kindof cringed and walked by us (outdoors) and into the house without saying a word. She had been photographing my dog as she sat in the front of my car.
My sister also informed me, that my other sister is adamantly against my coming on their property while carrying a gun...

Both of my sisters and their husbands, are deer hunters, and own many more guns than I do)) Also the husbands have a few pistols, but surely the ladies rule the roosts and are fearful I suppose because of children and grandchildren being at family gatherings.

Still it feels like a bit of undue mistrust and ignorance. So I think I will someday casually show some videos(online) to support
my conviction of being a proactive concealed carrier, and try reasonably to educate my family. Though I don't expect to convince them, that "everywhere"is the right place to be prepared for "anything" that might occur.

Anyone here experienced the family "gun-shunning"?

That's why Thanksgiving is always at my home. My uber liberal sister has to keep her mouth shut and I make a point of showing my sons-in-law a new toy or two.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back