Walther PPS or Glock for CC

Hi all, I currently carry a Ruger SP101 .357 as my CC firearm. I like it because it is stainless and pretty durable, as someone put it "build like a Sherman tank". The .357 Mag has good stopping power too. The down side: The weight is a bit much.. 26 oz not loaded and also it is only a 5 shot and with the Hogue grips, it sticks out a bit..

I have been looking at several options to replace as my normal CC. The Walther PPS .40 cal and the Glock 27 .40 cal are the two that I have my eye on. I would prefer something around a .357 or 40 cal but size is a big issue. I would like to keep it sub compact. What are your thoughts & suggestions/recommendations???
Thanks!

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
When your choosing a pistol to carry concealed, there are a few things to consider.
You need to decide how you are going to conceal it, what caliber you prefer, and weather you are going to carry it loaded or just with a full magazine.
- First. Size will be an issue when it comes to figuring out where to carry it. If your going to carry it IWB, a large gun can be cumbersome and more than likely, you will end up not carrying it with you. Another option is to carry in an ankle holster, and again size will be an issue. A gun too large will just look strange on your ankle.
-Second is choosing a caliber. Don't get a .40 or .45 just so you can feel good about carrying around a hand cannon all day. If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it, but chances are, it will be too bulky and too heavy and you will leave it home most of the time. I carry a glock 19 9mm, and sometimes it gets a little on the heavy side. And anyone who tells you that a 9mm is underpowered does not know what they are talking about. Besides, most .40's will hold around 9 rounds where as I can hold 15 in one mag.
-Third, and very important. If you plan on carrying your pistol loaded (with a round in the chamber) then you may want to re-think you thoughts on a glock. I have been carrying my Glock 19 for around 8 years, and still refuse to carry it loaded unless it is in a very safe holster wich for me is a hard shell blackhawk OWB holster. Without an "active" external safety, it is extremely dangerous to carry it loaded because it only takes one little thing hooking the trigger, and you end up with a bullet in your leg, back or foot. NOT WORTH IT!!!
Just some things to think about. Hope this helped.

Thank you everyone for the information you gave. After looking carefully at the Glock, Kahr and the Walther I finally decided on the Walther PPS. Here in MA you can't get the new gen Glocks which is a bummer. All you can get is the older tech, while still very good, it is older tech. The Walther is about 1" thich in either the 9 or .40 and having fired both, I opted for the .40. The Glock is somewhat wider and since I wear it IWB most of the time, thinness is important. I like the craftsmanship of the Walther, it seems to be made very well. The mag release is a bit different and I am still getting used to it but I know I will at some point. Mostly I carry it with a High Noon IWB holster which I like very well and when I have cargo ppocket shorts on I use a Nemesis cargo pocket holster which also works very well for me. So thank you all again for the good words of wisdom! Be safe!

Go to a good gun store where they have a wide selection of guns and holsters. Let the pros help guide you as to fit and function. Our local gun shop will let you test fire any number of guns and even supply the ammo. After the selection try on an assortment of holsters for the type of carry you perfer.

Go to a good gun store where they have a wide selection of guns and holsters. Let the pros help guide you as to fit and function. Our local gun shop will let you test fire any number of guns and even supply the ammo. After the selection try on an assortment of holsters for the type of carry you perfer.

This is the best suggestion yet, however in responce to your question, the diff between the G27 and G36, with out the little mag extention the 27 is a bit more compact and has ten shots, the 36 has 7, I have both and switch them out as main carry, but do lean toward the 27, my wife carrys a 26, and I have a 21 for a car gun, all are loaded with a good brand hollow point

I had a Glock 26 that I loved for my CC but I recently bought a Smith and Wesson M&P .40c. It is WONDERFUL. It feels 10x better than the Glock in my hands. I shoot it much better, and it is the same size as the Glock. It also has a 10 round mag. I was considering the 27 but shot this one and it was no contest. Just a though, I dunno if you already ruled that gun out.

Glock pistols

I used to carry a Taurus PT-101 .40 caliber. I am a big man and wanted a pistol to fit my hand and large girth without feeling like I was carrying a howitzer. It has worked quite well for me but I just acquired a Glock 23 in 40 caliber and immediately fell in love with it. I still need a magazine with an extension to fit my hand but this gun is great. I carry it in my waistband holster and hardly know it is there. I have a difficult time with smaller pistols due to my hand size but this one is something I will not tire of carrying. The .40 caliber is more than adequate for any need I may have. Wish I had bought one sooner!

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
When your choosing a pistol to carry concealed, there are a few things to consider.
You need to decide how you are going to conceal it, what caliber you prefer, and weather you are going to carry it loaded or just with a full magazine.
- First. Size will be an issue when it comes to figuring out where to carry it. If your going to carry it IWB, a large gun can be cumbersome and more than likely, you will end up not carrying it with you. Another option is to carry in an ankle holster, and again size will be an issue. A gun too large will just look strange on your ankle.
-Second is choosing a caliber. Don't get a .40 or .45 just so you can feel good about carrying around a hand cannon all day. If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it, but chances are, it will be too bulky and too heavy and you will leave it home most of the time. I carry a glock 19 9mm, and sometimes it gets a little on the heavy side. And anyone who tells you that a 9mm is underpowered does not know what they are talking about. Besides, most .40's will hold around 9 rounds where as I can hold 15 in one mag.
-Third, and very important. If you plan on carrying your pistol loaded (with a round in the chamber) then you may want to re-think you thoughts on a glock. I have been carrying my Glock 19 for around 8 years, and still refuse to carry it loaded unless it is in a very safe holster wich for me is a hard shell blackhawk OWB holster. Without an "active" external safety, it is extremely dangerous to carry it loaded because it only takes one little thing hooking the trigger, and you end up with a bullet in your leg, back or foot. NOT WORTH IT!!!
Just some things to think about. Hope this helped.

All good stuff except the part about NOT carrying one in the chamber. Holy smokes, Slinger, that's just crazy talk. You absolutely will not have time to rack the slide in an emergency. Might as well carry a large stapler.

Just my opinion. :biggrin:

Glock: Loaded or Unloaded Carry

Since I have just bought my first Glock, I was interested in Glockslinger 19's comments. The reason I waited so long to buy a Glock is that I was afraid of the trigger safety. I was afraid that by carrying loaded, it might accidently be fired. I didn't want to lose a leg, cheek or any other little extremity. Checking the trigger pull before buying the gun, I discovered that the trigger needs a good pull to fire. My trigger is rather stiff right now but may loosen up with more use. I think to begin with I will carry with the chamber loaded because when I feel the need to pull my gun, I want it to fire right away. Hopefully everything will work out. I am looking into a good holster in which to carry the gun on my hip as well as inside the waist band. One that will protect the trigger in everyday situations.:biggrin:

My trigger is rather stiff right now but may loosen up with more use.

Glock triggers are really consistent, so what you have is probably what you will have a year from now. There are aftermarket trigger items to make them stiffer. I installed a lighter trigger and love it.

Glock 19's run perfectly fine stock, but being a tiinkerer, I did the following to mine:

- Glock factory 3.5 lb trigger connector
- Glock factory extended Magazine Release, (Glock Part #1981)
- Glock factory Extended slide release (Glock Part #7496)
- Glock factory underwater spring cups, for gator fights here in the Deep South :biggrin:

Since I have just bought my first Glock, I was interested in Glockslinger 19's comments. The reason I waited so long to buy a Glock is that I was afraid of the trigger safety. I was afraid that by carrying loaded, it might accidently be fired. I didn't want to lose a leg, cheek or any other little extremity. Checking the trigger pull before buying the gun, I discovered that the trigger needs a good pull to fire. My trigger is rather stiff right now but may loosen up with more use. I think to begin with I will carry with the chamber loaded because when I feel the need to pull my gun, I want it to fire right away. Hopefully everything will work out. I am looking into a good holster in which to carry the gun on my hip as well as inside the waist band. One that will protect the trigger in everyday situations.:biggrin:

In my opinion as a carry gun a "stiff" trigger is a good thing for obvious reasons. BEFORE you carry with one in the chamber I would recommend just cocking it with out one in the chamber and carry it like that for awhile that way you will gain confidence in carrying with one in the chamber and know what will and won't set it off. Also, once you find the holster you will use practice drawing the gun with it cocked and one NOT in the chamber so you know that when you draw you won't set it off unintentionally. Be safe!

I have both a S&W M&P 9 full size and a HK USP9 Compact that I rotate for my carry weapon. Since I got them they both have been carried with a round in the chamber and in the case of the HK safety off. I carry both IWB and never gave the guns a second thought. The "Israeli draw" (Drawing the gun, pulling the slide, and firing for those who don't know) is too complex for me. The only thing I look for in a Holster is one that covers the trigger guard. If this is there, I don't worry about the gun firing. So much so that every now and then my HK sits in its holster in Single Action Mode with the hammer pulled back (I use snap caps to "PLAY" with my gun at home to work on drawing and trigger control etc etc) because when I load it I don't use the decocker.

Those should only be installed in the G17.

I appreciate the heads up, but Glock themselves put out a notice that these can be run on the G19 (any 9mm Glock). I think it's on their website now, but since I already read it, too lazy to reference it before the first cup of coffee. I'll update later.

EDIT: Found it on Glock.com (LINK HERE Link Removed

"GLOCK SPRING CUPS
The GLOCK spring cups position the firing pin spring and are easily and quickly replaced because of its two-part half shell shape. Two different versions are available:

STANDARD
Standard equipment,
sturdy design

MARITIME
Optimum water permeability for secure firing even under water!
Only approved for GLOCK pistols in caliber 9x19."

I'd personally elect to continue carrying the SP-101 over the Glock or PPS.

If you're dead set on those two options, I would choose the Glock. The PPS is too pricey for what you get, the magazines are expensive to the point of stupidity, and I dislike the magazine release.

If you're open to other calibers, maybe consider the Kel-Tec PF9. I'm not a 9mm guy, but if I were going to be shopping for a subcompact semi, that's one that would be in my top 3. You can't argue with the price either ;)

I'd personally elect to continue carrying the SP-101 over the Glock or PPS.

If you're dead set on those two options, I would choose the Glock. The PPS is too pricey for what you get, the magazines are expensive to the point of stupidity, and I dislike the magazine release.

If you're open to other calibers, maybe consider the Kel-Tec PF9. I'm not a 9mm guy, but if I were going to be shopping for a subcompact semi, that's one that would be in my top 3. You can't argue with the price either ;)

+1 on PF-9. Very light and very inexpensive. Thinnest and lightest 9mm I know of. Rohrbaugh is very slightly smaller (but not thinner), and you could buy three PF9s and a bunch of extra mags for the price of a Rohrbaugh.

My info may be out of date. I was under the impresion that the G34 and G17L should not be fired underwater like the G17 can be, due to the longer colum of water that the bullet must push against before leaving the barrel. Also note do not use hollowpoint ammo for underwater firing as the bullet will expand in the barrell and get stuck.

You can shoot most handguns AND rifles underwater, but not all safely.

The spring cups were developed by Glock to allow air out quickly underwater and water out quickly after being underwater. Approved by Glock for all 9 mm.

You can shoot most handguns AND rifles underwater, but not all safely.

The spring cups were developed by Glock to allow air out quickly underwater and water out quickly after being underwater. Approved by Glock for all 9 mm.

Here is a nice writeup that includes Glock's early waiver letter to the special forces groups using these cups. If you read the letter carefully, you can see where the confusion came from regarding use "only in the Glock 17". Glock specified that only Glock 17s with specific serial numbers could be used. The way this is worded gives the impression that ONLY Glock 17s can be used with the spring cups. But as you can see in the first paragraph, the spring cups are approved for use in both the 17 and the 19. When this was written the 26 did not exist. :)

page2.jpg

Ahhh, but at the time that was writen, the G17L did exist. And since the bullet would have to push against a longer, thus larger collum of water before exitting the barrel, that's where an over-presure situation might occurr.

Anything is possible. But as you saw from what I cut and pasted, Glock says "all 9mm models" on their website. Probably been updated since 1992. :biggrin:

I was looking at the Walther the other day in the store and its a very nice weapon but the grip will take some getting use to. I guess you have to remind yourself its not for comfort but for PP. Im gonna get one this month. Im not a big fan of Glock.

+1 Glock 36

ALWAYS carry your CCW with a round in the chamber. Israelis carry w/o one in the tube due to Israeli legal requirements, which we need not concern ourselves here. If you carry a 1911 carry in condition 1 (cocked and locked).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back