Walking with your family on your "weak side"

k9ontheway

Improvise-Adapt-Overcome
Do you tend to keep your family members (wife, children, etc) on your "weak side" when you're out together?

Just curious to see if I'm the only one that does this.

I'm right handed so I try to keep my wife on my left side... which works because she's left handed and she likes me on her "weak side" as well... so we're almost always in this position.

Does anyone else tend to do this? Why or why not?

Off course, it's the only way to keep my right hand free. Same reason I carry bags or groceries, car keys, etc in my left hand.

Being armed wont do you any good if you can't draw your Gun in an emergency

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Yes and no. I tend to keep infront and in a sense watching all around knowing my wife won't. Everything I need is accessible to my weak side but all ways have my strong side open for the reach. But I can also draw with the weak side if I must or something is wrong. I try to keep my weak side strong so weakness does not prevail.

I try to do this when out and about. Its hard with my dogs though as they are high speed and pretty much go where they want. On a side note: walking two dobermans and packing pretty much makes me as safe as the next guy.

I'm right handed so I try to keep my wife on my left side... which works because she's left handed and she likes me on her "weak side" as well... so we're almost always in this position.

Um, the position that my wife and I are in is not a firearm-related topic :)

(but I do agree, I'm a lefty, and she's on my right almost always. when we're vertical.)

UD

For the most part yes. Like Austin, hard to do when walking the dogs, but with a Dobie and a Large Husky, not that much of a problem.

Why would it matter what side your family walks on? Strong or weak side, unless your family member is hanging on your arm what's the difference? I always walk to the "outside".

If we are on the street, I walk closest to the curb. Not because it is strong or weak side, it's just what I was taught by my father that it is what a gentleman does to protect the lady from car splashes and such.

If we're in a mall she is closest to the store front. If I have to explain that one, you're not married! Many of the natural actions a gentleman is taught come into play naturally as protection of the female companion. Sitting outboard at the theater helps put you in front of her so you can "make a hole" in the crowd. Her walking on your left or inboard side leaves your hand clear to open the doors for her. and so on. Strong side / weak side doesn't matter as long as you are between her and the things you deem she needs to be protected from.

So, if you're walking WITH the traffic, this means your wife is next to the curb if you're right-handed? 'Course maybe this doesn't mean anything nowadays.

Hmm, my family is usually in front of me. Something I picked up while living in Honduras because you can't always see them coming up from behind, by putting myself in the back I can watch everything that is going on and intervene if necessary. Then again it helps to be 6'4 and having a wife that is 4'9.

I was also taught to walk between the lady and the curb. Just a habit now. Don't see that it matters whether that happens to be my strong side or my weak side....
If it was in a bad part of town with alleys on her side...can see there'd be a decision to be made. Don't think there are any firm rules - just common sense for the presenting situation.

I fully understand the comments on between your family and the traffic and such. Good ideas except I cannot tell you the last time I was in a mall or setting like it, so that wouldn't matter to me. We very rarely walk in a city setting, living out in the 'burbs, I have 40 acres of woods with trails and stuff 200 yds from my house, much nicer walking there.

Do like to see that it wasn't just my Dad who taught manners towards ladies. Seems to be a dying breed

Always the right thing to do.

Why would it matter what side your family walks on? Strong or weak side, unless your family member is hanging on your arm what's the difference? I always walk to the "outside".

If we are on the street, I walk closest to the curb. Not because it is strong or weak side, it's just what I was taught by my father that it is what a gentleman does to protect the lady from car splashes and such.

If we're in a mall she is closest to the store front. If I have to explain that one, you're not married! Many of the natural actions a gentleman is taught come into play naturally as protection of the female companion. Sitting outboard at the theater helps put you in front of her so you can "make a hole" in the crowd. Her walking on your left or inboard side leaves your hand clear to open the doors for her. and so on. Strong side / weak side doesn't matter as long as you are between her and the things you deem she needs to be protected from.

Spoken like a true gentleman Walt629, I too was taught the same and still make a practice of the same today. We spend less time in public places as we age but must be even more aware as our society changes daily. Strong/weak doesn't matter, it is your awareness that matters, it is your awareness that will keep you from needing to protect your lady anymore than you are doing so politely.

The main thing I concern myself with is keeping everyone where I can see them. The bigger the crowd, the closer I keep them.

Wife is always on my weak side but that's her fault... she likes to hold hands all the time and I need the other one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Some of us olde geezers are the last of the olde generation - NOT the first of the new generation...relax youngsters, we'll be gone soon and you can forget about the silly things we were taught....

Reminded me of the story of the old rural couple headed for town in their pickup. She's going down the list of his faults and shortcomings....on and on....finally she says, "And we never sit together in the truck anymore." He looks over and says, "Honey, I haven't moved an inch."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back