Virginia non-resident permit for lawful permanent resident - any experiences?

ArmedMouse

Folks:

I'm a lawful permanent resident (aka green card holder) and I've been so for a couple years now. I live in North Carolina, which, even as it is a "shall issue" state for concealed carry permits, it only issues permits for citizens.

While looking at alternatives, I ran into the Virginia non-resident permit - also, indeed, read about Florida and a couple other states. So my questions are:

a) is it legal to apply for a VA non-resident permit even if you don't own any property on VA/work on VA/have nothing at all to do w/ VA?

b) has anyone done anything similar? ie: apply (either on VA or FL or any other state) for a non-resident permit as a LPR ?

c) while I understand North Carolina honors VA CC permits - does that extend to non-resident permits?

Any suggestions or feedback are of course welcome.

Thanks in advance !

While it appears that NC will recognize a non-resident permit, it may be questionable about a NC resident carrying on an out of state permit. The wording in the Link Removed seems to only address out of state residents.
North Carolina allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed handguns pursuant to such permits in North Carolina.

Some states, such as mine, clearly state that residents must have the local permit to carry in state.

While it appears that NC will recognize a non-resident permit, it may be questionable about a NC resident carrying on an out of state permit. The wording in the Link Removed seems to only address out of state residents.

Some states, such as mine, clearly state that residents must have the local permit to carry in state.

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed you seem to be right. I'll try to call & get feedback from the local PD - however, we all know how that goes. They may tell me "sure, it's OK" - only for me to go ahead, get the VA permit - and then end in jail for a loooooooong time . . .

Thanks for your feedback. As I said to sdprof, I'll try & get someone @ local PD to answer that question for me - if it's ok to have a non-resident permit from another state, and use that in lieu of a local CCW permit . . .

I'm a NC resident who carries with a VA non-resident permit. The issue was discussed briefly among some legislators last year or maybe the year before, but they decided that since NC recognizes any permit from any state that making an exception for situations like this would just complicate a nice, simple system: You have a permit from anywhere, you can carry in NC.

Direct quote from the NC Department of Justice website: "Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state." If you want the actual document, here's the link.

Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back