Virginia: Lost my CCP after a DUI - can i get it back?

matthewnyc

I have a question about my concealed carry.

I had my Virginia concealed carry in 2008 and lost it after being convicted of a DUI. Will I ever be eligible to get it back in the State of Virginia? I have no felonies.

Thanks to anyone that can give me good advice.

The more serious question is why you would want to compound your issues with the additional responsibility of carrying a weapon...

You will have to wait either 3 years or 5 years from the date of the conviction, depending on your criminal record:

Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

7. An individual who has been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application, if one of the misdemeanors was a Class 1 misdemeanor, but the judge shall have the discretion to deny a permit for two or more misdemeanors that are not Class 1. Traffic infractions or reckless driving shall not be considered for purposes of this disqualification.

9. An individual who has been convicted of a violation of § 18.2-266 or a substantially similar local ordinance, or of public drunkenness, or of a substantially similar offense under the laws of any other state, the District of Columbia, the United States, or its territories within the three-year period immediately preceding the application, or who is a habitual drunkard as determined pursuant to § 4.1-33.

The more serious question is why you would want to compound your issues with the additional responsibility of carrying a weapon...

For the protection of self and family against those that would choose to commit a violent crime against him/them? Just my guess.

Ol Guy, I assumed that question would come up - though the point of writing the it was a serious question was in the hopes of getting serious answers . . . I knew someone wouldn't be able to refuse asking.

I never carried even when I had my CCP, and don't really plan to now, but enjoy going to the range with my dad. I would prefer to have my CCP and not risk accidentally concealing it illegally, than not have it and get in trouble. I am just asking what the law says. If it says I can't get it back then I won't. If it says that I can . . . and you have an issue with that . . . then talk to your local politician. Why a person who has issue with people getting a legal CCP is on a thread like this I have no idea, but hopefully this satisfies your curiousity as to the reason for my question.

I have no complaint about anything you might legally accomplish with respect to reinstating your CCP. My question was more to challenge you on whether you really think you should--given your history. My next question is, after reading the wide variation in responses on this forum, what makes you think you will find anything reliable here? You need to consult a lawyer or, if that isn't feasible, then just go through the CCP application process and see where you get stopped.

I've got to be honest here. I don't think you should get your CCP. Mental issues and a DUI? Get your head screwed on straight before even thinking about a CCP.

Boy all these questions lately about how do i get my permit or get my permit back seem to conveinent! Anyone else think the timing is off and that we might be getting trolled?

That makes sense. I have never posted on a site like this, so I guess it would have just been best to apply and see what happens.

Maybe I'll check back and let you know what they say if I decide to re-apply.

Boy all these questions lately about how do i get my permit or get my permit back seem to conveinent! Anyone else think the timing is off and that we might be getting trolled?

It's possible. More likely though that it's due to the big surge in gun interest after the recent psycho killings. Newbies and people like Mr. DUI trying to get up to speed. But i don't know why they can't just go down to the local sheriff's office and get all the info. Or just go on the Web site for their state or county and read all the applicable laws and restrictions.

I have two serious questions about my concealed carry.

The first is, in 2010 I admitted myself to a psych hospital in New York. Will I be denied my concealed carry for this, particularly in light of recent events.

The second question is . . . I had my Virginia concealed carry in 2008 and lost it after being convicted of a DUI. Will I ever be eligible to get it back in the State of Virginia? I have no felonies.

Thanks to anyone that can give me good advice.

I have questions & responses to your post....I'm 100% serious.

1) Why did you admit yourself into a psych hospital in 2010?

2) Are you anti-social and/or psychotic?

3) Are you suicidal?

4) If you are irresponsible enough to risk your own life & other peoples lives by drinking and driving (driving while under the influence), then you are not responsible enough to be carrying a firearm imvho.

5) Did you vote for Obama?

6) Do you currently work for the ObamaLamaDingDong Administration?

7) If you answered yes to question # 2, 5 or 6, then you are a part of the problem, not the solution imvho.

Everyone has a dark hole in their spirit where one shouldn't go. Recognize that no one, especially self, is pure and that everyone is capable of evil actions and evil thoughts. If you understand that simple axiom then you are probably safe. I wish I were pure because then I would never make a mistake. I know lots of people that never were caught and were never hospitalized. Is it true that no one on this forum has ever drank a beer and driven. Can you be just a little bit pregnant? Give the guy a break lest your past be thrown around like a rag doll.

That is a weird post. Kind of Biblical, like, "who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone." However, there is a big difference between saying we want to punish someone who has acted irresponsibly and saying that we might not trust that same person to act responsibly in the future. That is why they take your motor vehicle operator's license away when you get caught for DUI. This is not about sin and it is not about punishment. It is about demonstrating responsibility. If your post is auto-biographical and you got away with drinking and driving, then I hope you sobered up and decided never to do it again--or if not, then let us all know when you plan to repeat and where, so we can stay out of your way.

from a mental health worker

I perform emergency psychiatric hospitalizations. You may have a bigger problem than you realize. Under current ; and I stress current, law if you were committed to an institution you have lost your right to purchase and/or own firearms in va. This could be either agreeing to a voluntary or being involuntarily committed by a special justice. Those rights can be restored but will take petitioning the court. I can't speak to the dui part. I believe the change in statute occurred after va tech. Get an attorney and good luck.

Everyone has a dark hole in their spirit where one shouldn't go. Recognize that no one, especially self, is pure and that everyone is capable of evil actions and evil thoughts. If you understand that simple axiom then you are probably safe. I wish I were pure because then I would never make a mistake. I know lots of people that never were caught and were never hospitalized. Is it true that no one on this forum has ever drank a beer and driven. Can you be just a little bit pregnant? Give the guy a break lest your past be thrown around like a rag doll.

Whether anyone else has any kind of "darkness" in their background is not the point. Questions were asked, details disclosed and concern registered. A person wanting accurate information on their legal status is best served by consulting an expert where they live on the issues. If a person just wants to chat about stuff then a forum is the place for that.

Being responsible is an attitude as well as a behavior and if the people here choose to engage someone asking questions who has disclosed being irresponsible it is irresponsible to not tell them so.

Sometimes forgiveness becomes enabling and that is not responsible or ethical.

Whether anyone else has any kind of "darkness" in their background is not the point. Questions were asked, details disclosed and concern registered. A person wanting accurate information on their legal status is best served by consulting an expert where they live on the issues. If a person just wants to chat about stuff then a forum is the place for that.

Being responsible is an attitude as well as a behavior and if the people here choose to engage someone asking questions who has disclosed being irresponsible it is irresponsible to not tell them so.

Sometimes forgiveness becomes enabling and that is not responsible or ethical.

My point is that if you think you have that cosmic ability to sort out the crazies from the sane you will be fighting a loosing battle...kind of like trying to find a corner in a round room. How does one determine whether or not they are responsible enough to carry a firearm. I know a old man buried in Arlington National, lifer in the army, distinguished service cross, etc. that should have never been allowed a sling shot much less a handgun. What does one base their opinion on. Clearly we have ways to prohibit crazies from getting firearms...but just who are the crazies. Is it you the reader...or me the writer. Is it the guy that is hospitalized or the guy we haven't caught yet. Introspection can go a long way in solving societal ills. We all have capacity for great good and great harm. It is what we know about ourselves that will dictate our actions.

My point is that if you think you have that cosmic ability to sort out the crazies from the sane you will be fighting a loosing battle...kind of like trying to find a corner in a round room. How does one determine whether or not they are responsible enough to carry a firearm. I know a old man buried in Arlington National, lifer in the army, distinguished service cross, etc. that should have never been allowed a sling shot much less a handgun. What does one base their opinion on. Clearly we have ways to prohibit crazies from getting firearms...but just who are the crazies. Is it you the reader...or me the writer. Is it the guy that is hospitalized or the guy we haven't caught yet. Introspection can go a long way in solving societal ills. We all have capacity for great good and great harm. It is what we know about ourselves that will dictate our actions.

Benefit of the doubt before one's behavior betrays they can't be trusted. The OP betrayed that by his behavior. Nothing esoteric about it.

There is an appeal process in place. The process will determine whether a person should be trusted after the fact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back