Virginia Carry Laws?

Does anyone know where I would get info on VA's concealed carry laws or just VA carry laws in general? A gun would really make me feel safer when I'm alone.

Hi Danielle, VA has some of the best CC/OC laws in the country (did you know CHP holders can carry into the General Assembly building in Richmond?). Virginia is fairly painless when it comes to getting a CHP if you wish. I just got my CHP from Henrico about a month ago. Let me know if you have any issues or questions.

Check out the Virginia Gun Owners Forum and VCDL.org. Open carry is OK in VA and CC is alright, but where it gets fuzzy is carrying concealed in your car traveling around the state, all I was able to read was carrying in a vahicle without a CCW permit. The webb info is hard to obtain, but I wouldn't go out of my house without my 1911. Remember when seconds count the police will be there in a a while after everything has happened. Good Luck.

Check out the Virginia Gun Owners Forum and VCDL.org. Open carry is OK in VA and CC is alright, but where it gets fuzzy is carrying concealed in your car traveling around the state, all I was able to read was carrying in a vahicle without a CCW permit. The webb info is hard to obtain, but I wouldn't go out of my house without my 1911. Remember when seconds count the police will be there in a a while after everything has happened. Good Luck.

No permit needed to carry in a vehicle.

From the State Police: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.

No permit needed for lawful gun-owners 18yo and older to OC. CC allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you don't drink. OC is allowed in restaurants that serve, and you ARE allowed to drink (though I do think that's a bad idea when carrying in general).

No permit needed to carry in a vehicle.

From the State Police: Virginia State Police - Transporting Firearms through Virginia
As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.

No permit needed for lawful gun-owners 18yo and older to OC. CC allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you don't drink. OC is allowed in restaurants that serve, and you ARE allowed to drink (though I do think that's a bad idea when carrying in general).

If I understand the state rule, you can carry a gun in a vehicle, but it has to be unloaded and secured in a place where the driver can't get ahold of it while driving -ie- in the trunk or a locked container.

If I understand the state rule, you can carry a gun in a vehicle, but it has to be unloaded and secured in a place where the driver can't get ahold of it while driving -ie- in the trunk or a locked container.

Incorrect. It needs to be "secured", which has been ruled in court to include a standard glovebox latch, a center console, etc... The point of the law is to assist mainly OCing residents as CCers don't have to worry about this given they are allowed to conceal it anyways. Namely, since the firearm is to be used for personal protection, it makes little sense if it is a) unloaded and b) stuck behind a stupid lock and not readily accessible. Originally the law was sent to the Governor with the rule being "locked" but was then changed to "secured" at his suggestion before he signed it specifically because of the personal protection issue. Also note, the law says NOTHING about whether the firearm needs to be unloaded. As with OC in VA, since the law does not say it is illegal it is therefore LEGAL to keep the firearm loaded.

Here's the opinion of our AG regarding that issue: http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2012opns/11-111 Newman.pdf

Does anyone know where I would get info on VA's concealed carry laws or just VA carry laws in general? A gun would really make me feel safer when I'm alone.

I'm surprised no one pointed you to this site's information on your state:

Virginia Concealed Carry Permit Information

This would be a good place to start.

Also, the State Police are the authority for information on concealed carry in VA, so this is a link to their site:

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons

but the ISSUING authority for your permit will be the circuit court of the county or city that you live in. The state site explains that for you and how to go about securing a concealed carry permit.

Good luck to you and use this forum for any questions you may have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back