Veteran's Stand Down Anaconda Montana 2013

Gallstones

Today was day one of the Anaconda Veterans for Veterans Stand Down. We passed out stuff.
This was what I got.

I'm a Vet and I have been part of the planning for this event for months. I am also the Volunteer Coordinator this year and working the event. I'll be back to do it again tomorrow.

We received >52 pallets/4x4x4 crates of stuff that was made available to US Veterans free of charge. They picked up a bag at the door and stuffed it as they moved along the tables. Being a Vet and worker I got to stuff a bag or two myself.

Interesting thought I had, we passed out gear to veterans of three counties, a few hundred people at least. Tomorrow we open it up to whomever. If we, as citizens have to go guerilla, at least we are outfitted courtesy of the government.
The image includes a link to my Flickr page where there are notes about what everything is.
The grey jacket on the right has velcro patches on both shoulders. I'm going to put a III% patch on one and a Don't Tread on Me on the other.

You didn't keep your gear when you got out? Lol

I could use a new pistol belt but I'm not driving to Montana to get one.

You didn't keep your gear when you got out? Lol

I could use a new pistol belt but I'm not driving to Montana to get one.

Yes, I did keep some stuff Link Removed but that was a long time ago.

Almost no one took any of the belts. We started with three boxes and packed up three boxes.

That is awesome, I'm a Vet. also, I would have love to have gone to something like that.

They are sponsored by some Veterans group locally. Here, it is the American Legion. You might check with yours and see if they do this. I'm ignorant of the policies and such but our "guy" sends in an order for stuff to another "guy" and a truck or two show up a few days before the event and you unload the pallets.

I've been to three. Two in town and one at Fort Harrison in Helena.

The idea is to bring in homeless and low income vets, see what benefits they might be eligible for, start that process and equip them with stuff. There is so much stuff that any vet can go through the line. It is like the warehouses are only too glad to unload a semi or three of pallets. It is a mixed bag from all the services, mostly no longer issued items some from as far back as Viet Nam.

Almost no one took any of the belts. We started with three boxes and packed up three boxes.

What you're doing is great! Around here, veterans are somewhat despised. I wish we had more resources, excluding the VA...I hate standing in line. And the liberals that work there.

What you're doing is great! Around here, veterans are somewhat despised. I wish we had more resources, excluding the VA...I hate standing in line. And the liberals that work there.

I've been lucky not to encounter many of the veteran hating types. I get nothing but thanks everything I go to events in my uniform. I've actually been really surprised a couple times. I've gone to the Portland City Grill in Portland, OR (one of the nicest restaurants in one of the most liberal cities in the country) twice for anniversary both times in my blues. Both times I've had my $200 tab picked up by complete strangers. The second time I had 3 different people offer to pick it up. It really makes you feel good when you realize it's people like that, that you're fighting for. Makes it all worth it.

I've been lucky not to encounter many of the veteran hating types. I get nothing but thanks everything I go to events in my uniform. I've actually been really surprised a couple times. I've gone to the Portland City Grill in Portland, OR (one of the nicest restaurants in one of the most liberal cities in the country) twice for anniversary both times in my blues. Both times I've had my $200 tab picked up by complete strangers. The second time I had 3 different people offer to pick it up. It really makes you feel good when you realize it's people like that, that you're fighting for. Makes it all worth it.

You must have a nicer face than me. It's only happened once. A lady paid for my cone at Dairy Queen lol mmmmmm

I'm really uncomfortable when people thank me for my service. I don't know what to say, I don't want to seem ungracious but I didn't really do anything extraordinary. Once in a while someone salutes me, like a kid will do that. I just return the salute. I don't want to be considered a pariah, but I don't want the undeserved accolades either.

I find that I am more comfortable in the company of other Vets, even after all this time. Either there are a lot of them here or we just "find" each other by some unconscious signalling or something or I tend to those social nodes that are populated by veterans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back