Vehicle carry law in N.Carolina??

nca_mm

Will be in Charlotte tomorrow (2/23). What is the N.Carolina law on carrying a handgun in your vehicle? Thanks!

It must be visible. If you have a CCW,CHP from any other state, NC will recognize it. You can conceal the gun when your are NOT in the vehicle. This is also a open carry state (not permit needed). So you can carry it on you openly if you dont want too be unarmed while away from your vehicle.
It can be fully loaded too. I know some states say unloaded, In NC doesn't matter if its loaded or not.

The above statement isn't necessarily true. Read the NC laws and see why it is not a good idea to carry in a car in the open.

The law may be that you can open carry in a car but the gun may not be within reach. It may make an officer nervous and confused about your motives..Personally, I don't want to make an officer uneasy about my intentions.

Too many things happening these days without adding to the stress of a police officer, especially an issue of a gun.

Link Removed

It must be visible. If you have a CCW,CHP from any other state, NC will recognize it. You can conceal the gun when your are NOT in the vehicle. This is also a open carry state (not permit needed). So you can carry it on you openly if you dont want too be unarmed while away from your vehicle.
It can be fully loaded too. I know some states say unloaded, In NC doesn't matter if its loaded or not.

Wait....are you saying in NC any citizen can open carry without any type of permit?!

Wait....are you saying in NC any citizen can open carry without any type of permit?!

Yes I am. It is a open carry state. Unless the law says you cant, Like if you have a felony.

Even a better one that most will say is NOT true:
18 and over to open carry in NC. NOT 21...

Look at the link I provided. It is "Firearms Laws' in general and it makes provisions if you have a CWP.

Look at page 20. Transporting.

The directions are clear. You can transport in the open in a vehicle but the paragraph recommends you don't, not only because there is a chance of confusion but that some counties have more restrictive laws.

When I said 'open carry' in my post above, I didn't mean carry on your person even though that's what it looked like I meant.

My bad. I meant openly carry in the car. It is legal but not recommended. That's the way I read it anyway.

KK

It must be visible. If you have a CCW,CHP from any other state, NC will recognize it. You can conceal the gun when your are NOT in the vehicle.

That part of your statement isn't true. I just looked it up here (because it sounded ludicrous that you couldn't carry in your car):
Link Removed

Page 20, Section D:
"Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly autorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit."

That says that if you have a valid concealed carry permit, the restrictions on transportation don't apply.

The other things you said seem to be correct, NC is an open carry state.

Every county follows state law. Cary and Durham have by-laws about carrying on CITY property/sidewalks.
Open carry is open carry. Your vehicle is no different than your person. It just says MAKE SURE YOUR NOT CARRYING CONCEALED.
Follow my link...

Link Removed

That part of your statement isn't true. I just looked it up here (because it sounded ludicrous that you couldn't carry in your car):
Link Removed

Page 20, Section D:
"Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly autorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit."

That says that if you have a valid concealed carry permit, the restrictions on transportation don't apply.

The other things you said seem to be correct, NC is an open carry state.
What did I say that is NOT true... No permit NO CC. You CAN OC.in your car or person, without a permit.

If you are talking about concealing your gun when NOT in a car, Your NOT in the car so how can YOU be concealing anything. Cops don't go opening closed doors looking for guns. You would have to be IN the car, then the cop FIND the gun.

Again I live in the state and carry everyday.

What did I say that is NOT true

You said that if you are in the car it must be open. "It must be visible."

You also said that can conceal it only outside of your vehicle. "You can conceal the gun when your are NOT in the vehicle."

Both of those are not true if you have a valid concealed carry permit, as per the link I provided.

You said that if you are in the car it must be open. "It must be visible."

You also said that can conceal it only outside of your vehicle. "You can conceal the gun when your are NOT in the vehicle."

Both of those are not true if you have a valid concealed carry permit, as per the link I provided.

the OP doesnt have his CWP...that's why muccione is talking about the legality of open carry that the OP can do since he has no CWP. concealed carry laws dont matter in this instance.

the OP doesnt have his CWP...that's why muccione is talking about the legality of open carry that the OP can do since he has no CWP. concealed carry laws dont matter in this instance.

I didn't see him say that anywhere, just that he would be in the state. If so, the discussion of concealed carry was un-needed but, as I said, it didn't appear that he was talking only of open carry.

I'm from NC, and yes you can carry openly and fully loaded. If you don't want to carry on your hip while your out and about, then consider getting a cheapie holster for use while your in the car. Dashboard is legal, but I've never been a fan of a firearm bouncing around car as I drive. If you do get stopped make sure you instantly let officer know you have an openly carried firearm on your hip and be guided by their direction. Open carry in NC is very common, and not a big deal. If you lived here, your wife would get used to the idea as mine did. I oc all the time. Carry on.

I didn't see him say that anywhere, just that he would be in the state. If so, the discussion of concealed carry was un-needed but, as I said, it didn't appear that he was talking only of open carry.

there are two threads he started on this.

Thanks for clearing that persons confusion.

Some people should read ALL of the posts before making a comment.
To the OP.. Open carry and protect your family. Tell the wife this is how its done here in NC.
When in NC, Do like the North Carolinian's.

Thanks for clearing that persons confusion.

Some people should read ALL of the posts before making a comment.
To the OP.. Open carry and protect your family. Tell the wife this is how its done here in NC.
When in NC, Do like the North Carolinian's.

Easier said than done. No chance of getting a holster before I head to Charlotte in the morning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back