VA Concealed Permit public record change?

WoundedVet

I just went in this morning to renew my permit. I was informed that everything on my application, minus my SSN, would be a matter of public record (to include my name and address). Was it always this way? I never recall this being the truth, and also though Kaine got rid of this several years ago. Does anyone know more?

By State

I just went in this morning to renew my permit. I was informed that everything on my application, minus my SSN, would be a matter of public record (to include my name and address). Was it always this way? I never recall this being the truth, and also though Kaine got rid of this several years ago. Does anyone know more?

This depends on your individual state legislation. Currently North Carolina is NOT supposed to be public records per http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/Bills/Senate/PDF/S1038v1.pdf. However I've seen news articles recently that say your information IS public record, which I doubt they have read the law themselves.

What county are you in? There not supposed to. Roanoke has published lists a couple times in the past and it HAS created problems for the CHP holders. Upon your response I'm going to look into this and if illegal, bring the VCDL into it.

It is public record because your application is filed with the clerk of the circuit court. Everything in circuit court is for public consumption. Most folks don't have time to digest everything at the courthouse nor do they have the desire.

It is public record because your application is filed with the clerk of the circuit court. Everything in circuit court is for public consumption. Most folks don't have time to digest everything at the courthouse nor do they have the desire.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back