Urgent Going to New Mexico

rotjovi

I am flying into New Mexico this Sunday. I'm checking from site to site online AND using my conceal/carry iPhone apps. I keep getting different answers on whether or not my Minnesota Permit OR my Utah Permit are valid there??! Does anyone know FOR SURE WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that one of my 2 permits will be valid there? Please help!!!!!!

That's somewhat informative, but if my permit isn't valid, am I going to be hassled at the NM airport?? Especially when declaring it when flying back to MN?

That's somewhat informative, but if my permit isn't valid, am I going to be hassled at the NM airport?? Especially when declaring it when flying back to MN?

No hassle at all. A CCW permit has nothing to do with checking in a gun at the airport. In states like New Mexico, all the CCW permit does is give you the added option to carry a loaded gun concealed on your person, if you choose to conceal it.

Beware of any "establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages," whether for on or off-premises consumption, as carrying in "any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages" is a felony. There are exceptions for CHL holders who carry a concealed handgun in "a licensed establishment that does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises" or in "a restaurant licensed to sell only beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption on the premises." However, with or without a CHL valid in New Mexico, N.M. Stat. § 30-7-3 creates a huge legal minefield--especially for visitors to New Mexico who are unfamiliar with this rather unique law.

No hassle at all. A CCW permit has nothing to do with checking in a gun at the airport. In states like New Mexico, all the CCW permit does is give you the added option to carry a loaded gun concealed on your person, if you choose to conceal it.
And, you may find additional benefits to flying with a handgun. You have to check the bag anyway, so put other valuables inside the locked case and TSA cannot open your bag once it has been checked.

And, you may find additional benefits to flying with a handgun. You have to check the bag anyway, so put other valuables inside the locked case and TSA cannot open your bag once it has been checked.

It is illegal for TSA to open the locked and hard sided gun case that the gun is in. They certainly can, and probably will open a suitcase containing the locked gun case.

Regular non-TSA lock goes on the gun case, that only the owner of the gun retains the key/combo to. The suitcase containing the gun case can be locked with a TSA lock, if desired. If the outer suitcase is locked with a non-TSA lock, there is high probability it will be cut off by the TSA.

Also, even if carrying a gun with a recognized out of state permit, it would still be against Federal law to carry the gun within 1000' of school premises. Only permits issued by the state the school zone is located in are exempted from the statute.

Also without a permit, you cannot open carry into a supermarket or convenience store that sells hard liquor including Walmart. You could conceal carry if you had a valid permit into an establishment that sells liquor not for consumption on the premises but unfortunately that is not your case. It would be nice but I have no hope that HR 822 is going to pass with this Senate and President.

Overall though New Mexico is in general friendly to open carry. Even with a CCW, I like to open carry sometimes and don't get much hassle. Just don't open carry around liquor and schools.

I feel your pain too. I will be heading to Oregon and will be in the same position. They have open carry too.

I made it to New Mexico just fine. Glock was still in my bag when I got in baggage claim. Going to send in my paperwork for my Florida when I get home. I should have that in the mail before I come back down here in a month or so. In the meantime, I'll have it in the car. I've got the safe hooked up by cable to the seat frame. I'll have it in the Marriott room. Not going to try to open carry. My main reason for bringing it is the state of the art shooting range down here called "Calliber's". We have nothing like that in Duluth and it's something for me to do during the day while my wife is at work. Thanks for all the tips!!! Now, we'll see how it goes at the Albuquerque Airport when I head home on Thursday.

When you run into situations like this its best to call the State Police to verify and / or the county sheriffs department. However it's looking as they don't honer either. MN is well received in the Southwest.

When you run into situations like this its best to call the State Police to verify and / or the county sheriffs department. However it's looking as they don't honer either. MN is well received in the Southwest.

Call the state police or the county sheriff's department and you will only get the person's opinion who is on the other end of the phone. It may be correct or incorrect, you will have no idea what is correct or not, and no judge is going to care about what some phone answering file clerk told you on the phone.

The three biggest sources of MISinformation regarding firearms laws has been historically proven to be law enforcement officers, gun store employees, and CCW instructors.

I hope you enjoyed shooting at Calibers. I have found the people to be friendly and willing to help whenever I have shot there. Some of their prices seemed to be a bit high, however.

Neither One Is Accepted

Although NM does not accept either one, you can legally carry conceal in your vehicle without a CCW and, open carry in certain areas.

Caliber's was great!!! Yes, some stuff was a little high priced, but that's just like any gun shop here in MN. I did get a $80 Galco holster there on clearance for $27!!! IWB and I'm done searching for the right one now. I forget my G 23 is even there. This includes while in the drivers seat!!

Oh, I forgot to mention, my FL permit should be in my hands in 2 weeks, so I'll be legal to CC when I go back there after Xmas!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back