Ulster Co Permit denial

Lunytoon95

Ive decided to start a new thread for this, poor dendrokeeper had his thread hijacked by my situation.
Here is what I have posted before in "Ulster County Application"

Hahahahahahha,
I just recently found out my permit application has hereby been denied.
"Due to your background information and the personal interview, your application for a pistol permit is hereby denied, you may reapply in one year"

Just a few facts,
US Navy Combat Vet.
ZERO tickets, convictions or anything for that matter.
I own multiple properties in NY state.
Spoke to permit office, ladies in there even said "Wtf?" about my denial letter. As far as my understanding is, I would have to be denied by an Official SPECIFIC reason, that I may appeal at my choice.

The wonderful ladies in the permit office are going to try resubmitting my application to the new Judge Williams with a letter I have written. Apparently some of the background information that is run on all of us applicants also includes other persons who's names or DOBs are similar, even states that on the form. Judge Schneer chose to ignore this little fact and hold me responsible for other persons actions.

Any questions, comments or suggestions would be very welcome as I have no idea what to do or prepare for.

With the issues you state it sounds as though Judge Schneer is sneering at you, and probably at anyone like you. Major twit on power trip.

Hunter you speak the truth.
From the diggin ive been doin, a bunch of people got denied right before she left office, who she didn't deny had their file wrapped up and shipped off to Judge Williams.
Im glad she lost the election, We can do without that kind of behavior from her.

Once your denied it becomes almost impossible in NY to get a pistol permit.A mandatory wait of ONE YEAR to re-apply and hope a good attorney can get you a permit.I have read your posts and you knew of a problem so you need to be honest here because I know there was an issue by what the letter said by you not passing the backround and interview.You had an interview and wrote about the events that day.Apparently the judge did not want to see any of your paper work.That is a sign your having a problem.I know she looks at paper work when it came to an interview,if you had training or can show cause that is part of the interview.Many of the locals were unprepared from what I know, she issued many restricted permits but also went by with what was on your backround and if anything was unclear she wanted an explanation under oath.I know in your other post you have an issue with Ulster County.I can tell you that you may never get a pistol permit by doing it alone.You need a good attorney that can get you a permit now.I know it may cost you a few thousand ,but it could be a very good learning experience.From the diggin ive been doin,I bet you wont get a pistol permit this year because its fact!!!

Keep in mind that he was not the only one denied like this. There were quite a few people, all at the same time. From what I am told, this situation has never happened and for a judge who was on her way out the door does not pass the smell test.

You are right though..Once denied it is very close to impossible to obtain a permit. Luck and a good lawyer might make the difference.
So what your saying is that this judge would allow a bad apple slide by and screw the honest law abiding civilian?.....I doubt it, you know that you must meet a certain criteria by passing the backroud than the interview so yes it is difficult here in NY to get a permit but not imposssible.If this guy along with the others were spot free in the backround they would have passed.The only problem all the permits issued before this were without an interview,so this and other guys must meet the requirements set in section 400.of the NYPL.More people passed than failed but think it's a different ball game now that you have an interview.

Where in my post can you infer that I would think a bad apple would slide through? What I said was from what I have been told, after loosing re-election, she denied all permits on her desk that had yet been signed. I do not know if this is actually the case, but I head it from a person who is high up in county government. If there was in issue in the background...I would think that the judge would ask about it during the interview, but that would be common sense. And FYI. The judge did not want to see supporting documents from people that she did issue permits to as well.

Judge Schneer did not want to see anything during my interview, from anyone that went up before her.
I tried to offer copies of property tax bills, DD214, military pistol qualification, safety courses, defense courses I have taken out west years ago. She wanted NONE of it.
Now how is that making a fair and honest decision when the Judge plays ignorant, Hunter One?
There is a difference of being denied because of your past actions and behavior versus being denied with no reason given (Law States it HAS to be SPECIFIC) especially when myself and others were never given a fair and honest interview with the Judge.

Judge Schneer did not want to see anything during my interview, from anyone that went up before her.
I tried to offer copies of property tax bills, DD214, military pistol qualification, safety courses, defense courses I have taken out west years ago. She wanted NONE of it.
Now how is that making a fair and honest decision when the Judge plays ignorant, Hunter One?
There is a difference of being denied because of your past actions and behavior versus being denied with no reason given (Law States it HAS to be SPECIFIC) especially when myself and others were never given a fair and honest interview with the Judge.
So lets be honest,I read your other post which gave indications you were notified that a problem did exist with an associated name and DOB, so the judge took it out on you for the other persons actions.I feel bad that you were denied a pistol permit.My question is did you have a pistol permit issued from another state.Any obstacles you may know of need to be taken care of before you apply for a pistol permit.You have to remember times have changed the interview caused a problem for many locals.Judge Shneer was the county judge so permits for pistols came last, civil & criminal matters go first.

Where in my post can you infer that I would think a bad apple would slide through? What I said was from what I have been told, after loosing re-election, she denied all permits on her desk that had yet been signed. I do not know if this is actually the case, but I head it from a person who is high up in county government. If there was in issue in the background...I would think that the judge would ask about it during the interview, but that would be common sense. And FYI. The judge did not want to see supporting documents from people that she did issue permits to as well.
The way she left office did not smell right.I can tell you this she put all other applicants in an envelope for the new judge to do since she was busy attending to other important matters in the county.It's incorrect you do not now so dont bother even writting it down.You need to be careful since you advertise your business here.Apparently this guy already had an issue and was denied.He needs to man up and hire an attorney instead he's talking to lawyers and judges?Even you wrote that they can deny you.The SPECIFIC reason he was not issued a permit was his backround and interview.That is why he needs an attorney,he could have hired one while he was going through his backround with the lawyers letter to notify his office if there is a problem.Now this guy is crying I wont wait a year!

New York is a MAY issue state so you can be denied.However anyone that is clean and is of a good moral character meets the criteria may be issued.If you apply for a permit it always a good idea to have good character refrences.Also include any certificates like hunter safety or NRA handgun safety courses.I have even seen letters from attorneys to contact them if there client may have an issue.Applying for a permit in NY is very easy in the upstate counties.

schneer totally sucked.accident of a .judge appointed by an accident of a governor.with 10000 more dems than reps in this county she managed to get her clock cleaned.im a dem and i know she was unqualified.i didnt want to be judged by her,i went out like alot of people and got rid of her .good riddance.her only loyal constituancy were crips, bloods and a seven time dwi drug dealing fugitive. now the other judges gotta clean up, and theyre busy,so i doubt thats gonna happen.it was theyre decision to require these interviews and for the out of control taxes i pay in this county i want them to make the time or go back to letting the sheriff handle us.

schneer totally sucked.accident of a .judge appointed by an accident of a governor.with 10000 more dems than reps in this county she managed to get her clock cleaned.im a dem and i know she was unqualified.i didnt want to be judged by her,i went out like alot of people and got rid of her .good riddance.her only loyal constituancy were crips, bloods and a seven time dwi drug dealing fugitive. now the other judges gotta clean up, and theyre busy,so i doubt thats gonna happen.it was theyre decision to require these interviews and for the out of control taxes i pay in this county i want them to make the time or go back to letting the sheriff handle us.
The Sheriff handles the investigation.The interview was just started not too long ago.Things were very easy,pistol permits were no restrictions.Other counties next to Ulster always had the interview which made it just a tad more difficult because the judge would ask a bunch of questions to the applicant.The problem is the judge is busy and the permits are always last on the list.It would be better if the county had a permit office that handled everything so the judge would not be involved at all.Many licensed permit holders wait weeks to get a gun put on there permit,this needs to be changed.No approvals from the judge to sign off on your new pistol.Is the new judge going to be any better.I still believe he would have denied a permit to all the same people that Schneer did.

Ulster County used to have a huge backlog of amendments, but Judge Cahill now allows the Ulster County Pistol Office to add and subtract handguns from your permit. You can buy a pistol and pick it up in the same day, which as Hunter Won said, is often not the case outside of Ulster County.

schneer was unqualified.a criminals advocate.if you are going to deny someone at least specify why(stolen and missused identity crimes can happen to anyone) you may be right hunter, but something smells when people are denied en mass. you say its easy in upstate counties but we went from shall to may fast.lunytoon could be our heller . if hes got money for a good lawyer and wants to fight the vsystem ,i say go!

Im from Ulster County too. I recently moved here. I say that if Schneer was denying permits in-mass we all need to stand up and stand behind Luny and support him fully. I agree that a BS rejection letter with NO reason as to why needs to be fought against. If you dont know what prompted the rejection on your background check HOW THE HELL are you supposed to get it corrected so you can re-apply in 1 year? That is CRAP! What Schneer did was unjust and she should be held accountable to either give a fully disclosed reason for the rejection or his permit app should be approved. The way I see it, He has been convicted of a "crime" without ever being told what he was being accused of. TOTALLY ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

Last edited:
Im from Ulster County too. I recently moved here. I say that if Schneer was denying permits in-mass we all need to stand up and stand behind Luny and support him fully. I agree that a BS rejection letter with NO reason as to why needs to be fought against. If you dont know what prompted the rejection on your background check HOW THE HELL are you supposed to get it corrected so you can re-apply in 1 year? That is CRAP! What Schneer did was unjust and she should be held accountable to either give a fully disclosed reason for the rejection or his permit app should be approved. The way I see it, He has been convicted of a "crime" without ever being told what he was being accused of. TOTALLY ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

BRAVO STRESCO!!!!!
Thank You! You are correct. I have been held accountable for something that I have no idea "What" that is, how in the world can I fix something that I do not know exists?

BRAVO STRESCO!!!!!
Thank You! You are correct. I have been held accountable for something that I have no idea "What" that is, how in the world can I fix something that I do not know exists?
I believe you already know why you were denied a permit.If you were not a problem to the P.D. remember they are the law and the judge does not want to hear a negative about law enforcement.You have a history with the P.D. which is negative.The new judge is pro Law Enforcement and believe won't even entertain your letter after he checks your file.The last thing a cop or judge wants is a civilian who is confrontational and may use that gun on his girlfriends ex-husband.You gave too much information and it backfired in your face.You think any judge is going to give you a permit if they know your history!!!

I believe you already know why you were denied a permit.If you were not a problem to the P.D. remember they are the law and the judge does not want to hear a negative about law enforcement.You have a history with the P.D. which is negative.The new judge is pro Law Enforcement and believe won't even entertain your letter after he checks your file.The last thing a cop or judge wants is a civilian who is confrontational and may use that gun on his girlfriends ex-husband.You gave too much information and it backfired in your face.You think any judge is going to give you a permit if they know your history!!!

Wow Hunter, all I can say after these few days with posting here is that you want to argue ever little detail. It would take volumes of information to convey to you all of the facts you are missing.
My HISTORY, is a Law Upholding Citizen. If everyone else thinks that is a problem, then that is their problem.

I don't know Luny from ADAM. I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I do know that if he was denied, he has the right to know why. If it was me I'd be seething right now, not because of the denial letter but because it never spelled out why? If the Judge or Investigating officer believes that he is of Poor Moral Quality and Luny should not be allowed a CCP, then they need to include what prompted the decision in the denial letter so it can be documented and Luny can then petition the courts for review of their statements. This way he has the chance to prove that he was misjudged and clear up any misunderstandings for when he re-submits his application. If it turns out that he is truly of Poor Moral Quality and should not be allowed to carry a pistol it will be documented as well.

I don't know Luny from ADAM. I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I do know that if he was denied, he has the right to know why. If it was me I'd be seething right now, not because of the denial letter but because it never spelled out why? If the Judge or Investigating officer believes that he is of Poor Moral Quality and Luny should not be allowed a CCP, then they need to include what prompted the decision in the denial letter so it can be documented and Luny can then petition the courts for review of their statements. This way he has the chance to prove that he was misjudged and clear up any misunderstandings for when he re-submits his application. If it turns out that he is truly of Poor Moral Quality and should not be allowed to carry a pistol it will be documented as well.
I think Luny needs to hire a lawyer because he has been denied and needs to wait ONE YEAR.Are poor friend did write a post he has about the police,which is poor judgement on his part if he's trying to gain any support .You think if someone has a confrontation with the police is going to get anywhere ....NO, let a trained attorney get the facts from the court.Your going to need to spend a lot of money to get a permit because you were denied.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back