u dont want a big, heavy pistoll for shtf.

thru

Banned
you want a 1 lb pocket 9mm, and some sort of autoloading rifle. If you use your pistol much at all, you wont make it. So a couple of magazines of ammo for it is plenty. There will be no practicing once shtf, cause the noise will call in your killers. The pistol is so inferior to the rifle that you'd better need it very little at all. Stealth, knowledge, skill and focus had better be what you use, not lots of rifle ammo! If your rifle and ammo are too heavy/bulky to be slung at the ready, then you need to swap to some other gear.

I"ll TAKE having 30 lbs less ammo and mags for my rifle, and in their place, take some nvd's and a solar charger for the batteried, cause I'm not coming out in daylight for about a year, after shtf. Dog packs will be a huge issue, if shtf and they can hunt at night just fine. Some will be so desperate, and so accustomed to ineffective shots by humans, that merely hitting one of them will not stop the others. Think about that. Dogs hit 50 fps, 35 mph. How good are you at hitting moving targets in the dark? how quickly and to what ranges?

It will be your head and instincts that will help you survive, not your steel/polymer weapons.

of course, and you'd better be using your head NOW, selecting proper gear and learning to use it all well. Humankind has no instincts. All that remains are some infantile reflexes. Our THINKING consciousness proved so far superior to instincts that the latter were "bred out of" us. We learn a fair number of things while our mother is bearing us, like fear of loud noises, fear of loss of support/balance.

you want a 1 lb pocket 9mm, and some sort of autoloading rifle. If you use your pistol much at all, you wont make it. So a couple of magazines of ammo for it is plenty. There will be no practicing once shtf, cause the noise will call in your killers. The pistol is so inferior to the rifle that you'd better need it very little at all. Stealth, knowledge, skill and focus had better be what you use, not lots of rifle ammo! If your rifle and ammo are too heavy/bulky to be slung at the ready, then you need to swap to some other gear.

My full size Glock 22 is only 6 oz more than your pocket 9mm. I'll keep my G22 and my rifle rather than swapping it for a pocket 9mm.

and carry it WHERE, along with pack and rifle? some place out in the debris and weather, unconcealed? no thanks. My pistol for shtf is 13 ozs. Your G22 is not 19 ozs, and you probably like 180 gr bullets, which means a couple of your mags full weigh a full lb.. Gotta have a spare mag, in case one gets deformed, or split or dented, etc.

I've thought about replacing my Llama .380 (which is sorta a non-use sorta pistol, I hardly shoot it) in my BoB with one of these:Link Removed

with a silencer. I've got an SR22 that I could put in the bag too, but IDK... haven't made the pistol a priority.

and carry it WHERE, along with pack and rifle? some place out in the debris and weather, unconcealed? no thanks. My pistol for shtf is 13 ozs. Your G22 is not 19 ozs, and you probably like 180 gr bullets, which means a couple of your mags full weigh a full lb.. Gotta have a spare mag, in case one gets deformed, or split or dented, etc.

G22 is 22oz which is 6 oz more than 1 lb (which you said your pocket 9 was originally and then change your tune and respond that it is 13 oz instead). I never said my G22 was 19 oz which would only be 3 oz more than 1 lb.

And only one of my mags in the mag well would still have more ammo than your pocket 9mm with a couple extra mags... so I don't see your tactical advantage, especially if shtf (your term) and 6 guys started coming at me for my gear and food. Nor do I see why you post a new thread and tell everyone "this is the way it has to be (original post) and no one else is right (response to my post)"

If tactically, a pocket 9mm is the best way to go with a few extra mags, then why is the M1911 used by the military (oh btw, it's 2.4 lbs)

To answer your question, carry it WHERE??... why not a Serpa holster on my belt? I carry it daily in a Serpa on my belt now.. If needing to bug out, it would still be there. ??? not sure why this would have even been a question. One will bug out with what they have on them and what is in their BoB. You mention it being out in the debris and weather. Glock was made for this type of harsh environment. How are you protecting your rifle in the "debris and weather" and "slung over your shoulder"?

I'm done with this pi$$ing match. Truth is, you take what you feel is necessary to survive and it comes down to making comprises over necessity vs. weight. You feel that your pocket 9mm is best for you, great. Just don't preach it to everyone else that this is the only way to go.

I went back through my BoB and swapped the .380 for the SR22. I've got two 10rd mags plus 100 spare rounds of .22lr in the pack now, that should suffice for a 'survival' handgun. I have actually pondered getting a Crickett .22lr for a BoB weapon as well, much like the setup in this article: Link Removed.

I've got provisions in my vehicle, in hopes I wouldn't have to abandon it... such as a Kel-Tec SU-16b with five 20rd and one 30rd mags, a few gallons of water, more food, tarp, rope, cord, lighters/matches, hatchet, more zip-ties, duck tape, blanket, flashlight, light sticks, mess kit, Fire Start bricks, tool kits, 10lb hammer, Tire Slime/pump kit, anti-freeze and motor oil........... and maybe some other stuff, too.

it's much more complicated than people think, but also simpler, if you go at it correctly. I could remain undetected, with 20 people in the same square mile of wooded hills, for a year, by means of staying in a dugout all day, having cached food nearby, and not leaving tracks. do you know that "nail sandals" are? They fix it so that you leave very little in the way of tracks, but they are tiring and slow to use. You have to lift your feet straight up, no dragging or dropping of toes, for several inches of each step. It's sort of like walking with your hands on your knees. Very hard to do for more than 50 yds or so, but that's far enough for most people to give up trying to find your trail again.

This means that if shtf, you need go no further than the woods around your local water source. 5-20 miles, for almost everyone in the lower 48 states. So there's no vehicle risk/problems. perhaps a mountain bicycle or two, for a family. You need a year's supply of food cached at the BOL. An Suv won't hold such, along with the needed gear, for one person, even. Line a small dugout with mylar Space blankets, and wear proper clothing,and you won't be cold! :) gotta use the more expensive 'heavy duty" type on the floor, but the easily torn, cheaper stuff is ok for the walls, except near the 2 exits.

But it means having to bury, discretely, at night, almost 1000 lbs of food per adult. At least 500 lbs, and then figure on sprouting some grain and legumes., maybe some fish traps, nets, trotlines. The game will all be gone, soon after shtf. I would not settle for a .22 as the BOB handgun, unless it was a suppressed model, and I still wouldn't like not having some power on tap. 100 rds of .22 is just 3/4 lb, tho,and if you also have a 22 rifle, (preferably a conversion unit in a 223 auto rifle) then it's useful ammo. I'd certainly not settle for a single shot! google for gunbroker.com and look there for an old Marlin "Papoose" takedown auto rifle. the Ar 7 is a piece of junk. save your money;

If we were leaving from our home, then ideally I'd have at least my M9 on me... as would the wife. Her BoB/SHTF rifle is an M1 Carbine ( I know there are better choices, but this is what she/we're comfortable with) and my choice is an AK (I have my reasons...). However, this is ideally if we're able to use our vehicle to get out of dodge. Bare minimum though, I'd like to have the .22lr handgun in the bag and a Crickett only weighs about 2lbs and can be broken down for stowage. Understanding there are fare better defensive handgun calibers, .22lr can be extremely deadly in the right hands against unprotected foe. I can dump an entire 10rd mag in a pie plate at 25ft in about 3 seconds... that's not professional, but it's better than most.

a Ciener .22lr unit for the AK is 3/4 lb, costs very little more than the cricket, and practice with the Cricket won't help your AK skills much, if at all. Instead of a single shot, you'll have a 30rd box mag. if the ak is a 223 variant and if you get the modified, speed lever safety, it's an ok choice. the NG and military arsenals have a billion rds of 223, and not a single rd of AK ammo. I don't know for a fact, but I'd think that a can intended to let .311" bullets pass thru would not suppress the .22lr all that well, but I have no personal experience with one. My 223 can has considerably smaller holes thru the baffles. powder gas than can "blow past" the bullet makes noise.

a takedown (concealable) .22 auto rifle, with a big box mag and a suppressor, and 60 gr Aquila subsonic ammo, along with stealth and skills, is no joke. I'd take one over ANY unsuppressed centerfire, for shtf.

Hunting cabin in the woods, already there. More than 5 miles to nearest neighbor, river two side, swamp on another. Too far the the city rats to find it. If you don't know where it is, seriously doubt you would find it. My 'normal' residence is 20+ miles from town, so little advantage there also.
Guns and ammo are there, as well as supplies and stuff. Plenty of archery gear there as well, so foraging for food is a normal event there (hunting.fishing). Doesn't get much quieter than a bow for shooting. Trail cameras everywhere.
Not much different if things went bad, just an extended hunt. Much easier for the family then telling them they are living in dugouts and stuff. If you are already a hunter/fisherman, makes it that much easier.

a Ciener .22lr unit for the AK is 3/4 lb, costs very little more than the cricket, and practice with the Cricket won't help your AK skills much, if at all. Instead of a single shot, you'll have a 30rd box mag. if the ak is a 223 variant and if you get the modified, speed lever safety, it's an ok choice. the NG and military arsenals have a billion rds of 223, and not a single rd of AK ammo. I don't know for a fact, but I'd think that a can intended to let .311" bullets pass thru would not suppress the .22lr all that well, but I have no personal experience with one. My 223 can has considerably smaller holes thru the baffles. powder gas than can "blow past" the bullet makes noise.

The other huge upside to having a single-shot .22lr is I can also shoot .22 long, short and CB... that's worth something in a survival scenario. I don't have (nor plan to get) a .223 AK... I have an AK-74 though, but it's not my primary. I'm a 7.62x39 kinda guy, my combat tour in Afghan created a slight distaste for ARs and 5.56x45. They work fine, under the right circumstances... but, let's not start that debate. I'm not worried at all about military bases/depots not having '39..... if the time comes when what my family (all extended included) and the civilian population has is gone, I'll use whatever is available. Whether it's .223/5.56, 7.62x54R or 12ga...... there are billions of rounds in AmeriKa, and millions of the ones I've got, y'know.

A silenced Ruger 22/45 does sound really cool though... ;)

the 1 lb was if it's loaded. ammo does weigh something. unless you are settling for a silenced, takedown .22lr as your shtf rifle (a much better choice than any manually operated centerfire, or any shotgun( then you don't want a large pistol. If yoU DO go with the .22 rifle, then you'd be well advised ot use something like a glock 9mm. if it's got corbon 100gr powrball ammo in it. 1 spare mag better handle things. this is actually a pretty good set up, IF you can the .22 rifle, and understand that you must remain undetected. Cache some goodies, like 4 drums per person, in about a mile wide circle, around your concealed dugout, emerge only at night, and you'll have 10x less trouble than all those who stay above groujnd in daylight.

Everyone has a different opinion for SHTF, we can only say, who ever has the most bullets will win, plain and simple. I plan on keeping my M&W M&P 40 and will take at least 8 Mags with me, I dont feel the need to take the time to reload, Ill also take my 12GA shotgun and my winchester Mod 94 30/30. I feel I need to be prepared for what ever comes, shotgun is good CQC weapon as well as the pistol. Shotgun has more power and less need for accuracy, especially if theres any night fighting. 30/30 is a good long range weapon, light and reliable. Very few mechanical parts to get dirty, and ammo is plentiful. When time comes, there will be plenty of weapons to choose form. I would personally choose to avoid conflict if possible, but if it comes, I want the bigger stick, not a small inaccurate 1lb 9mm

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back