Trip to Yellowstone

Z06Luke

Hey guys, the wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone later this month and intend to spend some time camping in various locations around the park. Between Yellowstone being well known for bears, as well as being overrun with wolves that have basically lost their fear of mankind, there is no way in the world that I won't be carrying my .44 mag. Yellowstone spans into Idaho and Montana, but the majority of it is in Wyoming. Since the 2010 nullification of the firearms ban in National Parks my understanding is that any firearms regulations fall to the state. I have a Washington CCW which has reciprocity in Idaho and Montana, but not Wyoming. However, Wyoming is to my understanding an open carry state. Are there any prohibitions that anyone is aware of that would prevent me from open carrying in my vehicle while I am in Wyoming? Any reason that I cannot open carry in my vehicle when in Idaho and Montana despite holding a valid CCW? Any recommendations or advise outside of the questions that I have already asked?

Thanks!

... Are there any prohibitions that anyone is aware of that would prevent me from open carrying in my vehicle while I am in Wyoming? Any reason that I cannot open carry in my vehicle when in Idaho and Montana despite holding a valid CCW? Any recommendations or advise outside of the questions that I have already asked? Thanks!

When I lived in Wyoming in the 1970s I did not have any special license, and the requirements were that the pistol that I was carrying had to be immediately visible by the LEOs. So I put mine on the dash and at other times on the seat next to me, uncovered. Your best bet is to go on line to all three states and read what they say about their rules, and PRINT the salient parts, and carry that with you in your vehicle and on your person when away from your vehicle. Also be very careful about carrying your pistol into any US National Park Service buildings--permit or not you can't carry into the buildings that are USNPS. Hotels I have carried into in the park in Montana, with a GA CCP, but look for any warnings posted. Persons at Glacier Park, MT are denied passage on the boats that carry you across the lakes. Signs are posted. If your piece is completely concealed, and no one saw you on the trail with it that could rat you out, well, decide for yourself, but fair notice. What posters put here are helpful but a state's own rules printed out will best advise you and offer proof that you have tried hard to comply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back