Tricky Tricky: Legislature Hides Some Text of Defeated Ghost Gun Bill in NEW Bill

freethink

freethink
Hello,

As those of you who are watching the California Legislature know, there was a significant victory the last session when SB 808, a.k.a. the 'De Leon's Ghost Gun Bill,' went down in defeat as Governor Brown vetoed it. (That was that bill that would have required registration and serialization of any receiver you make in your own home.)

Anyway, here it is, Memorial Day weekend, and I'm looking through the list of bills which we can get defeated right now based on that they can actually be stalled and stopped dead in the Appropriations Committee, and it's these:

Senate Bill 347: Adds new firearm prohibitions, expands APPS

Senate Bill 707: Eliminates CCW exemption to "Gun-Free School Zone Act"

Senate Bill 678: Would mandate DOJ to explore "smart" guns

Assembly Bill 84: Mandatory DNA collection for non-violent firearm crimes

One of the things I noticed as I was reading the text of the bill of Senate Bill 347 was that it included the following, buried in a spot where, of course, it would be unlikely for you to find it ~ the phrase:

"or if the firearm is not registered"

Hmm, I thought. That's interesting. I read it a little more closely and then realized what was being done there.

In a prior legislative session, SB 808 – the bill that would have required serialization and registration of anything you make as a receiver in your own home – was defeated by Governor's veto. Making unserialized, unregistered firearms in your own home for your own purpose is legal in California. But now, authors of SB 347 in the CA Legislature are tring to bring back SB 808 to criminalize an unregistered firearm without bothering to exempt those who make or finish receivers in their own home, by inclusion of a vague phrase, “or if the firearm is not registered,” resulting in a new registry system where one does not exist and is not supported under law. SB 347 should be allowed to die.

OK, enough of me rambling on.

Here's the link where you can go to act to oppose SB 347 (and other things):

Link Removed

Form letter all ready to go and everything.

For the other bills mentioned above, to oppose all those, go here:

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act/

Thank you!

And have a happy rest of Memorial Day weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back