Travelling through Illinois - WITH A GUN!!!

radiotom

Driving from Michigan to Utah...I am a Michigan resident and have a CPL. We have reciprocity the whole way except Illinois.

I was planning on sticking the Glock 19 (15 round magazine) unloaded and in the trunk for Illinois. Is this legally OK? If pulled over in Illinois should I tell the officer about the gun in the trunk?

Obviously the rest of the states I carry like normal. I really don't want to drive around all of Illinois...takes me really far south...

Thanks guys.

You don't have to if you have a permit in your state. You can carry but only in your car

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I would leave it unloaded in your trunk while you drive through Illinois, while it may sound bad, I would not notify an LEO [in Illinois]. If he does not have probable cause to search, then dont allow him to search your vehicle, remain respectful and get the stop over as fast as possible. OR, go around Illinois, find the quickest route through the state, and dont stop until the sign kicks you in the butt.

FOPA is your friend, google it, read it, memorize it and follow it to a T and you should have no problems

FOPA is your friend, google it, read it, memorize it and follow it to a T and you should have no problems

Looks like that says I cannot be prosecuted while travelling for a firearms related offense having it unloaded and inaccessible to me. Thanks.

I have posted this several times. This is from the I'll. state police site at

Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

"Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act."

I have called and verified this. Yes you can have it loaded. It even applies if you are on a motorcycle. Just place it in your saddle bag if you dismont.

kwc says Yes, concealed carry anywhere in the car is okay, including on the hip. Unless he is from Illinois and knows something the rest of us don't. If you conceal carry in Illinois you better hope you don't even see a cop. FOPA only covers you traveling through a state, you cannot stop for anything except as needed, for gas, meals, etc. You can NOT stop overnight. You cannot carry concealed or open unless it is allowed by that state. You must have all firearms in a locked container outside of the reach of all passengers. Ammunition must also be in a separate locked container. This applies to all states that you do not have a carry permit for.

Last bit of advice. Check with the Ill. attorney general, they are still in the process of writing their law.

I have to travel through Illinois to visit family in MA. I am extra careful in ILL and NY and MA.

No weapon in history ever acted on it's own.

This is very helpful and I thank all of you!

I live in PA and when I drive thru NJ, NY, & CT alot so I put my handgun in a case in my SUV ( no trunk) and the magazine somewhere else in the SUV. This is a huge pain in the butt!

So does this mean that since I have a License to Carry in PA that I can drive thru any state if I have the handgun just in the vehicle?

Thank you for the information!

This is very helpful and I thank all of you!

I live in PA and when I drive thru NJ, NY, & CT alot so I put my handgun in a case in my SUV ( no trunk) and the magazine somewhere else in the SUV. This is a huge pain in the butt!

So does this mean that since I have a License to Carry in PA that I can drive thru any state if I have the handgun just in the vehicle?

Thank you for the information!

No it does not. you can carry in states that reciprocate with PA and in states that don't you need to follow the FOPA law

I thought I posted this but I don't see it! BTW thanks for the advise!

I have a LTCarry in PA. I drive thru NJ, NY, & PA a lot so with my LTCarry from PA can I carry as I drive thru NJ,NY, & CT as long as don't stay overnight etc.????

So can I drive thru any state with my PA LTCarry as long as don't stay overnight etc.?

Thank you!

Honestly I do not think all of Illinois is a problem just Chicago I would avoid Chicago like stepping in a pile of dog poo. I was in the back seat
of a car going through southern Illinois with a S&W 10mm on my hip and a small 22 in the seat and Indiana plates when we got pulled over by a state cop and he checked all 3 of our D.L. But didn't ask or say a word about guns so maybe we were lucky or he just didn't care. but we were coming back from Chris Kyle's Funeral in Texas and we told him that and the 2 gentlemen I was with were both Veterans so I guess that stuff might of helped but I do not think it would of turned out that way in Chicago!

Very nice to know!! I, too , am a Michigan resident who has family and friends in my home state of Nebraska as well as in Denver, CO. Nice to know I can just have it with me and I don't even mind locking it in the trunk during the duration of the trip across IL. Doesn't take that long and if I stop in Michigan City IN and fill up, I don't even stop for gas.

kwc says "Yes, concealed carry anywhere in the car is okay, including on the hip."

Unless he is from Illinois and knows something the rest of us don't. If you conceal carry in Illinois you better hope you don't even see a cop. FOPA only covers you traveling through a state, you cannot stop for anything except as needed, for gas, meals, etc. You can NOT stop overnight. You cannot carry concealed or open unless it is allowed by that state. You must have all firearms in a locked container outside of the reach of all passengers. Ammunition must also be in a separate locked container. This applies to all states that you do not have a carry permit for.

Last bit of advice. Check with the Ill. attorney general, they are still in the process of writing their law.

I have to travel through Illinois to visit family in MA. I am extra careful in ILL and NY and MA.

No weapon in history ever acted on it's own.

msg51: Yes, I do currently live in IL (PA resident assigned here on active duty military orders) and have verified this with the ISP as well.

You can be more conservative and follow FOPA if you wish, but as I and others have stated the law does give you a degree of flexibility above that via the so-called "vehicle safe haven" clause in the statute.

By the way, even prior to the passage of the new IL concealed carry law, IL did not require magazines and/or ammo to be stored separately from the firearm. The existing rules at that time allowed them to be locked in the same case together, as long as the firearm wasn't loaded. These rules still apply for those without concealed carry licenses.

Illinois law sates that you can travel through Illinois carrying concealed as long as you have a permit from your home state AND as long as the weapon never leaves your car. If you travel a lot, a good smart phone app is Concealed Carry 50 States. It shows you every state your permit(s) are good in, has links to the AG laws from every single state - including transportation laws, and updates in real time as new laws are passed. The app also tells you what it takes to get out of state permits from other states. For the road-tripping family, I recommend getting as many out-of-state permits as possible.

Read all the new laws concerning OC in Illinois. Things have changed to allow more, but read the laws to be sure. As for putting your firearm in the trunk, unloaded and in a LOCKED case, you should be fine through the state.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back