traveling with concealed carry permit

hemicuda7023

I am trying to find the laws on concealed carry laws while in a motor vehicle for kentucky and indiana. i do have a ccw permit for Ohio. I know that I can carry in these states. But I have been looking on the internet for these laws and only find laws for concealed carry no motor vehicle and transporting without a concealed carry permit.
Please help?

Your Ohio carry permit is recognized by Indiana so you're good to go there. There are no restrictions for motor vehicle carry if you have a permit. I do not know about Kentucky.

Also, technically at this time, there of no legal way to transport a handgun in Indiana without a carry permit unless you are traveling to/from a place of purchase or repair. There is an effort right now to get this changed because, again technically, it is illegal to travel to a shooting range with a pistol if you don't have a carry permit.

But I have been looking on the internet for these laws and only find laws for concealed carry no motor vehicle and transporting without a concealed carry permit.
Please help?

That's because if you have a recognized permit there are no special concealed carry laws for inside a vehicle.

So just to clarify. If I have a concealed carry permit I can have a loaded gun anywhere in my car in indiana. No sort of restrictions. The reason I am a little skeptical is because ohio's law on gives you certain options like in a holster on your person, in a locked glove box or consol, or in a closed container that you must unzip or snap to get the gun. I have checked handgun laws website which I like, but did not find the info I was looking for and did notwant to assume that lack of law meant there was no law.

Generally lack of a law means just that...there is no law.

In general, laws tell what you can't do, not what you can. Unless it is an exception to a general prohibition etc...

You won't find a law that says you can wear a red shirt...you just won't find a law that says you can't.

It would seem in Ohio it must either be on your person or stored in a container or compartment of the vehicle. So I guess you couldn't just leave it out on the seat. I think most of the states that say it must be in plain site in a vehicle applies to those that allow carry in a car without a permit and for those without a permit.

Thank you for the info. Though when I said I didn't want to assume the lack of a law meant there wasn't one. I was refering to the sources putting that info on their site. Not that the government could do what ever they decided. I did not describe my question very clear on my last post. I don't know if that gives you a better understanding of why I said what I said.

I got ya... Handgunlaw.us trys to post all relevant laws, but guess they could miss one.

The main reason for part of my post is because some in the past have said, "Show me the law that says it's legal to do X." Although you didn't really do that.

Enjoy your trip!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back