Traveling w\ CCW permit...

DWB.357

Hi all, first post on your forum...very impressed with your numbers! I mostly frequent the Smith & Wesson Forum as well as The High Road, but will be visiting this site often...

My wife & I have started taking about a road trip to see friends & relatives in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, & Georgia next spring...As I started plotting out the gun laws through these states with my Utah (non-resident) permit, wouldn't it be cool to be able to use a CCW TRAVEL PLOTTER, kind of like using the online conversion calculators & language translators... I would pay a pretty reasonable fee to have my entire trip planned out considering my Utah Permit & my travel plans. I understand that there would be a heavy disclaimer, but that info would be priceless!

Dave in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Carry across the states

This might be superfluous, but I will comment from experience, since I just got back from the southeast.

NOTE: Since you live in Idaho and have a "non-resident Utah permit", that might be a problem for carry elsewhere.

If your state has a reciprocal agreement with the states, generally you are OK in 99% of the cases. Laws on State Parks, etc. vary.

When you pass through a state with "NO carry" laws, then when you leave your vehicle, your weapon must not be carried, obviously.

Almost every state recognizes that when you are INside your vehicle traveling, that vehicle is your domain and you can carry a weapon with you for protection. Sometimes it is a sticky situation that might cause you a hassle if caught at a traffic stop, but extreme courtesy to the officer is 99% of the outcome. But years ago it did cost me $2,000 to be right in court. The judge got a big hunk of the LEO's butt.

NOTE: Since you live in Idaho and have a "non-resident Utah permit", that might be a problem for carry elsewhere.
It is fairly simple to research the particular states to find out their laws.

YES, it would be great if someone had this readily available for us. Thanks.

Added
Just looked it up.
Idaho has a carry permit law.
Question every officer will ask is....... "Why don't YOU have a permit from your own home state?" hhhhmmmmmm?

That could get you an expensive trial and a "tell it to the judge/jury."

Interesting post above.....

Everything I have read is real simple.... whether you are in a car or not, once you cross into another state's territory you are bound by their laws (CCW and all). Look up the various CCW statuates on this site and others... and always verify with the links provided to each state's actual Attorney General or official agnecy site for the most up to date information on CCW-ing.

For example.... drive into Ohio.... the first words out of your mouth if stopped is "Hello Officer, I have a conceal carry permit and currently carrying a firearm. How would you like to me to proceed or do?" In Ohio, they have a very strict "MUST NOTIFY" rule... more so than some states... brush up!!!

I live in Kansas and we do not have to notify... but I have chosen to do so if ever stopped (never have been)... and will always do so if travling out of state just in case I am in a state like Ohio and did not fully realize their "discloure rule".

Your car may be your "mobile, just passing through domain".... but that is open for interpretation that I am not willing to risk!!

Have fun on your trip.

print your laws and carry with

Note,

I have my state's laws printed off the state police website and I carry them in my car, including the listing of reciprocal states.
Can't hurt.

Note,

I have my state's laws printed off the state police website and I carry them in my car, including the listing of reciprocal states.
Can't hurt.

Just don't forgot, an Idaho resident who is carrying on a Utah permit, the reciprocity has to be with Utah, reciprocity with Idaho has nothing to do with it.

Question every officer will ask is....... "Why don't YOU have a permit from your own home state?" hhhhmmmmmm?

The answer to that is up here in North Idaho, we are a few minutes from Spokane Washington...which does not recognize Idaho's permit...REALLY?

Not trying to be antagonistic; just logical after 40 years of doing this.
Legal Question remains:

Idaho has a carry permit law.

That could get you an expensive trial and a "tell it to the judge/jury."

You might discover that "The neighboring city in the next state won't recognize an Idaho permit" is NOT a valid answer when you get to Georgia, etc.

Do YOU want to be the "test case" at your own expense $$$$$$ ??

Hey, 16 years ago it cost ME $2,000+ for the judge to say "not guilty", and then chew the arresting officer's butt out for wasting the court's time.

No hard feelings here...So I pick up an Idaho permit, too. Are you saying having a permit from Utah, good in 30 states. is not worth having, unless you have your home state's permit, too?

I posted a URL yesterday that would answer the OP question but I guess the Admin's decided it wasn't on topic or perhaps broke some rule anyway it never did show up.

I live in Kansas and to be valid to CCW in Kansas (per statute) I must have a Kansas CCW permit - only.

My Kansas CCW permit has resiprosity with "X many other" states in the US.... but so I can have additonal state CCW coverage, I also have my Florida non-resident CCW permit.

So... depending on the state I am traveling in I will show the appropiate CCW permit. If the state I am in recognizes my Kansas permit, I will show that one as it is my primary permit and matches my driver's license. If I am in a state that does not recognize my Kansas permit but does my non-resident Florida, then of course I only show that one as my Kansas permit means nothing to that state.

States add and delete their resiprosity agreements from time to time, so one has to be up to date on them before traveling (by either calling the appropiate state's permiting department or the appropiate website).

It is impossible for LEO's to always know and memorize every statute and CCW rule out there... so that is why you read and hear people printing off the various statutes and rules before they travel in case they need to refer to them (in a polite way of course) in order to reduce any "issues" that may arise from a mis-understanding... and they do happen.

The answer to that is up here in North Idaho, we are a few minutes from Spokane Washington...which does not recognize Idaho's permit...REALLY?

Simple answer is because you get better coverage with UT than with ID. :biggrin:

If your trip is in the Spring the only state you will have an "issue" with is IL....assuming WI will be out of route. IL will be the only state that doesn't accept UT....also assuming another state doesn't drop reciprocity with UT.

i would print out every states state police or CCW issuing authority office numbers and also find what the statute number is and put it all in a binder marked State Weapons laws. Then call each state to double check and make sure that you can get the persons name you spoke with, time & date stamp it. That way when and if you do get pulled over you can give the officer that information. make it as easy as possible for you to be sent on your way.

Simple answer is because you get better coverage with UT than with ID. :biggrin:

If your trip is in the Spring the only state you will have an "issue" with is IL....assuming WI will be out of route. IL will be the only state that doesn't accept UT....also assuming another state doesn't drop reciprocity with UT.

Please allow me to state for clarity of all readers that

ILLINOIS does not recognize any permit, period, and that
ILLINOIS does NOT allow any loaded weapons in the passenger compartment of any vehicle, period.

Illinois does NOT recognize the "right to protect yourself while inside your vehicle", period, even if you are an off duty police officer.
IF you get caught with a weapon in Illinois, you ARE going to jail, immediately.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back