Traveling through Illinois without Reciprocity

Steon's post covers this topic very well.

From personal experience: As a non-resident living in IL (active duty military assigned here, with a PA resident carry license), I conceal carry all the time in the car and leave it in a case (with the car locked), loaded, when I exit my vehicle. I would love to get an IL CCL but don't qualify without an IL driver's license, so I at least exercise this limited freedom for now.

Steon's post covers this topic very well.

From personal experience: As a non-resident living in IL (active duty military assigned here, with a PA resident carry license), I conceal carry all the time in the car and leave it in a case (with the car locked), loaded, when I exit my vehicle. I would love to get an IL CCL but don't qualify without an IL driver's license, so I at least exercise this limited freedom for now.

It's good to see someone that understands the law, follows only what the law requires, and doesn't add all kinds of requirements to the law that aren't actually in the statute.

If you leave your vehicle it does NOT need to be unloaded. Just needs to be in a locked case or in the glove box in a locked vehicle. That us spelled out in the new concealed carry law.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

If you leave your vehicle it does NOT need to be unloaded. Just needs to be in a locked case or in the glove box in a locked vehicle. That us spelled out in the new concealed carry law.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Correct. There are two exceptions, however:

1. As previously mentioned, but worth repeating: If you need to step out of the car with your handgun to place it in a case (such as one in your trunk), the handgun must be unloaded before exiting the car.

2. If someone else will be inside the car without you, either driving it or sitting there while you are away from the car running an errand, and that person doesn't have a carry license from his or her state of residence, make sure the handgun is unloaded and in a case before exiting. As previously stated, ammo does not need to be placed in a separate case when transporting a handgun in Illinois. To be clear: When a non-resident without a permit from their home state is in the car without a permittee present, you have now transitioned from Illinois' Firearm Concealed Carry Act (FCCA) vehicle CARRY provision to Illinois' rules regarding TRANSPORT of firearms by non-residents.

Don't spend my money or my time in IL.

While I agree and would do the same, I can not. I still have family that lives in IL and a Mother who can no longer travel. This forces me to have to travel and visit there. I know IL will never honor any other states CCL and I am torn between spending $300 for their non-resident CCL and not getting it! I do not go often to IL so I may not get it!

While I agree and would do the same, I can not. I still have family that lives in IL and a Mother who can no longer travel. This forces me to have to travel and visit there. I know IL will never honor any other states CCL and I am torn between spending $300 for their non-resident CCL and not getting it! I do not go often to IL so I may not get it!

No point in being torn since IL only allows non-residents with resident permits from HI and SC to apply. So unless you are from either state there is no choice to be made, at least for now. :(

(430 ILCS 66/40)
Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)

What if you are from a state where a permit to carry a gun is not applicable and you can carry without a permit in your home state?

What if you are from a state where a permit to carry a gun is not applicable and you can carry without a permit in your home state?

Sec 40(e)(2) says, "license or permit...if applicable." IANAL, but I interpret this to allow vehicle carry if you are a resident of a state that allows carry without a permit or license.

If I remember correctly, only 4 states allow permitless carry: VT, AZ, WY, and AK. AZ, WY, and AK will issue permits/licenses to their residents upon request, primarily to satisfy states that want to see one as a condition of reciprocity. VT doesn't issue regardless.

If I was a resident of AZ, WY, or AK I would probably apply for a permit/license from my home state to avoid confusion if questioned in another state.

It's important to note that non-resident permits do not qualify the holder for Illinois vehicle carry. So a resident of NJ, NY, MD, D.C., etc. who only holds a FL or UT non-resident permit CANNOT vehicle carry in Illinois.

In some counties and towns you could be OK because the local LEOs would be OK with you being a resident of a state such as VT. But there are to many other counties who would try to throw away the key to the cell they would put you in! I would trust most LEOs there. The counties in the Southern part of the state are for the most part pretty good but the Northern counties AND Chicago are anti gun!

I know because I was born and raised in Southern IL and then moved to work and lived in the Chicago area for many years. I still have a lot of family in IL and am torn about getting a non-resident CCL because I do not want to support that corrupt state!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back