Traveling through Illinois without Reciprocity

beartrax

I have a CCW permit in Missouri and will be traveling to the east coast with my carry weapons as I always have them in my vehicle and with me when I travel long distances - I'm a woman and travel alone. I'm retired civilian law enforcement and even my member law enforcement officers are concerning about me traveling through Illinois as they don't honor our CCW permits in their state. They advised me to get clarification from those who might have more detailed knowledge.
Other sites state "no reciprocity" which we feel I should use lock boxes to store my unloaded 9mm and 22 in and the clips as well as additional ammo separately. This site states I'm able to carry a loaded weapon in Illinois if I have a CCW permit in my vehicle only (I'm reading this as not on my person if I leave my vehicle) as I travel through the state. I'm trying to verify which is correct. Granted I don't expect to be stopped in Illinois and be searched, but in the event I am, I don't want to be detained for having a loaded weapon in my vehicle. Thanks.

As far as I know and understand, you are able to have your weapon with you on your person while driving through Illinois. If you leave your vehicle your firearm must be stowed away in a locked box.
www.handgunlaw.us

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License

NOTE: As the law states below,
“is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence. The Illinois State Police in three different emails to people that I have seen are stating that you have to have a permit/license from your “Home State.”

Handgunlaw.us highly recommends you
not vehicle carry without a valid permit/license from your state of residence while traveling in your vehicle in Illinois. The Illinois State Police also had this addressed in their FAQs but that wording has disappeared from there.
Section 40
(e)
Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1)
is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2)
is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3)
is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act

Time to do some reading

Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[8]

Under this provision, someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that the individual did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I just avoid these communist strongholds and drive around them or if I cannot drive around them I stay home. I hear too many "ghost stories" about people getting locked up. Let them have their commie laws for themselves. Problem solved (for me). As a retired civilian law enforcement officer, don't you have a permit good for every state? I heard that is what people can do if they go qualify at the police range every year.

I live in Illinois. To own a firearm we need to have a FOID (Firearm owners Identification card) . For me to transport a firearm in my car the gun needs to be unloaded and stored out of the reach of the driver. To keep it loaded and on your person here, you need an Illinois CC permit. The city of Chicago, I would avoid unless your weapon is well stored away. The rest of the state is much more gun friendly. I have lived in the suburbs of Chicago for 59 years and have never had a problem. It only takes about 3.5 hours to cross the state. You should be just fine.

This is slippery. This site gives a lot of info. A lot of great people here to help. With the 2nd amendment also remember the 4th. They can not search you without probable cause or anything they find against you can not stick.

Note: I am not saying to ignore the law and conceal carry without a proper permit.

If your an out of state resident, you should encase your firearms in a non functioning state. So just use a case that is meant for use with a firearm and ensure it is unloaded and the magazine is not in the mag well of the firearm. If you are stopped by law enforcement you are not required to tell them you have a firearm. The case must not be in a reachable distance. The case can be a soft bag with a zipper. I have my FOID card which allows me to buy ammo and legally own a firearm, I just recently obtained my CCW permit for IL. I have lived in this communist state for 25 years. You can keep your ammo and firearm in the same case. Just make sure your mag well and chamber is empty.

What are all the fears of Illinois about? You would think that Al Capone was still alive and he was targeting tourists. While there are lots of reasons to dislike Illinois, it is not any more dangerous then many other states. Unless you are pulled over by a Chicago Alderman you should make it out of the state just fine. Neither myself, my family, or anyone I know in this state has ever been a victim of any type of a violent crime . Maybe some could share a few of these incidents that have everyone so nervous.

I have a IL CCL.
The law says that out of state CC permits holders can carry in their personal vehicles following their states specific vehicle carry laws.

But if u leave ur vehicle then u better leave your pistol in it as well.

If you are seriously worried then unload pistol. Put the gun in a separate container than the ammo and both out of reach.

I work along side the state police and have yet to meet a total D'bag trooper. You won't have any problems on the highways.

There is a new IL law that stipulates that we CAN drive through with our weapons locked and loaded and on our person.

We just can not get out with our weapons loaded. If you want to store your weapon in the trunk, you have to unload your weapon. If you choose to store it in your glove box you can just lock it in the glove box still loaded.

Illinois is NOT a 'Must Notify' State, BUT if I were pulled over for some reason, and the officer were to tell me to get out of my vehicle, I for one would tell him I couldn't and inform him I had a permit to carry from my home state and I had a weapon on me which prohibited my exiting the vehicle without removing the weapon first and I didn't want to do that in his presence. Let him take it from there...

Here is the Law for you from Illinois' Website.

Read through it in it's entirety, Pay particular attention to Section 40. Make up your own mind.

But if an officer chooses to arrest me while I'm driving in Illinois... I'm right, he's wrong. It'll all be on his cruiser video.

There is a new IL law that stipulates that we CAN drive through with our weapons locked and loaded and on our person.

We just can not get out with our weapons loaded. If you want to store your weapon in the trunk, you have to unload your weapon. If you choose to store it in your glove box you can just lock it in the glove box still loaded.

Illinois is NOT a 'Must Notify' State, BUT if I were pulled over for some reason, and the officer were to tell me to get out of my vehicle, I for one would tell him I couldn't and inform him I had a permit to carry from my home state and I had a weapon on me which prohibited my exiting the vehicle without removing the weapon first and I didn't want to do that in his presence. Let him take it from there...

Here is the Law for you from Illinois' Website.

Read through it in it's entirety, Pay particular attention to Section 40. Make up your own mind.

But if an officer chooses to arrest me while I'm driving in Illinois... I'm right, he's wrong. It'll all be on his cruiser video.

Good post. I know a few guys that have printed out the ISP laws and carry them with them in case they are involved with a less then informed LEO.

(430 ILCS 66/40)
Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)

I have passed through IL several times in the past in my RV, and do have a concealed permit in my home state. I have always unloaded the firearms and secure them in cases stored away from the cockpit. I try to take the shortest route that avoids the Chicago area. With IL now having a concealed carry law, it sounds like we do now have a little better option when passing through the state. But I believe I would still not have a handgun on my person ...within reach of the driver seat would be my choice. Knowing me, it would be highly likely if I stopped for fuel or to walk the dogs that I would forget to disarm before I stepped outside.

Sent from my AT100 using USA Carry mobile app

I live in Utah and have my Utah CFP. Later this year we plan on being in Illinois for about 3 days. I am hoping that the 2 lockable gun boxes (one for the firearm and one for the ammo) that I have will be sufficient to satisfy Illinois laws. Does anyone know if having the firearm locked inside a gun box in the vehicle with you violate any Illinois laws? Or does it need to be kept in the trunk?

No. If you have a CC license from your state. You are allowed to carry loaded and holstered on your body, as long as you stay in your vehicle.
If you get out of your vehicle then you must leave it in a container unloaded and separated from the ammo in your vehicle.

A container does not mean it needs to be a lockable safe.
A plastic grocery bag could be considered a container.

Containers don't really need to be out of reach since you are allowed to CC in your vehicle.

So Acasper708…if I get out of my vehicle and leave my gun unloaded in a container (plastic bag or lockable safe) inside the vehicle, the loaded magazine needs to be kept away from the gun in a separate container or in the trunk?

Technically the ammo just needs to be in a separate container.
My truck has 2 glove boxes and for a while I kept my pistol in one and a loaded mag in the other.
But now that I have the CC then I don't need to worry.

But if you want to be worry free of getting in trouble. Then the best thing would be to keep the pistol in the trunk and ammo in the cabin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back