Traveling state to state with a hand gun

hickoryou812

I am not a gun owner at the moment. But I plan on purchasing a fire arm to protect me and my children as we go on vacation from Indiana to California while stopping at the sites along the way. Can I do this legally?

I'm pretty certain that handgun will have to be unloaded and locked up and secure in your locked trunk. The ammo, I believe, will have to be somewhere other than the trunk.

I could be wrong. Check the state laws you are traveling through.

I suspect you haven't, but if you have obtained your conceal carry license through your state, you can check reciprocity carry laws on Link Removed. Kalifornia and Illinois will not honor CCLs from Indiana, for instance.

USA CARRY has part of this site dedicated to state laws and the reciprocity of gun permits between the states. Check this first as I have found the information on this site to be very accurate. The administrators of this site do a very good job and continually update it as information comes available. Each state has different laws so it would depend on your route and which states you pass through. It is my understanding that Indiana permits are easy to get and are accepted by quite a number of states. Florida non-resident permits are widely accepted also and can be obtained through the mail. I believe that under federal law you are able to bring your guns with you if they are unloaded and basically out of reach or locked up. Also the gun must be legal to possess at your final destination. As always it is a good idea to consult with a knowledgable lawyer. Whatever gun you get do get some training on how to use it the right and legal and safe way. welcome to the site from eastern washington state.

Congratulations!

I am not a gun owner at the moment. But I plan on purchasing a fire arm to protect me and my children as we go on vacation from Indiana to California while stopping at the sites along the way. Can I do this legally?

There is alot of information on this site as well as other places to assist with these questions. Congratulations on taking the leap to gun ownership. If I can say just one word it would be "TRAINING". If you have a question ask it! There is no such thing as a dumb question! If you go somewhere where you feel this way take your buisness elsewhere! Good Luck!

I suspect you haven't, but if you have obtained your conceal carry license through your state, you can check reciprocity carry laws on Link Removed. Kalifornia and Illinois will not honor CCLs from Indiana, for instance.

Neither will KS, NE or NV. Get the AZ permit along with IN and that will take care of KS and NE.

You can start by taking a look at the Link Removed trip planner. But then follow up on the link Mr.357Sig provided or the state laws info on this site. On the surface Pack-N-Go looks like a good resource, and I thought it was, until I plugged in Maryland once on a whim and saw how they glossed over the difficulties non-residents have carrying weapons through that state. Pack-N-Go should have flashing lights and plenty of additional clarifying notes when Maryland is selected. Heck, I live next door and try hard to never venture over there unless absolutely necessary.

The only problem I can see is when you get to California. You gun will have to be on their allowed guns to have in their state. Your magazine for the gun you are carrying can only be a 10 round magazine. If you bring a magazine over ten rounds with you to California you will be braking their law on having a Hi cap magazine. At they time I did not know this and hoped that taking my magazine apart and storing them in separate storage bags would keep me safe till I could take it back.So while I consider myself a law abiding citizen I was braking California's law on owning a Hi cap magazine or parts to make a Hi cap magazine.

Thank you

I appreciate all the help. I will look into what my travel route will be and see what states I will be going through and others around it in case I need to detour for whatever reasons. I want to be totally legal but want to be safe.
I was told of a hand gun that is considered a Belly Gun? Small enough to where if I was being robbed i could reach in my back pocket acting like I was getting my wallet and it would be thin enough to look like a wallet but obviously not. I believe "38" was mentioned with this hand gun.
Can anybody give me some idea as to what would be best to protect us yet not be a cannon. Just looking to stop any potential dangers from us during our trip. I will also get some training on the firearm of choice as I shot a weapon in the military but only during boot camp. So to say I am green is an understatement. I appreciate all the responses and will look into what you all have suggested. thank you very much!

Beretta 22 Bobcat, Utube it and it shows u how 2 make a holster that looks like a wallet and fires in the wallet. i made one 4 my self and never go anywhere without it,i carry it in my right front pocket but u can carry it in your back pocket, i also pack a S.F 45auto m-1911 on my side, i'm a 2 gunner,Just in case,i live in utah and have a cwp.Anyway love the Beretta,Can't wait 4 some one 2 demand my wallet from me at knife point or even gun point! 7 in the lungs real fast!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back