Traveling on a motorcycle

Michelobe

Hello, I've been lurking for months on this site reading lots of good info. I've run into a question that I can't find an answer for. I'll be traveling from MO to PA through the dreaded IL. Now the ideal would be to fill up in MO and not stop until I'm in IN. The problem I have is I only get about 150 until reserve and it's 157 miles to get from one side to the other. Reserve buys me a few miles but I won't risk it so I have to stop. I've read lots of posts on passing through IL. If you have to leave the vehicle remove your firearm exit the vehicle then and lock it up before getting out of the vehicle. That's not an option for me, anyone have any ideas?

Bill

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Q. How may I safely and legally transport ammunition in a vehicle?

A. The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded
magazines, is not regulated as long as the firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the
firearm/ammunition holds a valid F.O.I.D. card.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Q. How may I safely and legally transport ammunition in a vehicle?

A. The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded
magazines, is not regulated as long as the firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the
firearm/ammunition holds a valid F.O.I.D. card.

That information is incorrect.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Section 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Nothing in there about the gun being unloaded.

I have leather saddle bags so all they have is straps to hold them close, no locks. I guess as long as I don't need to take a bathroom break I can just leave them in the bags when I stand beside it pumping gas. I can carry in all the other states. I'll have my XDM on my hip and I can drop the XDS in my pocket when I have to leave the bike unattended.

Illinois... I feel for ya... I was a traveling pipefitter and decided to leave it at home when I stayed in that state. I was on the scoot (leather bags only). Good thing I did as my bags actually got ransacked once! It is a shame that law abiding citizen's are oppressed yet the gangsters run rampant huh!? If I had to do it again, I may just keep it in my holster, and deal with it.
Hey, on another note.. I am planning a short bike trip with my son on my newer one. I have hard bags on my old un, so at least they lock if needed. But... I just found out my license is a "target/hunting" 20.00 license. I guess there is a better universal one? (Indiana). I wonder how bad it'd be if it "comes up" on the road, out of state?, out of town? dan

That information is incorrect.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Nothing in there about the gun being unloaded.

Beat me to it... I think (never researched because I'm not a resident!) the info was correct for residents, but definitely doesn't apply in this case.

I do remember reading on the Illinois police website FAQ that it does need to be unloaded, but I never saw it in the law. I did unload when I drove through there, though... if it's on the police website you can bet all the cops think it's illegal to keep it loaded and I didn't want a hassle, just in case.

I have leather saddle bags so all they have is straps to hold them close, no locks. I guess as long as I don't need to take a bathroom break I can just leave them in the bags when I stand beside it pumping gas. I can carry in all the other states. I'll have my XDM on my hip and I can drop the XDS in my pocket when I have to leave the bike unattended.

I have leather bags as well. I have a small nano-vault which has a cable that can be routed out of the saddlebag and attach to the frame somewhere. Its not high security, but will prevent a quick snatch and grab. It should also meet the requirement that the unloaded pistol be secured within a case under FOPA. Finally, if you stop at a hotel, it's easy enough to disconnect and take it into your room for the night. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the help. The nano-vault might work if I strap a bag to the back seat for more room. Taking enough stuff for seven days and 2 guns and ammo in two saddle bags is probably pushing it anyway. If I strap a bag to my back seat with clothes I can put the vault in the saddle bags. Thanks again for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back