Traveling from NY (LGA) to Savannah (SAV), best way to transport firearms?

jamharri

I am planning to travel from my home in Suffolk County, New York (Long Island) to Savannah, Georgia this coming August. While my license is a New York State Pistol License, Sportsman, the draconian laws of New York City prevent me from transporting my firearms anywhere within the city. My friend suggested having my firearms shipped by my local gun shop FFL to his gun shop FFL in Savannah, then simply reversing the process for the return trip. Any comments, cautions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wouldn't the Federal FOPA regulations give you protection even in NYC? I would contact the State Police as well as possibly the NYC District Attorney (in writing) about how to legally transport your weapons through NYC. I would think that having your unloaded firearms in a locked case, with ammo in another locked case (which meets FOPA requirements) should also apply to NYC.... but then again, I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. Good luck.

The interstate transport provisions in federal law only operate as an affirmative defense. That means you can only use them as a defense in court after the fact. They don't prevent you from being arrested, charged or put in jail, and they don't prevent you from having to spend an exorbitant amount of money on legal expenditures. New York City is well aware of this.

While the uninterrupted travel from anywhere to anywhere you're licensed to have the gun is lawful, NYC police will arrest you anyway. Ship it or use another airport. We use Stewart, just north of NYC. Traveling with a gun is very easy there.

What type of gun do you want to take to GA? Your New York permit is not good in GA to carry a handgun. If you ship handguns to an FFL in GA they will not be able to transfer them to you until you establish residency in GA and obtain sufficient documentation to prove it.

What type of gun do you want to take to GA? Your New York permit is not good in GA to carry a handgun. If you ship handguns to an FFL in GA they will not be able to transfer them to you until you establish residency in GA and obtain sufficient documentation to prove it.

while he cannot carry his weapons concealed he is legally permitted to possess the weapons in GA.

I also have a Suffolk f1 permit along with a FL ccw. I travel to my second home in FL often. I fly Southwest Airlines. My weapons are declared when I check in by the SCPD. I have them in a locked box. Failure to notify the airline about this can be punishable by a $10 k fine!The weapons are in my regular luggage in the belly of the plane.

I also have a Suffolk f1 permit along with a FL ccw. I travel to my second home in FL often. I fly Southwest Airlines. My weapons are declared when I check in by the SCPD. I have them in a locked box. Failure to notify the airline about this can be punishable by a $10 k fine!The weapons are in my regular luggage in the belly of the plane.

Please provide more details to make this a more useful post. Out of which airport do you fly out of? The OP's problem was that he can't legally take his firearm into NYC to fly out of LGA. Is there a procedure with SCPD that would allow one to do that? Does an "f1 permit" allow one to do that? Note the OP was in 2014, i.e., 2 years ago. Laws may have changed since then too.

First you need to define what your "sportsman" pistol permits grants you in NY. Doesn't sound like it is a "carry" permit, but at some level a "transport" permit within NY with serious restrictions.

After all, as I understand it you can't even fondle a gun in a gun store without some kind of NY gun permit in the first place.

That would be Long Islands MacArther airport Islip NY.

I am not sure about the NY airports such as JFK & LaG
Please provide more details to make this a more useful post. Out of which airport do you fly out of? The OP's problem was that he can't legally take his firearm into NYC to fly out of LGA. Is there a procedure with SCPD that would allow one to do that? Does an "f1 permit" allow one to do that? Note the OP was in 2014, i.e., 2 years ago. Laws may have changed since then too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back