Travel concerns... please help

harleyhunter

Hey everyone, I live in NY and have a house in SC that I visit twice a year. I have a NY sportsman resident pistol permit. I am wondering how I can legally drive from NY to SC with my pistol in my car unloaded and locked away from ammo so I can shoot with family at my SC house. I never enter NYC or DC. I travel I287 to I78 to I81 to I77 to I20 incase that helps. I never traveled with my firearm cause always scared to get in trouble if I were ever stopped.

I believe you are fine in transit especially with the 2 cities you mentioned that you avoid. You are allowed to have it in the trunk, unloaded, blah blah. Just be careful about magazine size and particular states. If for example, you have a 30 round clip and you travel through NJ, it's a felony. If it's 15 or less, you should be OK.

One other thought is to get your CCW from Florida and/or other states. While they may restrict you in some areas, it makes traveling a lot smoother should you get pulled over and that state has reciprocity.

Get a South Carolina Non-Resident Permit and you will be legal traveling from NY to SC. FOPA law allows travel from one place where you are legal to another place you are legal just follow the rules on where the firearm is located in the vehicle

I don't think SC issues non resident permits but because you're a property owner in SC that MAY allow you to get an SC permit. Check with SC SLED.

with my pistol in my car unloaded and locked away from ammo so I can shoot with family at my SC house.
Both the unloaded firearm and the ammo must be separated from the occupants of the vehicle, but the unloaded gun is not required to be separated from the ammo. Lock the unloaded gun, magazines, and ammo in a case as far away from the occupants of the vehicle as possible, drive careful, keep your mouth shut if you are stopped by LEO and NEVER consent to a search of the locked case and you will be perfectly legal. I would use a combination lock on the case so they can't just "seize" the key from you. Google FOPA, 18 USC 926A or Title 18 Chapter 44.

Yes, you can get a non-resident permit in SC since you own a house in SC. You must own property in SC to get a non-resident permit.

Yes, you can get a non-resident permit in SC since you own a house in SC. You must own property in SC to get a non-resident permit.

Yes my wife and I own property there and we both are going for our non resident permit. But even though I'm getting my permit there if I didnt can I still bring my pistol there?

Get a South Carolina Non-Resident Permit and you will be legal traveling from NY to SC. FOPA law allows travel from one place where you are legal to another place you are legal just follow the rules on where the firearm is located in the vehicle

FWIW: SC only issues Non Resident permits to people who own property in SC
all the OP needs to do is follow the FOPA laws and then read up on SC law regarding possession of the weapon. unlike the tyrannical states up north you can have possession of a gun without having to register the gun

FL CCW and some other states are NOT a catch all. FL CCW doesn't even cover PA anymore. It's a suggestion. SC does require you to own property for a CCW. You are still legal to travel with it assuming you avoid DC & NYC. Oh and Go with NAVY's post above.

We travel frequently from upstate NY to Fla by car. Have FL non-resident permit, which makes carry easier in most states, however there are a few states that do not recognize either. Federal statute provides for legal transport through states which do not recognize your permit(s), as long as you are legal in your home state and they are securely transported.
You have to decide if you want to stop...unload...lock pistol and ammo in separate containers where not permitted...then stop...reload....continue to carry where permitted.... this becomes a hassle, especially now that PA does not honor FL non-res permit. If weather was good through the Appalachians, we had no problem most of the way, taking a route through PA, WV, etc. But, if weather is bad in Western PA and better to the east, we would head toward Harrisburg then south. So we could carry to the Maryland border but had to get out, lock them up separate from ammo, drive approx. 10 minutes, leave MD, get them out... travel to SC border...get out...lock them up...you get the picture. Now, we have to lock them up at PA border until we leave MD and can carry until the SC border.

Basically, you need to measure your risk of running into BG or uninformed LEO versus the hassle of unloading/reloading.
Additionally, you have to make sure you are in compliance with each state's regulations as well....Must Inform...carry in restaurant/bar...Do "no weapons" signs carry power of law?...etc...etc...etc. Better have copies of regs for each state you pass through with you (ie. handgunlaw US), which give good synopsis of each state's laws because, unless you have a photographic memory, you can't remember all of them....plus, don't expect each LEO to know their own handgun laws. They may just "arrest now" and "Read law later"!
We've found that other than stopping a couple times for gas, it's a toss-up on whether we simply lock them up for the entire trip or do the stop/start thing. We take time of day, which route we're traveling(plus weather) into account when deciding to carry or lock.

Either way, we do take them into the hotel if we stop overnight (and load them), and figure if someone breaks into the car, they can have my clothes, but they can't have my guns.

Thanks for all the great info. For now I plan on keeping them locked up separate from the ammo while traveling just for less hassle.

Hey everyone, I live in NY and have a house in SC that I visit twice a year. I have a NY sportsman resident pistol permit. I am wondering how I can legally drive from NY to SC with my pistol in my car unloaded and locked away from ammo so I can shoot with family at my SC house. I never enter NYC or DC. I travel I287 to I78 to I81 to I77 to I20 incase that helps. I never traveled with my firearm cause always scared to get in trouble if I were ever stopped.
As a current SC resident and witness of all the unconstitutional laws being passed in your state, my advice would be to pack everything you've got and never return.

As far as New Jersey , besides the mags remember that having hollow points will also get you locked up.

Thanks for all the great info. For now I plan on keeping them locked up separate from the ammo while traveling just for less hassle.

Interesting....it seems like it would be less hassle just to have everything in one case, but maybe that is just me. Remember, that in order to comply with FOPA, the ammo must be separated from the occupants of the vehicle by a lock, and a glove box or center console does not qualify. So, you can have the gun in the trunk, and if the ammo is in the glove box you are not in compliance with FOPA and, therefore, cannot benefit from it's protection.

As far as New Jersey , besides the mags remember that having hollow points will also get you locked up.
So the Geneva Convention applies there too? Really? What the hell are they thinking? I guess they'd rather the bullet have a higher chance of passing through thus posing the probability that it might strike another giving them more fuel for their anti-gun fire.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back