Transporting Firearms & Ammunition.

old salt

I think I have this covered but just wanted to get the members of US Carry impute. First let me mention that I currently have a resident South Carolina and non-resident New Hampshire concealed carry permit so I will be able to carry through all the states I‘ll be traveling. My wife and I are relocating back to our home town in Erie PA from South Carolina. I will be transporting 5 handguns and two shotguns along with approximately 1,500 rounds of ammunition in my vehicle. All firearms will be unloaded (except for the PM9 on my hip) and in their original boxes. All ammunition will be separated from firearms and inaccessible, in cardboard boxes and taped shut. Anything I’m missing?

Well, 18 USC 926(a) requires that either the firearms or ammunition be locked. Also, most of the states you'll be traveling through are pretty good about transporting firearms as long as you do what you're planning. The exceptions are Maryland and the District of Columbia. Assuming you're going up I-95 I'd contact each and make sure you get the name of the person you talk to just to be safe.

Well, 18 USC 926(a) requires that either the firearms or ammunition be locked. Also, most of the states you'll be traveling through are pretty good about transporting firearms as long as you do what you're planning. The exceptions are Maryland and the District of Columbia. Assuming you're going up I-95 I'd contact each and make sure you get the name of the person you talk to just to be safe.

Thank you, staying away from Maryland and DC going North on I-77 and I-79.

I go through MD and sometimes DC to go to PA(East Berlin) 2 times a year to visit in-laws. Put all guns(including PM 9) unloaded and locked in trunk or thereabouts. On arrival, get a PA permit! Safe journey.

Thank you, staying away from Maryland and DC going North on I-77 and I-79.
I don't know what shape I-77 is in right now but they finally paved I-77 northbound thru Beckely, WV last year. What a difference.

And as long as you don't speed or anything, you shouldn't have too many worries traveling. Your SC permit covers you along the way except for PA. There your NH permit covers you until you get your PA permit.

I don't know what shape I-77 is in right now but they finally paved I-77 northbound thru Beckely, WV last year. What a difference.

And as long as you don't speed or anything, you shouldn't have too many worries traveling. Your SC permit covers you along the way except for PA. There your NH permit covers you until you get your PA permit.

Yes, PA permit is on my list to do, my son is a City Police officer in the town we are moving to.

Well, 18 USC 926(a) requires that either the firearms or ammunition be locked.

18 USC 926A requires that neither the firearm nor any ammunition is directly accessible. The neither/nor language means that both the ammunition and the firearm must be locked up.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

18 USC 926A requires that neither the firearm nor any ammunition is directly accessible. The neither/nor language means that both the ammunition and the firearm must be locked up.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

The OR comes into play in the case of a pickup or SUV.

That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

However, the OR means if one is transporting a firearm OR ammunition - whichever is applicable.....

Just because a vehicle does not have a trunk or exterior compartment does NOT invalidate or exempt the requirement of:

during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible

BOTH the ammunition AND the firearm must NOT be readily accessible.

Let's further analyze this:

According to your interpretation, if the vehicle has a trunk compartment, both the unloaded gun AND the ammo must be locked in the trunk. However, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, then either the ammo OR the unloaded gun must be locked up. So, I can have an unloaded gun sitting on my lap, so long as I am in a van and I have a box of ammo that is in a locked container? What if I don't have a box of ammo with me, then do I have to lock the gun up in a van?

You also have to be careful with cars that have fold-down rear seats/ski pass-throughs or hatchbacks with interior hatch covers that can be flipped up... Those *do* allow access and could get you by surprise. You think you're safe with the stuff unlocked in the trunk until the cop points out that the rear seats are just a push-button away from flipping down. No better than putting it in the glove compartment...

Play it safe, keep everything that you're not lawfully CCWing locked up AND in the trunk (if possible) while traveling!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back