Transport of Firearms to range

Dan13

Quick question what is the best way to transport your pistol to the range for practice when you drive a pickup and don't yet have a concealed carry permit?

Depending where you are, your vehicle is an extension of your home, so you can freely carry in your vehicle when it's under your control. This is the law in Texas, NOT the case in Ohio.

2923.16(C)
No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

So either put it in a case (unloaded) or if you have a truck box in the back, secure it in there.

FYI, unloaded in Ohio means that you cannot have a loaded magazine in the same container as the handgun while in your vehicle. Obviously you cannot have a loaded mag in the gun either :)

Quick question what is the best way to transport your pistol to the range for practice when you drive a pickup and don't yet have a concealed carry permit?

My wife and I use simple range bags and store them in the rear of the SUV/car, but we each have a CC permit. Prior to that, I used to transport them in an aluminum case that locked with a key. A combination lock case works too. I think I picked it up at Lowes or something...

From the Attorney General of NC "Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee’s accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is unlawful to transport a weapon (absent a proper permit) that is BOTH concealed and readily accessible to a person. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile."

The key is "it becomes a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle"...Check the General Statutes of the state you live in regarding transportation of firearms and ammo. Some states don't allow it. Most have the Statutes available online.

http://www.ebags.com/product/solo/aluminum-17-laptop-attache/135108?productid=1350485&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=55583734&gclid=COTB1cDIhboCFY6Z4AodekIAfg&kwid=productads-plaid^29665635618-sku^1350485-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^26970762738

Just go online and check the laws.yourself. different states.different laws. I like looking the laws.up because I usually find other information in the process.

Have my CCW, so if I bring more than what's on me already, I keep things in range or rifle bags in the trunk.

Wisconsin now allows a loaded handgun in the vehicle as long as it's not concealed. Open carry laws.

Thank all of you for your replies, I need to transport the firearms in question about 20 miles to the nearest range which belongs to the state of Ohio. I have already purchased the range permit, just don't want to run into trouble going there and coming home. I plan on working on my CCW as soon as possible.

wolf_fire-Thank you for the link to Lawriter that is what I needed to know.

Steve Kittel- Thank you for your Link after see the attache in the link I believe that I could use the Samsonite Attache that I have and lock the gun in it's cloth case in it and be legal. (I Hope)

I've got a pelican case that I've customized the foam inside to carry 5 handguns and extra mags. I use this to carry my guns to the range. Of course I always have my EDC on my person, but if that's not an option for you yet, a range bag or gun case is a good way to go. Follow all your states laws regarding firearms in vehicles and you'll be fine.

Thank all of you for your replies, I need to transport the firearms in question about 20 miles to the nearest range which belongs to the state of Ohio. I have already purchased the range permit, just don't want to run into trouble going there and coming home. I plan on working on my CCW as soon as possible.

I don't know what is required for an Ohio CC permit but the Texas shooting requirements were all but a joke. The CC permit is mainly for self defense so the distances are short and the targets are human torso size. Add to that that we only had to score 70 or 75% and that makes for an very simple shooting exercise. I would not worry too much about practicing with the firearm to pass the test. You can spend time at home with an unloaded firearm getting familiar with the gun then go take the class and/or test. After you have the CC permit you can easily carry the gun to the range without worrying about how to transport the gun. I would get the permit as quickly as possible then get plenty of range time.

Last time I qualified was in 1972 as a rent -a-cop with a score of 97 out of 100, but that was a lot of years ago.

Depends entirely on your state laws. What is legal on one state isn't in others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using USA Carry mobile app

Paul_of_TX - What you say about the CC requirements may well be true, but when you have a brand new gun that has yet to be fired, I don't know about you but I'd like to know that it fires and How it handles before I went to a class and made an ass of myself with a gun that might not shoot or that there may be something else wrong with it I don't like to go into anything blind I try to find out as much as I can before I get myself in a bunch of trouble, just like to be on the cautious side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back