Transport Info

DickB

Hi;
I have a Florida resident carry permit and non-resident permits in NH and ME. I will be driving to Boston where I have an appointment to complete my non-resident interview for that state. In looking at different NRA information it appears that I cannot or better put should not transport a handgun, even under the federal guidelines through NJ and NY. I have done so before but am not unsure as I don't need the obvious problems.

Any advice from NJ & NY residents is wecomed.

Dick

Here is the deal... If you follow the Federal laws to the "T", you cannot be convicted for possession of an illegal firearm. Where the issues lie are weather or not you are willing to put up with any kind of harassment and legal fees should a rogue cop decide to give you a hard time.

Perhaps the most important piece of advice I can give is DON"T get pulled over in the first place. And if you do get pulled over, DO NOT offer the information that you are transporting a firearm.

Again, follow the federal law to the "T". Firearm unloaded, cased, in the trunk (if your car has a trunk), separate from ammo. DO NOT stop in either of those states except for fuel or to use a restroom.

In fact, I would suggest to you that you come up I-81 to Scranton PA, and then I-84 all the way to the MassPike. (I'll let you figure out how you wish to get to I-81). This will keep you out of NJ altogether, and it is only 73 miles across NY. So you can gas up, take a leak, and grab a bite to eat in PA, and cross NY without stopping at all. Plus the traffic and scenery are much more pleasant.

non east coast resident here. Thank God.
From what I read you about to enter a liberaltard-dom.
No hollow points. NJ hates hollow points.
Lock bullets in one container.
Magazines, lock them in another container.
Your pistols. Take the slide off.
Lock them in a 3rd container.
Printed travel plans hotel reservations etc.
Avoid NYC.
Put all firearm related stuff in the trunk. open with key only if you have that feature.
If you are stopped. Don't lie. If the cops ask if you have firearms.
If they ask to search your car say no. Lock your car doors.
Be freindly, tell them where you are going, show travel plans.
Don't provide to much info. Remember the police are not your friend. Don't let them BS you. You may never see your guns again.
Why do you think police have the best firearms?
Keep your car keys on you.

Have a wonderful trip.

non east coast resident here. Thank God.
From what I read you about to enter a liberaltard-dom.
No hollow points. NJ hates hollow points.
Lock bullets in one container.
Magazines, lock them in another container.
Your pistols. Take the slide off.
Lock them in a 3rd container.
Printed travel plans hotel reservations etc.
Avoid NYC.

Put all firearm related stuff in the trunk. open with key only if you have that feature.
If you are stopped. Don't lie. If the cops ask if you have firearms.
If they ask to search your car say no. Lock your car doors.
Be freindly, tell them where you are going, show travel plans.
Don't provide to much info. Remember the police are not your friend. Don't let them BS you. You may never see your guns again.
Why do you think police have the best firearms?
Keep your car keys on you.

Have a wonderful trip.
All of the highlighted goes above and beyond the requirements of the federal provisions. They would be acceptable, but are not necessary. And it would not be likely that these extensive precautions would mean much to a rogue officer.

Travel Info

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it's the inland route or at the very least the Tappan Zee.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it's the inland route or at the very least the Tappan Zee.
No prob. I really do highly recommend 81 to 84. It may be roughly an extra 25 miles more than 78 to 287 to 684, but I opt for it every time I run up toward Boston (somewhat regularly). Like I said, less traffic, no NJ, 12 MD miles on I-81 vs. about 80 or 90 MD miles going up I-95, I'm pretty sure the Newberg-Beacon Bridge is slightly cheaper than the Tap, did I mention that there is no NJ:biggrin:?

Either way, enjoy your trip, and don't forget to follow those Federal laws perfectly when you're in MD and NY.

UT, yes I went a little overboard. You are correct about the rogue cop. No telling what they will do. I was not aware that the state of MD was considered a "gun grabber".
Around 20 years ago I was pulled over for a light violation in the state of IL. I was wearing a cammo ball cap, tye died t shirt, and cut off jeans. I had a beard at the time also.
The trooper asked me at least four times if I had a firearm or drugs in the trunk. Had me exit. He frisked me for weapons/ drugs, which turned up negative. I didn't have either and told him so. He was a real jerk off, and I was offended by his conduct. He asked to search the vehicle and I refused. He went into a big deal about bringing out the dog, and scanning for drugs, and how bad it would go for me if I didn't consent to the search. I stood my ground. I am not cuffed, but placed in his back seat. It must of been half an hour before another trooper pulls up. This one had to be a supervisor, as he was much older. He asks me my travel plans, what I did for a living, and a couple of other things. Hands me a warning ticket about the license plate light, and wishes me a good evening.
If I had a firearm in the trunk following federal rules, and had told the officer that fact, I had a feeling he would of done a search regardless of my desires, or rights. Further, my firearm would belong to the cops, and I would have to jump though hoops in an out of state court system to protect myself from getting a criminal record.
It can get ugly away from your home turf.

I wouldn't worry about traveling through NY and/or NJ. Your concern should be MA. It appears that you will not be simply traveling through the state but that it will be your destination and you are not yet licensed there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back