transfers to family in different states

shadowbhindyou

ok heres a tricky question. i live in nevada, my son is a resident of illinois, but currently going to school in kentucky. i want to get him a gun for his 19th birthday, so how do i go about doing that? illinois law says he needs to be 21 to purchase i believe, kentucky and nevada are 18.

ok heres a tricky question. i live in nevada, my son is a resident of illinois, but currently going to school in kentucky. i want to get him a gun for his 19th birthday, so how do i go about doing that? illinois law says he needs to be 21 to purchase i believe, kentucky and nevada are 18.

Legally, you can't, because it is prohibited by Federal law, 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5) to transfer any firearm in any manner (except loan and by inheritance when someone dies) to any person who is a resident of a different state without going through an FFL. It's against 18 USC (b) for an FFL to transfer a handgun to a person under 21 years old.

What you can legally do is temporarily loan him the gun for sporting purposes.

Link Removed

Well, actually, you said gun. I assumed handgun. If he can prove KY residence (which he is while going to school there), to the satisfaction of a KY FFL, you could ship a rifle/shotgun to a KY FFL for permanent transfer to him.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back