Training Requirement

logspec12

I believe that state law used to say that if you were a member of the military you weren't required to have a school certificate to get your permit. Is this still the case or does everyone now have to have a school certificate in order to get the permit? Thanks.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

That is for Virginia, where your location is listed in your profile. Are you asking about Tennessee?

TN law:

39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(e) The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. Any form created by the department to show proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course shall not require the applicant to provide the applicant's social security number. Any instructor of a department approved handgun safety course shall not withhold proof of the successful completion of the course solely on the fact the applicant did not disclose the applicant's social security number. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. Beginning September 1, 2010, and thereafter, a component of the classroom portion of all department-approved handgun safety courses shall be instruction on alcohol and drugs, the effects of those substances on a person's reflexes, judgment and ability to safely handle a firearm, and the provisions of § 39-17-1321. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(4) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

Yes I was asking about Tennessee. I have my permit in Virginia. Not sure what proof Tennessee needs since the Navy only uses a form to show what I scored. I do have my pistol expert ribbon however I'm sure that doesn't count for much.

Yes I was asking about Tennessee. I have my permit in Virginia. Not sure what proof Tennessee needs since the Navy only uses a form to show what I scored. I do have my pistol expert ribbon however I'm sure that doesn't count for much.

Look on Navy Knowledge Online, there should be a pistol training course on there, you can print that certificate out and your score sheet and that might be enough. Also look on FLTMPS (or have your division officer look on FLTMPS) - there is probably a record of pistol qualification in FLTMPS.

Link Removed

How Do I Obtain Military Training Exception for the eight hour handgun training course required by TCA 39-17-1351?

The Department of Safety and Homeland Security is mandated to require applicants to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. An applicant is not required to comply with the firing range and classroom requirements if within five (5) years from the date of handgun carry permit application the applicant successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

There have been many interpretations of this statute over the last several years. Letters have been submitted from commanding officers, DD-214 forms, military ID cards, Honorable Discharges and General Discharges as verification of training.

On March 4, 2011 this process was clarified with the standardized usage of the Department of Defense form (DD-2586) to document handgun training of not less than four (4) hours. At that time we were informed that all branches of service completed a standard verification of military experience and training on the DD-2586.

On December 8, 2012 the Department was informed of two forms used by the Army which capture combat pistol training (DA-88-R and DA5704-R). These forms can now be used to verify military handgun training.

On March 13, 2013 the Department was informed of a form used by the Air Force to capture the results of small arms qualification training (AF Form 522). This form can now be used to verify military handgun training.

The CG-3029, DD-2586, DA-88-R, DA-5704-R and AF-522 are the only documents acceptable for obtaining military exception to TCA 39-17-1351. Samples of all documents and instructions are available on this website.

DD-2586
VMET instructions
CG-3029
CG-3029 instructions
DA-88-R
DA-88-R Instructions
DA-5704-R
AF-522

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads