Total Hip Replacements

nogods

I just got home from the hospital after undergoing a total hip replacement on my right side. The left side was done in June, just 90-days ago. I'm writing this to encourage any fellow forum members who are suffering from hip arthritis to get the replacement (or as in my case the "replacements"). I was at the breaking point 2 years ago but like many others I put it off out of anxiety about the disruption it would cause in my life.

5 minutes after waking from the first one I knew I had made the right choice because the persistent and unrelenting referred pain I was suffering in my left knee from the degenerated hip was gone completely along with the groin pains. Yes, there was surgical pain to deal with, but unlike the pain from the arthritic hips, the surgical pain was controllable with painkillers and all but gone within a week of surgery. I was back to driving a car by week 2, taking three daily 1-mile walks by week 3, ridding a recumbent trike as far as cared to do so by week 4, and hiking off-trail 4 to 5 miles once a week by week 6. By the time I went in for my second hip at week 12, the first surgery was 99% healed.

The second operation has been a bit more rough because they had to do more manipulation of my leg and torso this time due to the additional muscle I had acquired from all the post-op rehab I did after the first surgery. (I had a lot of atrophy leading up to my first surgery because I was unable to exercise for about a year before the surgery). The additional manipulation has caused a little more swelling that will take an extra week to 10 days to resolve. Once the swelling is gone, the additional muscles I had built up will take over and speed up recovery. So I should be back in the woods in time for big game shotgun season, although I think I am only going to do tracking this year (I'm a licensed leashed dog tracker in NYS.)

If you are a candidate for hip replacement my advice (just like the advice I got but ignored) would be don't put it off. One hip takes only 3 months to fully recovery, two hips done in sequence like mine takes only 6 months to fully recover. Some doctors will even do both hips at once if a patient needs both done and the circumstances allow for it, thereby reducing the total recovery for both if done in sequence by 2 to 3 months. I was able to return to 90% of my activities within 1 month after the first surgery.

But in any event, your quality of life will be greatly improved and you'll curse yourself for not having it done sooner.

Great report...and, glad to hear you're doing so well.

HOWEVER, I need you to go have your knees done....rebuilt or new knees
are what this old gummer is unfortunately looking forward to,
and your great write-up could be greatly encouraging & appreciated!

Oh, yeah and maybe you could get ya an ankle replaced or rebuilt ... maybe both.

Getting old 'gracefully' (after 60 years+ of abusive activities) is proving to be painful, &
soon me thinks, its gonna get expensive...

I am on the verge of having hip replacement surgery on my right hip. I had my left knee replaced ten years ago and favored the left leg to the detriment of my right hip. I also had back surgery for spinal stenosis which hasn't helped either. I can hardly stand up long enough to shave without being in terrible pain and walking any distance is definitely out. I have a pacemaker which prohibits an MRI and the surgeon is hesitant to operate without one. I eat pain killers like popcorn but that doesn't help much so I am now looking for a surgeon who will replace my hip without the MRI. After all, what did they do before MRIs? nogods, I am glad your surgery went well and hope it heals quickly!

I wholeheartely agree.. painful, yes, worth it. Yet. I had total knee and boy what an ordeal it was. However, prior to the replacement my life was miserable and would have only gotten worse. I was to the point that a wheelchair would have been next. So, if you are miserable in pain, get er done!!

I am on the verge of having hip replacement surgery on my right hip. I had my left knee replaced ten years ago and favored the left leg to the detriment of my right hip. I also had back surgery for spinal stenosis which hasn't helped either. I can hardly stand up long enough to shave without being in terrible pain and walking any distance is definitely out. I have a pacemaker which prohibits an MRI and the surgeon is hesitant to operate without one. I eat pain killers like popcorn but that doesn't help much so I am now looking for a surgeon who will replace my hip without the MRI. After all, what did they do before MRIs? nogods, I am glad your surgery went well and hop it heals quickly!

I'm sorry to hear of all your issues. I'm lucky that I only needed hip replacements. I'll probably need to address my knees in the next 5 years or so because my ALC was torn and removed 40 years ago, but never repaired. But neither knee is in need of a replacement. I get synvics-one shots every 6 months and those are presently working well enough.

My rheumatologists recommended hip injections based solely on the xrays that showed sever arthritis in both hips. After three injections all failed to give me relief the orthopedic surgeon recommended replacements, again based solely on the xrays. I never had an mri of my hips or knees.'

So you should be able to find a surgeon who can make the determination without an mri.

I wholeheartely agree.. painful, yes, worth it. Yet. I had total knee and boy what an ordeal it was. However, prior to the replacement my life was miserable and would have only gotten worse. I was to the point that a wheelchair would have been next. So, if you are miserable in pain, get er done!!

It was very obvious in the in-hospital rehab center that the knee replacement patients had a much rougher recovery ahead of them. Many of them never even stood up during a session, they just worked on trying to bend the knee joint. Meanwhile all us hip replacement patients were walking around the center (with the aid of walkers and oxycotin), climbing stairs, doing half squats, leg lifts, toe raisers, and practicing getting in and out of the simulation vehicle.

Howdy,

Don't forget to do all your PT. It will make a huge difference in what you can do afterwards.

I had a knee replacement on my right knee due to combat related injury and my biggest hurdle has been getting the strength back in my right leg.

I'm a big guy, 6' 1" 260lbs, here's a pic of me that was taken today in the Smoky Mountain National Park:
1411268019_zps5952f161.jpg

And even though I lift weights 3 days a week with one day dedicated to my legs, my strength in my right leg still lags behind my left and is about 1" in circumference smaller than my left.

Hang in there, suck it up, do your PT and you'll be fine.

Paul

Howdy,

Don't forget to do all your PT. It will make a huge difference in what you can do afterwards.

I had a knee replacement on my right knee due to combat related injury and my biggest hurdle has been getting the strength back in my right leg.

I'm a big guy, 6' 1" 260lbs, here's a pic of me that was taken today in the Smoky Mountain National Park:
1411268019_zps5952f161.jpg

And even though I lift weights 3 days a week with one day dedicated to my legs, my strength in my right leg still lags behind my left and is about 1" in circumference smaller than my left.

Hang in there, suck it up, do your PT and you'll be fine.

Paul

You look exactly as I thought you would, too funny.

Does the sun hurt your skin, basement dweller?

I really don't get why you all like to mix it up so much. (Everyone on any side I mean) Neither the Hatfields nor the McCoys ever actually won. IMO, it's more fun to talk about guns and related topics than to ***** at other people. Just throwing that out there for the heck of it.

I really don't get why you all like to mix it up so much. (Everyone on any side I mean) Neither the Hatfields nor the McCoys ever actually won. IMO, it's more fun to talk about guns and related topics than to ***** at other people. Just throwing that out there for the heck of it.

Don't get me started on you too, aacx22! :biggrin:

It actually is quite refreshing to put a face to some of the names on here.

My top guess is wondering what blues looks like. Self pic blues?

Ps. Grown ups shouldn't say selfie! ;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back