"To Serve and Protect...???"

Words have meaning... and sometimes the meaning of words is dependent upon perspective...

From the perspective of the common man who reads "To serve and protect" on the side of a patrol car those words mean police are there to help people in their daily lives and to save innocents from criminals. And that is also what those words mean to many police officers.

However..........

To some police officers "To serve" means to obey their superiors in every written or unwritten policy and to obey orders without question regardless of the legality or the impact on the rights, and the life, of the common man.

To some police officers "To protect" means to protect their own arse regardless of the cost (financial loss or loss of life) for the common man ... period. How many times have we heard the words... "I want to go home safe to my family at the end of my shift!"? Well... DUH!!!... so does the common man!

Words have meaning.... to some officers the words "To serve and protect" are seen from the same perspective as the words "Fundamentally transform America" are seen by some politicians. It's just the common man doesn't realize there is more to the meaning of words than what they are led to believe.

To be fair... not all police officers have the same perspective as a politician using words to push a personal agenda by misleading the common man. Which is why I started out by saying:

->From the perspective of the common man who reads "To serve and protect" on the side of a patrol car those words mean police are there to help people in their daily lives and to save innocents from criminals. And that is also what those words mean to many police officers.<-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back