thoughts on smith M&P9

beachbum17

Working at at a large firearm store I've dealt with a lot of smith and wesson and even did a 2 hour basic armor/sales course with the reps.

Pros:
-great ergonomics
-low bore axis

Cons:
-terrible trigger and long reset (pro is ok)
- mags are sticky to load like the ruger sr9 mags
- lots of machining imperfections (looked at mine under a low power microscope and the about of burrs was crazy! Glock was near perfect)
- it's a glock rip off. Smith paid $40 to glock for every gun sold of their sigma and sde series and this gun resembles glock internals.

At one point in the armor class the recoil spring was sticking out of the slide past the barrel and the rep says it happens turned the muzzle towards the ceiling and hit the gun on the table incredibly hard to bring the spring back in.

With a Apex trigger job or the pro they are a fine gun. They are reliable, but from my shooting and dealing with them I'm less and less impressed with them compared to Springfield and glock.

I trade mine for a glock, which the apex trigger I think I would of liked it

Apologizes for spelling. I typed it on my phone

Yup, that'll do it.

I actually really liked the M&P 9mm. I rented one for a gun lesson after my Rhino decided not to participate, and again in the Cornered Cat Defensive Handgun class. Never had issues, with the magazines or otherwise, and thought the trigger was great! Of course, I didn't bring a magnifying glass or microscope to search for machining errors... not that I particularly care if it doesn't interfere with the functioning of the gun. I'll take it over a Glock any day... just goes to show, to each his/her own. :biggrin:

I agree sir. It isn't a bad gun, it's reliable I just find the trigger need a little tuning compared to Springfield or glock. Ergonomics are best of the three.

Machining could be a little improved. Just my thoughts.

I agree sir. It isn't a bad gun, it's reliable I just find the trigger need a little tuning compared to Springfield or glock. Ergonomics are best of the three.

Machining could be a little improved. Just my thoughts.

Just FYI, telpinaro is not a "sir".

I've owned my M&P9 now for about two years. I love it. I think the triggers are okay, however, on everyone I own I've, at least, put an Apex sear on them. On, my M&P9 I also put the forward set sear and trigger. Going to put the forward set on my M&P Pro C.O.R.E. I very much dislike Glocks. As someone said to each their own. I know many love their Glocks and others, like me hate them. Oh well.

thoughts on smith M&P9

Wilson Combat has a kit for the M&P 9,40 & 45. I own all 3. I too do not like Glocks. I have found the my Sig Sauer TACOPS and Wilson Combat are my best 45s. But a lot could be me and not the tool. It's all in how you use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back