Those that gouged, we will remember. Those that remained reasonable, thank you.

I was reading a thread on here, and created this.

Should create a list of the gougers. When this is back to normal, don't buy from them.

You can take "gouge" in whatever interpretation- but, i'm sure the example of "cdnn selling lower receivers for $1000 at one point" qualifies-

This is a list of mostly those that price gouged- what did you purchase/attempt to purchase from them- & what prices were the items being offered- and if this is someone who is a local & small time dealer- please list town. This is also a list of "deals" that some people may not be aware of.... which will help them compare prices.
And of course give shout outs to the businesses that never raised their prices and/or kept their prices, in what is in your opinion- reasonable.

I don't have much examples of specific companies that gouged, my experience w/ the super inflated prices was more from walking the gun shows and armslist and gunsamerica.com etc. I did not have a need to buy any ammo- and only bought things for projects that I am working on- at what i considered the pre-Nov 12' prices.

Since I'm working on putting together my lower receiver right now:

1) Many sellers on armslist.com purchased those $70-$80 polymer (such as, and most popularly, New Frontier Armory & OMNI) stripped lower receivers from sites such as Palmetto state armory and others- and selling them on armslist for $150-$250. Today, someone from WA had three of these, selling them for $250 a piece. I say, let him keep those for himself. You can get these for $80 at Lanbo's Armory, Firearm Accessories and Tactical Gear
2) If you want aluminum 30 rd. ar mags- larry potterfield of midway usa is selling them for $14 ea. (2 limit per customer) and aluminum and polymer both- 30 rd. for $15 a piece from classicfirearms.com
3) I've seen the mag tech alloy stripped lower receivers- I own one, and recently bought it at my LGS for $190. Its a pretty nice lower, much lighter than the 7075-T6 lowers.
Palmetto state armory just had a deal the other day for 7075-T6 aluminum stripped lowers for $110.
4) Core 15 and palmetto state armory both have lower parts kit for $75-$80. Cdnn investments has stock kit (6 position stock, buffer and spring) for $30-$40 each.

also:
5) Midway USA I purchased a bolt carrier group for $147. Red Rock Ord. is taking preorders for $180 to be shipped may 1.

I bought an NFA stripped lower - cost me $110 after shipping and transfer fee. Then I paid $15 or $20 for FFL transfer at my LGS. Selling at $150 ain't much profit, not that I'm selling.

Gouging is subjective. Just because prices are high on an item doesn't necessarily mean they are gouging.

I hate high prices just as much as the next guy. But from the perspective of a store owner, they have a tough choice to make
1) Buy high in order to have items in stock. But you have to sell high as well.
2) Limit the quantity per customer.

Both options make customers unhappy. Option 1 gets them branded as a "gouger". Option 2 (assuming still reasonable prices) and they run out of stock (nobody happy). Supply and demand is flipped upside down right now. I'm guessing most places are attempting to manage a mix of #1 and #2.

The legitimate "gougers" had stock of items that were purchased low and now selling at 2x-3x+ the price. But without looking at the stores books (or dust on the product lol), how are we to separate gougers from store owners who've opted for #1?

Gouging is subjective. Just because prices are high on an item doesn't necessarily mean they are gouging.

I hate high prices just as much as the next guy. But from the perspective of a store owner, they have a tough choice to make
1) Buy high in order to have items in stock. But you have to sell high as well.
2) Limit the quantity per customer.

Both options make customers unhappy. Option 1 gets them branded as a "gouger". Option 2 (assuming still reasonable prices) and they run out of stock (nobody happy). Supply and demand is flipped upside down right now. I'm guessing most places are attempting to manage a mix of #1 and #2.

The legitimate "gougers" had stock of items that were purchased low and now selling at 2x-3x+ the price. But without looking at the stores books (or dust on the product lol), how are we to separate gougers from store owners who've opted for #1?

We have been going the option 1 route while looking for the lowest prices we can find. Our price on .223 has gone from $8/20 to $12.95 for Tula while our locally made ammo has gone from $10 to $17.95 with most of that being a passed along cost. When and if the prices to us drop, we will lower our prices too. Even on ammo that we already have. We keep about 2 weeks to 1 month's sales on hand to avoid getting stuck at high priced buys and then a price drop.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe this fits the definition of gouging. Usually, gouging involves essential items such as food gas water etc.

I do not necessarily disagree that the practice of artificially inflating prices is unethical. The problem is, somebody could put something on an auction for a reasonable price and it will be bid up to a very unreasonable level. That, to me, fits under the theory of the "greater fool," not gouging.

stop whining! if you think the prices are too high for your parts, DON'T BUY THEM! sheesh!

Sorry someone held a gun to your head and forced you to read this thread. Sheesh...... move on.

Once all this crap has called down most of my LGS will have lost my business to larger chains like Sportsmans Warehouse and online retailers like MidwayUsa, Brownells, ect..... They understood that keeping their prices low bought loyalty. I would rather be limited to 2 magazines at a dollar or two premium than all I can afford at triple the cost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Bobs gun and archery in MA seems to be true to his prices. He is selling an Sig Sauer M400 for 1199.00 which is what the msrp is. He has a stag there for about 50.00 less than msrp. Ammo is up a touch but not bad. IDC in Clinton, MA is selling Winchester white box, you know the ones at Walmart for $14, for just under $30. His prices on guns are about double what they are worth IMO.

There was an ole saying that stated "if you think you are being used then you probably are". You can now add to that "If you think that you are being gouged; then you probably are". We all know that the prices of guns and ammo are sky high and limited. Personally, I am not going to be gouged because I am not going to pay inflated prices. When the industry and everybody else comes back to there senses is when I will begin to purchase again. It is the same with gasoline prices. The ride is parked and we have adjusted how we drive because the prices are so high.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe this fits the definition of gouging. Usually, gouging involves essential items such as food gas water etc.

I see that this is where we disagree. To me, items such as ammunition which might one day insure my very survival are in the same category as food and water. Maybe not essential to some, but highly essential to others.

For many its supply and demand and locals dealers passing on the cost to buyers which they have no choice. Its discerning those from the true price gougers that can become tricky during times like these. Having a long-standing, good relationship with your local dealer is paramount so that at the end of the day, you know the bottom line. Online dealers are fine...but typically they can't beat your good ol' FFL dealer when times like these are upon us. My $.02.

For many its supply and demand and locals dealers passing on the cost to buyers which they have no choice. Its discerning those from the true price gougers that can become tricky during times like these. Having a long-standing, good relationship with your local dealer is paramount so that at the end of the day, you know the bottom line. Online dealers are fine...but typically they can't beat your good ol' FFL dealer when times like these are upon us. My $.02.

Your good LGS unfortunately seems to be the exception, not the rule. Take this for example, Brownells continues to fulfill backorders at around msrp, a national chain sporting goods store gets them in occasionally at sells them at a two to three dollar markup, the same price they were charging before this mess. A local military surplus store/hardware store, gets them in occasionally with around a four dollar markup, around a dollar more than before. Two of my three LGS get a larger supply in more often than the others and is changing a ten+ dollar markup.

Now, are the stores with the lower prices taking a loss for my sake? Or are they following what they said, and that their prices will stay the same until their suppliers prices go up.

And if that is true then "supply and demand" for my LGS is really "they control the supply so they can demand what they want". FYI, I don't believe that magpul is selling any way other than to retailers.

I won't even get into the stacks of HUNDREDS of pmags for sale at 60$ each at gun shows and online classifieds.

That is my .02¢ not the 20.00$ opinion you would get at my LGS or from those people that happen to have some for sale.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The store owner needs to sell his inventory at a price high enough to buy replacements ... regardless of his purchase price ... otherwise he will end up with empty shelves and a negative number on the balance sheet. That's not my definition of gouging.

Like I said- the term gouging is very subjective- but the example of Cdnn supposedly charging $1000 for stripped lowers....

And when I gave the ex of people selling for $150-250 - yes I do believe personally that the guy from WA with three consecutive serial numbered north frontier armory poly lowers can keep those for himself. But didnt state anything about those selling them for $150 etc. . Just my opinion. And thought itd post some places that offer the exact product for $170-180 less.

stop whining! if you think the prices are too high for your parts, DON'T BUY THEM! sheesh!

I think it's humorous that you need to follow my posts and make the most noise whining about anything I "whine" about. I found some great deals online and have the right to share them.

I don't have much examples of specific companies that gouged

Among the worst price gougers on the internet, we have Cheaperthandirt (ironic), Bulkammo.com, and LuckyGunner.com

None of those websites will get my business. Typical $1.00+ per round of .223. Not to mention CTD charging $80 for magazines... Screw them all. I hope they go out of business.

No one has gouged anyone.

Things have changed, have you not noticed?

The days of old are OVER! now get over it.

There will be NO ammo, a trickle here and there.

Some of us saw it coming and prepared.

Whiners.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back