The Truth About Assault Weapons

This was a very educational read!! I am not a gun owner, but I support the 2nd amendment in America's right to bear arms!! I have always heard the term 'assault' rifle and was actually in a discussion with someone regarding this very topic today. So this article was much needed in a very timely manner!!! Thank you so much for this information!! I am sharing with my friends on Facebook!!!

A revelation hit me this morning about the designation "AR-15" being used to identify these rifles, with the "AR" meaning "Assault Rifle" to many people as I understand it. Therein may lie the problem! Maybe the manufacturers should come up with a new designated name for these style of rifle, such as "MSR-15" meaning "Modern Sporting Rifle", or "CSR-15" meaning "Civilian Sporting Rifle", or something similiar. They are not called "AW-15" meaning "Assault Weapon" as shown in the original post's information, which clearly has no meaning except as a political ploy to get support to ban them. Most people who favor banning these rifles have no idea about the difference in an "Assault Rifle", which has fully-automatic firing capability, and the civilian models which are semi-automatic capable only. In addition, as far as I understand it, fully automatic Assault Rifles are already banned unless you have a license to own one, so maybe everyone should not be so upset in thinking that the civlian style rifles will be banned. It seems that the public and the government officials wantiing a ban on the "Assault Rifle" should be made to understand that they are already banned!
My biggest concern here is that if the civilian style semi-automatic rifles are banned, the anti-gunnies and their political stooges will then go after all semi-automatic guns, including pistols and shotguns. The information in the original post needs to be got out to the public and the politicians!
Addendum : And for what it's worth, I just e-mailed my Representative a letter that included the link to the original post, and I would urge all of you to do the same! I can only hope it does some good!
Link RemovedLink Removed

Last edited:
A revelation hit me this morning about the designation "AR-15" being used to identify these rifles, with the "AR" meaning "Assault Rifle" as I understand it. Therein may lie the problem! Maybe the manufacturers should come up with a new designated name for these style of rifle, such as "MSR-15" meaning "Modern Sporting Rifle", or "CSR-15" meaning "Civilian Sporting Rifle, or something similiar. They are not called AW-15" meaning "Assault Weapon" as shown in the original post's information, which clearly has no meaning except as a political ploy to get support to ban them. Most people who favor banning these rifles have no idea about the difference in an "Assault Rifle", which has fully-automatic firing capability, and the civilian models which are semi-automatic capable only. In addition, as far as I understand it, fully automatic Assault Rifles are already banned unless you have a license to own one, so maybe everyone should not be so upset in thinking that the civlian style rifles will be banned. It seems that the public and the government officials wantiing a ban on the "Assault Rifle" should be made to understand that they are already banned!
My biggest convern here is that if the civilian style semi-automatic rifles are banned, the anti-gunnies and their political stooges will then go after all semi-automatic guns, including pistols and shotguns. The information in the original post needs to be got out to the public and the politicians!
Addendum : And for what it's worth, I just e-mailed my Representative a letter that included the link to the original post, and I would urge all of you to do the same! I can only hope it does some good!

Thank you for writing your representative. They will likely not read/watch the video any longer than it takes to determine that you are against a ban. They will then chalk you up in the appropriate category. one or two letters a week over the next year will then reinforce your message and convince them of your sincerity of purpose.

The term that seems to be gaining momentum is "Modern Sporting Rifle".

The uneducated public may not know that fully automatic rifles are already regulated but the anti-gunnies and their political stooges know fully well, and don't care. In fact, it is their stated objective to ban all semi-autos and then go after the rest of the firearms until we have none. We need to make our representatives fearful enough of our just wrath to respect our rights.

AR stands for Armalite Rifle, not assualt rifle... so, it's actually Armalite Rifle model 15. AK doesn't stand for assualt karbine or anything like that, it stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova... just so we're all straight on this.

I do get the discussion, the term assualt rifle scares the pants off the ignorant among us.

Thanks for the clarification as to the true meaning of "AR"!
Addendum : I have just completed doing something that I have seldom, if ever done - I have fired off a letter to my Representative as well about this article and it's informative information!
Link RemovedLink Removed

A revelation hit me this morning about the designation "AR-15" being used to identify these rifles, with the "AR" meaning "Assault Rifle" to many people as I understand it. Therein may lie the problem! Maybe the manufacturers should come up with a new designated name for these style of rifle, such as "MSR-15" meaning "Modern Sporting Rifle", or "CSR-15" meaning "Civilian Sporting Rifle", or something similiar. They are not called "AW-15" meaning "Assault Weapon" as shown in the original post's information, which clearly has no meaning except as a political ploy to get support to ban them. Most people who favor banning these rifles have no idea about the difference in an "Assault Rifle", which has fully-automatic firing capability, and the civilian models which are semi-automatic capable only. In addition, as far as I understand it, fully automatic Assault Rifles are already banned unless you have a license to own one, so maybe everyone should not be so upset in thinking that the civlian style rifles will be banned. It seems that the public and the government officials wantiing a ban on the "Assault Rifle" should be made to understand that they are already banned!
My biggest concern here is that if the civilian style semi-automatic rifles are banned, the anti-gunnies and their political stooges will then go after all semi-automatic guns, including pistols and shotguns. The information in the original post needs to be got out to the public and the politicians!
Link RemovedLink Removed
The problem is that the Gov't ( aka Congress, IE Dimwit Feinstein ) wrote the original AWB and that defined what an "Assault Rifle" was. Semi-auto with an outline like a Colt AR-15, an AK-47/AK-72, MAC-10, or such that just looked like them were banned if they had more than two banned features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back