The Law

Ray Conkright

Jason said on today message "the law is very easy to learn and it’s mostly common sense. Of course, you can go to your state’s website or look on this site for information."

Am I the only one that has a lot a trouble sorting out the legal language used by the states. Maybe it is just Colorado!

Don't even get me started. Particularly with Massachusetts law.

Frequently, gun laws are wordy, unclearly written, and often contradictory. It would benefit anyone to spend the money to have a couple hours' discussion with an attorney specializing in his state's firearms laws. (I keep meaning to do that.)

As an instructor, I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable on Federal and State laws. Yet on here, I've had my incorrect understanding of laws pointed out on a few occasions. (There's one guy here who always jumps me on the most nitpicky, hair-splitting, BS stuff and isn't particularly nice about it either.) Point being, it's not something you'll learn overnight. You'll get more familiar with your laws over time, and will always have to work to keep up with the changes.

As important is the practice you will receive in following the convolutions of the sentence structure and obscure references that are used to obfuscate the meaning. I often find myself spending 20 to 30 minutes referring back to section C paragraph 2b and all the others just to be certain what I think I know is actually what it says. I think that this is done on purpose to discourage the people from paying attention to what is really going on.

The bottom line is that there is no substitute for being able to read and understand the actual text of a law for yourself. That way, you are not dependent upon second or third hand info which may or may not be right.
Couple that with a visit to an attorney and you can learn about all the case law affecting the statute and find out what you may have missed.

No it is not always easy to understand the law. Even attorneys and judges disagree with what the law says. Then again they starve to death if they all agree. This does not relieve you of the responsibility of reading the law for yourself.

I had already read the appropriate laws a couple times before my CC class. My instructor stated some legal information that I still can't find in the Statutes. Am I wrong, or is he? Does he remember a law from a State he used to live in? My instructor is a State Trooper. Not every professional knows or agrees with the interpretation of every law. If you have not read the law you will not know which questions to ask. If you read the law you will learn things you had never considered. Being difficult is no excuse for not doing something related to your training. It is difficult to reach a high level of skill with your weapon. It is just a lot more fun than reading a law book. One will help keep you alive the other will help keep you free.

If you are going to read the laws of any state, you had better get a "Blacks Law Dictionary." Every day words, don't mean diddly squat to an attorney. The slithering snakes writing the law, do so to keep their buddies in business.

I have very little respect for the vast majority of law makers. There are a few good one's, but they are vastly out numbered by their polar opposites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back