The designer round: .40S&W

Penetration isn't the only thing to consider when comparing the 9mm to the .40. Don't forget kinetic energy. In your examples you talk of muzzle velocity and penetration (both calibers were similar), muzzle energy wasn't considered. That's an important subject. Tissue damage is another.

Don't blame the round for guns that go boom , blame the gun maker for poor design. If the gun goes boom because of a round that was reloaded with am improper amount of powder, that's a different story. Also, as gun makers made their pistols for the round instead of adapting what they had, reliability became a non-issue. Again, don't blame the round.

I like my S&W M&P 40.

The designer round: .40S&W

I love my .40. I completely disagree with the author on recoil. The .45 Glocks I've shot have more felt recoil to me than my .40 Glocks. I shoot .40 because it IS a compromise between tissue damaging surface area and mag capacity. Penetration is more or less equal between all three. Shot placement is still the most important factor.

It may be because I like steel pistols instead of tupperware or it may be because after you've fired an M110A2 on Zone 8 redbag nothing really seems like it has any recoil but I've never noticed that the .40 has all that much recoil. I don't see too much difference between my S&W 6906 (9mm) and my S&W 4006 (the original 40 S&W)

The .40 just never won me over. I've shot a few .40 cal. sidearms, but the caliber just didn't click for me. I have no reason besides I like .45 better. Could be I perceived the recoil a bit snappier, or it could all just be in my mind. I'm sure if a .40 is all I had, I'd get used to it!

So, another worthless opinion to add to the heap. :wink:

I jumped on the .40 when the first gen Glock's hit the market. Early on, the .40 loadings were a tad less impressive than the current crop of 9mm or .45's so while I loved the gun (G22), the ammo left me unimpressed.
Now, with newer guns being built around the .40 instead of just beefed up 9mm offerings and the newer crop of ammo, I'm back for more of the .40.....
And loving it!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

My XD40SC is my favorite handgun, a fist full of attitude.

Recoil is totally manageable, and I have no problem with very quick double-taps within 2 - 3" of 1st round at 7 or 10 yards.

Love my .40 as well. I can switch between my Sr40 and my dads glock 9mm with no additional felt recoil.

Ammo is plentiful, not as cheap as 9mm but I can live with it, and it is a decent compromise in my book.

To each their own, as long as your comfortable shooting it and carrying it.

The article itself states it well on why to have one. Ammo was and still is available. Take out all the other factors and any gun that is loaded is better that a cool caliber that is empty.

I like my M&P 40, it handles well, shoots very consistently and fits my hand comfortably.

Works for me.

Not a bad article, but I don't agree with all the conclusions drawn by the author. Yep, the .40 S&W is a "designer" round, as is every round out there. In my opinion it is a pretty well "designed" round. There is no such thing as the "perfect" round for all occasions. I have not experienced the difficulties in performance or control with the .40 that the author relates. I personally prefer it to 9mm, but I certainly understand that the 9mm round and the firearms it's used with are an excellent (perhaps best) choice for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. As far as availability, .40 got pretty rare in my area for quite a while. It's showing up more now though while 9mm is still off the shelves.

There is a reason that most state police agencies issue guns chambered in .40S&W. Designed to deliver substantial energy into the bg, and still permit mag capacity of 12 rounds or greater,

There is a reason that most state police agencies issue guns chambered in .40S&W. Designed to deliver substantial energy into the bg, and still permit mag capacity of 12 rounds or greater,

To be fair a lot of police departments are going back to the 9mm

We are experiencing exactly the opposite. Most of the CT police departments are going to .45. CSP, Hartford, Bridgeport, And most others who have budget money are going to 45. Surprisingly enough, at least to me, the M&P. They also mandate carrying 3 spare mags of 45.

Probably because cops ain't known for their accuracy, so more rounds. I suspect that most of the people on the gun boards, that spend time at the range on a regular basis are a better shot than most of the city cops on duty tonight. Many LEO's qualify once or twice a year, and probably shoot less than 100 - 200 rounds a year.

Probably because cops ain't known for their accuracy, so more rounds. I suspect that most of the people on the gun boards, that spend time at the range on a regular basis are a better shot than most of the city cops on duty tonight. Many LEO's qualify once or twice a year, and probably shoot less than 100 - 200 rounds a year.

+1
especially the NYPD and the local yokel NJ coppers, up there if you "like" your guns too much you get branded a nutcase

Hey guys/gals, sorry to start a new thread this way, didn't see any other choice. Does any one remember a .22 semi pistol that came out in the later 40's called the Lightning? It was too radically modern looking, didn't sell and disappeared. Dad had one and loved it but traded for an S&W Masterpiece. I'd like any help you can give me on its background, maker, and if anyone still has one in the drawer that can be had. Thanks. Bigstonebeach in Delaware. Respond to this post or [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back