Texas House passes Carry in employer's Parking Lot

Horkos

RT @NRANews Texas: House passes bill to allow guns in parking lots - http://bit.ly/mRDLi1 #NRA

I would hope this was the case

I would think that an employer cannot search a car unless that employer is a law enforcement agency and has a warrant for the search. A vehicle is an extension of a person's home, is it not?

most employers, as a condition of employment, make you sign something saying that you understand as a condition of employment while on their property you basicly(spelling?) have no private property. If they suspect contriband they can search bags, lockers, and vehicles all without a warrent or anything like that. I am experienced with corporate security and it is this way with most companies. You can refuse compliance but then they just fire you. This new law will say that regardless of search rights issues, regardless of whether or not your company finds out and/or doesn't like it. They cant do anything to you for haveing it in your vehicle or tell you you can't have it.

I would think that an employer cannot search a car unless that employer is a law enforcement agency and has a warrant for the search. A vehicle is an extension of a person's home, is it not?

This is exactly how it should be. If my employer checks or even attempts to check my vehicle it's a violation of my 4th Amendment rights.

most employers, as a condition of employment, make you sign something saying that you understand as a condition of employment while on their property you basicly(spelling?) have no private property. If they suspect contriband they can search bags, lockers, and vehicles all without a warrent or anything like that. I am experienced with corporate security and it is this way with most companies. You can refuse compliance but then they just fire you. This new law will say that regardless of search rights issues, regardless of whether or not your company finds out and/or doesn't like it. They cant do anything to you for haveing it in your vehicle or tell you you can't have it.

This is where the employer should then be held 100% liable for ANYTHING that happens to the employee to and from work should the employer choose to make the signing of such a document a condition of employment. I say anything because if it's defined in specific terms employers can and will find a way to circumvent it.

Horkos- You are right- forgot about that- I should know this.
Iteach- True, but many states still allow these rules on private property. I had someone come to a party at my house and I KNOW FOR A FACT that he had drugs in his possession. I could have arrested him (given my profession) however I chose to kick him out. Issuing a 'trespass notice' in some states makes it a felony to return to the property (especially if anything else illegal is going on).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back