Texas CHL law question re: alcohol treatment

Kensterfly

Texas Law says something about ineligibility for TWO convictions within the ten years prior to application for Class B or greater offenses relating to use of controlled substances or alcohol. Furthermore, in the application itself there was a question asking if the applicant had received treatment for addiction or abuse of drugs or alcohol (not exact wording.) I think the law states a five year period on the treatment.

My friend (no, it's really not me) had two alcohol arrests about 12 years ago. Only one conviction. No problem as it is more than ten years.
But I can't find anything in the law pertaining to receiving treatment for drugs or alcohol. I'm wondering if receiving treatment makes you ineligible. That would be a bad thing as there are probably many CHLs who have never received treatments but probably NEED it! My friend has been dry and sober for eight years, leads a lawful, loving and productive life and is actively involved in his church.

So, the question is, what effect will going through a week long 'dry out' session and eight years of AA have on his ability to get his CHL? It looks like he would be clear on both issues: convictions over ten years ago and treatment more than five years ago. Does that sound right?

Texas Statute 411.172:

GOVERNMENT CODE CHAPTER 411. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS
(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(7), a person is incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun if the person:
(1) has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or intellectual ability;
(e) The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subsection (d)(1):
(1) involuntary psychiatric hospitalization;
(2) psychiatric hospitalization;
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance;

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back