Terry

terry

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has shot a 12gauge with a pistol grip. Is it really a punishing experiance? Is it easier than with a normal stock? It may be a strange question but I'm debating installing a pistol grip. Any advice appreciated.

Terry

Are you refering to a standard stock with a pistol grip on it, like the M16. Or are your referring to something like the shotgun in the picture.

mossberg%20roadblocker.jpg

terry:208973 said:
Looking for some feedback from anyone who has shot a 12gauge with a pistol grip. Is it really a punishing experiance? Is it easier than with a normal stock? It may be a strange question but I'm debating installing a pistol grip. Any advice appreciated.

Terry
I have a pistol grip on my mossberg. Birdshot is easily no big deal. Shooting buckshot crushed my hand. 3 inch magnum loads were unforgiving. Your support hand is mainly for balance. Your grip hand absorbs all the abuse. At one point my hand hurt so bad I couldnt hold a pen. But what a rush, lots of fun. I like the pistol grip better for in the house. Clearing door ways with it is much more managable. With only 2 points of contact aiming is more of a challange but for my purposes, all I need to do is point and click. At the range its more fun than with a shoulder stock. I dont recommend it for hunting. Only for personal defense uses. And if you choose to shoot the heavy stuff hold on tight, very tight. Thats my experience with it hope that helps some.

Terry, Horkos is correct. The loads make a big difference. Also, a person 6 ft tall, with good grip and musculature , who works out with weight lifting will have an easier time than a person 5'3", 115 lbs who does not exercise.

It's certainly a lot of fun, though.

While I realize that you are refering to 12 gauge, have you considered using a 410 instead? Mossberg makes a 410 shotgun for home defense. Many people falsely think of a 410 as a 'kids gun'. The reality is a slug from a 410 developes 700-800 pounds of muzzel energy giving it more than a 357 magnum. Winchester makes a self-defense load called 'stop the threat' which has 3 projectiles and 12 BBs. The recoil is light and it is easy to rapid fire. This is very important in self defense situations. It also makes it easier for those of us with arthritus. While a 410 is not a long range weapon, within 200-300 feet it is quite deadly and home defense scenarios are much much closer.

Ehh, I have both. Just don't be a pazzy and you'll be okay.

Seriously, If the pistol grip gun has no butt stock... I'd hip shoot it or hold it around chest high. Don't want to knock your own teeth out or something.

I have a Mossy 500 cruiser. Pistol grip with a folding stock. I use the low-recoil 2-3/4" ammo. It's easy as pie. Tried it with a 3" magnum from the hip once. My right arm below the elbow instantly went numb. That was the last time I tried that. I'll save the 3-inchers for my full-sized Rem 870. No need to give myself a stress fracture of the ulna or radius!

I would think that you would want a laser for aiming, so you don't try something silly like lifting it up to your shoulder to take aim.

I've thought about picking up a 2nd 870 and going all tactical on it, but one day when the family was out of the house, I went room-to room with the standard 20" barrel and shoulder stock and didn't see any where a pistol grip would have helped me.

Also, since I've hunter with it, I have an instinct to bring it in tight to my shoulder. That would not work with a pistol grip. I think I'm safer without it. I'll save pistol grips for pistols..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back