Tennessee non-resident CC permit

ryanb25

I live in Georgia, my license is honored by 23 states. I had heard about people getting permits from other states which are honored in more states and found that the Tennessee license was honored in 39 states. I also was able to find that Tennessee issues non-resident carry permits, but I can't seem to find anything on how to actually get one. I do travel a lot so I'm trying to expand the amount of states I can carry in.

Tennessee ... N/R with exceptions

Link Removed
Link Removed

I think you'd have more satisfaction/success with another state's N/R permit, e.g., Virginia -- unless you work in Tennessee.

Normally Tennessee would give you the most bang for your buck, including Washington, Nevada, Minnesota and Delaware, which you wouldn't get with a Virginia license. The problem is however, that Tennessee only issues non-resident permits to people who work in Tennessee, and who are licensed in states that don't have reciprocity agreements with Tennessee (Tennessee Code Annotated Section 39-17-1351(r)(3)(C)(i)). Since Tennessee now honors virtually all the states that border it, you effectively won't get a non-resident license. What you're left with really depends on where you think you might go. And keep in mind that some states don't recognize non-resident licenses from other states even though they may recognize a normal resident license from that same state.
A Virginia non-resident license would add Virginia, Nevada, New Mexico and Nebraska to your list of states where you can legally carry. I don't know how easy it is to get a VA license, or how much it costs.
Florida, a very commonly obtained non-resident license, would add New Mexico, Nebraska, Virginia and Delaware. My wife has a FL non-resident license. It was expensive and the paperwork was moderately complicated. She also doesn't need it anymore since Ohio expanded our reciprocity last year, so her Florida license no longer gives her any additional states.
A Utah license, also a somewhat common choice, would give you Nebraska, Virginia and Delaware. You have to physically attend a Utah approved course, but they're usually available just about anywhere, and the price is very reasonable. I've attended the course but I never sent away for the license because I no longer need it for the same reason my wife doesn't need her Florida license.
So it really depends on where you want to go. All of them give you Virginia and Nebraska, so you don't need to worry about them. The Virginia and Florida licenses both give you New Mexico, so the difference for them is just a matter of whether Delaware or Nevada seem more important to you. If neither one seems important, and the ability to get a Utah license is both cheap and easy in your area, then you may decide that's the best way to go. Or you could keep doing research and come up with a better option. What's more likely than that is that another member here will come up with something I haven't thought of. That's one of the advantages of this forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back