temporarily in MA?

blarg

Hi, I have a question regarding MA ownership/CC laws.

My wife and I are GA residents and both have valid CWL's. I was just offered a temporary contract in MA for 3 months. I have looked over the laws in MA and it appears that getting a temporary license to HAVE and even carry is not impossible to get, at least on paper....but how hard it is in real life?

I grew up in MA and left when I was 18 and went to college (early 90's and I brought a Taurus 9mm pistol with 15 round mags). When I returned a few years later for a visit, I called the local police department, talked to the chief, who basically remembered me (I was always making the local paper...and it's a small town) and said "just come in the day you arrive and I'll take care of it". I did exactly that, we had a little chat (very little of it having to do with firearms other than he liked the idea of armed citizens) and then he said "don't worry about it"...handed me his card and if any other departments hassle me to give the the card and have them call him.

Now...I realize it won't be that easy THIS time, but how hard would it be to get a permit to keep my and my wife's PD guns (it would be REALLY awesome if we could get CC permit reciprocity) and our sporting shotguns while we're there for about 3 months? I'll probably turn the job down if we can't bring our guns. I've done it before with a job in Chicago.

Acording to Mass laws you need to have the liscense before entering the state with a gun. Your best bet is calling the state police to see if there is a temporary liscense you can get or what your best options are, as they are the ones that now deal with out of state liscensing.

I do have family in MA that are licensed and can hold the guns for us I just don't want to get into a situation where the process takes so long I won't get the permit until after the contract ends. Like I said, we have Georgia permits so we've already passed the background check. Guess it's time to call the state police.

Thanks!

aside from the hoops and such I have to jump through, does anyone have experience with doing this? How likely is my permit to get approved? How much "reason" do I need...I don't carry large wads of cash and I'm not a Democratic Party donor so I'm not really "important". Is "because it's my constitutional right" reason enough?

I don't want to commit to a job and then be denied my permit. that would suck.

Hi, I have a question regarding MA ownership/CC laws.

My wife and I are GA residents and both have valid CWL's. I was just offered a temporary contract in MA for 3 months. I have looked over the laws in MA and it appears that getting a temporary license to HAVE and even carry is not impossible to get, at least on paper....but how hard it is in real life?

I grew up in MA and left when I was 18 and went to college (early 90's and I brought a Taurus 9mm pistol with 15 round mags). When I returned a few years later for a visit, I called the local police department, talked to the chief, who basically remembered me (I was always making the local paper...and it's a small town) and said "just come in the day you arrive and I'll take care of it". I did exactly that, we had a little chat (very little of it having to do with firearms other than he liked the idea of armed citizens) and then he said "don't worry about it"...handed me his card and if any other departments hassle me to give the the card and have them call him.

Now...I realize it won't be that easy THIS time, but how hard would it be to get a permit to keep my and my wife's PD guns (it would be REALLY awesome if we could get CC permit reciprocity) and our sporting shotguns while we're there for about 3 months? I'll probably turn the job down if we can't bring our guns. I've done it before with a job in Chicago.

Getting a Non-Resident LTC isn't TOO hard. You will have to take a NRA/MA approved safety course. (If your current NRA wasn't given my a MA approved instructor it is not valid in MA). Apply for the permit and get it. There IS a catch though. While you can apply through the mail you will still have to meet with the FRB in Chelsea to get fingerprinted and interviewed, then they mail out your LTC. Whether it's issued without restrictions or not depends on you. Non-Residents typically need to show "need" to get an unrestricted permit on the first go-around. Many restricted non-res permits have their restrictions lifted on renewal (1yr). Already having your permit in another states usually helps but everything depends on your reason given and your interview. If you have family in MA it makes sense either way to get it if you travel there. The permit you want to apply for is LTC-A.

So when the web site says 40 days, it's 40 days after the interview? At that rate I'll probably be almost done with the contract by the time the permit arrives. Oh well.

Thanks for the info... I'll probably start the process anyway for next time... Do they register serial numbers?

So when the web site says 40 days, it's 40 days after the interview? At that rate I'll probably be almost done with the contract by the time the permit arrives. Oh well.

Thanks for the info... I'll probably start the process anyway for next time... Do they register serial numbers?

The 40 day thing usually goes over sadly, MA does have registration but it wouldn't apply to you being a non-resident. Same goes with people moving into the state with guns they already have.

Well, looks like MA managed to keep me from doing business in the state - I just got another contract offered to me in Florida - where my permit is valid, the client said he doesn't care if I carry on the job site, and I wouldn't be the only one carrying! Also, there's no state income tax in Florida. Woohoo!

sounds like you have your mind made up....I know I would..... btw.... if you ever apply for a MA permit...it is a LTC-A when asked for what purpose..reply "for all lawful purposes" that is all they need to know

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back